Schumacher’s old teams, Ferrari and Mercedes, show support

Leave a comment

Ferrari and Mercedes, who both worked with seven-time Formula One World Champion Michael Schumacher over the course of his career, have each issued statements wishing their former driver well.

It was at Ferrari that Schumacher (pictured, from 2004) claimed five consecutive World Championships from 2000 to 2004 and became the most dominant driver of his era.

Following his first retirement in 2006, Schumacher would eventually return to the sport with Mercedes for a three-year run from 2010 to 2012 before leaving F1 for a second time.

“Everyone at Ferrari has been in a state of anxiety since hearing about Michael Schumacher’s accident,” said the Scuderia’s statement from Maranello. “That includes the president, Luca di Montezemolo, who through the Scuderia team principal Stefano Domenicali is in constant contact with the family and those close to the German champion.

“Montezemolo has offered his encouragement and support at this very difficult time, with the hope that better news will come soon.”

In its own statement, Mercedes said its team was “shocked” to learn of the severe injuries sustained by Schumacher in a skiing accident Sunday in France.

Schumacher remains in critical condition and is in an induced coma at a hospital in the French city of Grenoble.

“Following the serious injuries sustained by Michael Schumacher in a skiing accident yesterday in France, the thoughts and sympathies of all at Mercedes-Benz Motorsport and the Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team are with Michael, his family and friends,” the statement said.

“We have been shocked to learn that he is in a critical condition and are closely monitoring the latest medical bulletins from Grenoble. We all know the depth of Michael’s fighting spirit and send him all our strength and support in this latest battle. We sincerely hope that he will make a full recovery and will be with us again soon.”

Hartley’s F1 grid penalty streak continues in Abu Dhabi

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Brendon Hartley’s record of receiving a grid penalty at every Formula 1 race he has started is set to continue in Abu Dhabi this weekend after Toro Rosso was forced to change part of his Renault power unit following the last race in Brazil.

Since making his F1 debut at the United States Grand Prix last month, Hartley has faced a grid drop at all three races he has started so far amid ongoing reliability difficulties for power unit supplier Renault.

After being forced to retire from the last race in Brazil two weeks ago due to an engine issue, Hartley has received a 10-place grid penalty for Abu Dhabi after it was confirmed Toro Rosso had changed the MGU-H on his power unit.

Hartley is yet to score any points in F1, having retired from two of his three races so far to make his debut run to P13 in Austin his best result to date.

The Toro Rosso driver finished 20th in FP1 and 19th in FP2 during Friday’s practice sessions in Abu Dhabi as he continued to get to grips with the Yas Marina Circuit.