Schumacher’s manager guards against false reports

Leave a comment

We’re in a case of no news is no news with Michael Schumacher as he recovers from injuries sustained in his skiing accident on Sunday, and he remains in critical but stable condition in University Center Hospital in Grenoble, France.

That message was fully confirmed today by Schumacher’s manager, Sabine Kehm, who stressed once more that the only official updates will come from either Schumacher’s medical or management team. A series of press conferences has served as the best form of update since the accident, although one journalist attempted to gain access and dressed in disguise as a priest.

A camera fixed to Schumacher’s helmet was not also handed over voluntarily, Kehm said. Here’s her full statement from Saturday:

“Michael’s condition remains critical but stable. We would like to clearly stress that any information regarding Michael’s health not coming from the doctors treating him or from his management must be treated as invalid and pure speculation.”

“The family cares only for Michael’s health.”

“Michael’s helmet camera was voluntarily given to the investigating authorities by the family. That this should have been done against the wishes of the family is untrue.”

“We ask you to respect the continued privacy of the family.”

“In consultation with the doctors treating Michael, it is not expected that there will be any press conference before Monday.”

Also of note, former Formula One driver Robert Kubica has weighed in on the matter, considering he has been through a critical injury at a point in his career. He survived a near life-threatening rally accident in 2011.

“I was in a similar situation and I know media can play quite a hard game in a very difficult period for him, his family and close friends,” Kubica told Autosport.

Hartley says debut F1 point would be ‘a dream’ from last on grid

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Brendon Hartley says scoring a point on his Formula 1 debut would be “a dream” after being resigned to last place on the grid for the United States Grand Prix following an engine penalty.

Porsche factory driver Hartley was drafted in by Toro Rosso to replace Pierre Gasly for the USGP when the Frenchman was ruled out due to clashing commitments in Super Formula.

Despite having not driven an F1 car since 2012, Hartley came within one-tenth of a second of making it through to Q2 on Saturday at the Circuit of The Americas, ultimately qualifying 18th.

“Obviously I’d love to be quicker but we knew we were starting at the back, so we put a lot of focus on long runs, getting the peak performance out of this Pirelli tire I didn’t get today,” Hartley told NBCSN after the race.

“In FP3 I had a good feeling. There’s a lot of quirky things to manage with these tires. Honestly I should be happy with how the weekend’s gone so far.”

The New Zealander will start last due to a 25-place grid penalty for changes made to his power unit ahead of practice on Friday, and is daring to dream of making the top 10 in his first race out of a sports car for more than five years.

“I don’t do the 24 hours completely alone!” Hartley joked. “It’s quick. It’s physical to drive. I’ll be happy to be done after an hour and a half.

“A point would be a dream starting from the back. If I can move forward and put a race together, I’ll be happy.”

The United States Grand Prix is live on NBCSN and the NBC Sports app from 2pm ET on Sunday.