Mayfield pleads guilty to three misdemeanors, avoids jail time

Leave a comment

Former Sprint Cup driver Jeremy Mayfield (pictured, from 2012) has pleaded guilty to three misdemeanors – two for possession of stolen goods and one for possession of drug paraphernalia – in a North Carolina court this afternoon.

However, Mayfield was able to avoid jail time and, according to the Charlotte Observer, will instead serve a 45-day suspended sentence along with an 18-month period of unsupervised probation. He will also have to pay $88,124.41 in restitution to victims as well as $1,100 in fines and other costs.

Mayfield was arrested in November of 2011 after local police conducted a search of his now-former home, which was recently burned down as part of a firefighters’ training exercise. The police found drugs as well as almost $100,000 in stolen goods in the search.

In November of 2012, Mayfield was kicked off the property. He must apply for reinstatement into NASCAR after the sanctioning body suspended him in 2009 following a positive drug test for methamphetamine.

After his court appearance this afternoon, Mayfield said according to the Sporting News’ Bob Pockrass that he would consider going into NASCAR’s Road to Recovery program if it would help him get back in the sport.

“I’m not sure what we’re going to do now,” Mayfield said according to Pockrass. “We’re going to wake up tomorrow morning and figure that out…I’m not sure what I want to do yet.

“In some way [I want to race]. I’m not sure what way yet. I love racing. That is what I love to do and what I’d like to do, I’m just not sure to what extent or not really even sure that will be in our future.”

In a statement from Catawba County (N.C.) District Attorney James Gaither, Jr., the death of a key witness for the state was listed as a factor in Mayfield’s sentence.

That witness was a confidential informant whose information led to the search warrant on Mayfield’s home. However, he died in a motorcycle accident in 2012 following a high-speed police chase.

Per Pockrass, police found methamphetamine and scales in a compartment on the informant’s motorcycle. A passenger on the cycle was also killed in the crash.

Audi bids farewell to Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich upon retirement

Audi Sport
Leave a comment

Audi bid farewell to its iconic head of motorsport, Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich, at its end-of-season ‘Race Night’ event in Germany on Friday upon his retirement.

Ullrich took over the reins as Audi’s head of motorsport in 1993 and stayed in the role for 23 years, overseeing its arrival in the prototype class of sports car racing and domination of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Ullrich stepped down from the position at the end of 2016, handing the reins over to ex-Audi DTM chief Dieter Gass, and attended his final racing event with the German marque at its first works Formula E outing in Hong Kong earlier this month.

Ullrich was honored at the Race Night event on Friday and thanked for his efforts in developing Audi into a force within global motorsport.

“In 566 factory-backed commitments during this period he celebrated 209 victories, 13 of them in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, eleven in the 12-hour race at Sebring and nine in the ‘Petit Le Mans’ at Road Atlanta,” a piece on Ullrich’s tenure for Audi’s website reads.

“31 driver titles in super touring car racing, in the DTM and in the sports prototype category are credited to him. 57 campaigners were Audi factory drivers during Wolfgang Ullrich’s era and he was responsible for 18 new developments of racing cars – an impressive tally.”