Carl Edwards

Edwards: NASCAR should change product, not formats

Leave a comment

Carl Edwards isn’t in charge of NASCAR, nor will be anytime soon. Still, doesn’t mean the Roush Fenway Racing driver can’t offer opinions on potential technical or format changes for the Sprint Cup Series.

“I’d like much softer tires and less downforce, but the process for new changes was really impressive, the way it was tested,” he said during his first media availability of 2014 during the NASCAR Preseason Thunder test at Daytona. “Of the three things tested, they chose the best one in my opinion.”

Edwards is referring to the raised rear spoiler for 2014, which should actually increase downforce. He joked, “I’d be all for chopping the spoilers off and wetting down the track.”

But, in all seriousness, Edwards praised the unified and increased competition committee involving Brian France, Mike Helton, John Darby, Gene Stefanyshyn and now, Darby’s replacement as managing director of the Sprint Cup Series, Richard Buck. The committee is seeking to improve NASCAR’s racing product, particularly on the 1.5-mile ovals where passing wasn’t particularly easy during the first season with the new Generation-6 car.

“I’m not a very patient person, so it’s very difficult for me to go down this road,” Edwards said. “The coolest part of the test (last year) was, Brian France, Mike Helton, Darby, Stefanyshyn, all saying ‘We can make things better. We’ll work with Goodyear, they’re committed.’ Say what you like about NASCAR or directions, but they’re very committed to changing whatever it takes to be the best we can be. It makes me excited.”

When it came to format changes rather than competition ones, Edwards guarded against change simply for the sake of change.

“It would be like the police changing the speed limit every day when you go down the same road. At some point you’d be like, ‘C’mon, man,’” Edwards admitted.

“There’s something to be said about the history of the sport, not moving things too far away, and I also think we have to be careful … we don’t want take away the credibility of a format by changing it all the time. We need the same measure year-to-year. You don’t want to change all the time just to change.”

Because Edwards’ team has traditionally run consistently stronger over a longer stretch of races rather than the 10 Chase races, he wouldn’t mind seeing the Chase add more races, but didn’t estimate it would happen.

After losing the 2011 Cup title on a tiebreaker, Edwards missed the Chase in 2012 and finished 13th and last in this year’s Chase. Edwards won twice, though, marking only his second season with more than one win in the last five years.

Wolff: Wehrlein, Ocon deserve Formula 1 roles

SPIELBERG, AUSTRIA - JUNE 23:  Pascal Wehrlein of Germany and Mercedes GP drives during Formula One testing at the Red Bull Ring on June 23, 2015 in Spielberg, Austria.  (Photo by Andrew Hone/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mercedes AMG Petronas team boss Toto Wolff believes that junior talents Pascal Wehrlein and Esteban Ocon have both earned their roles in Formula 1 for the 2016 season “on merit”.

Wehrlein will make his grand prix debut in 2016 with Manor Racing after winning the DTM title for Mercedes last year, becoming the youngest champion in the history of the series.

Ocon has been loaned to Renault Sport F1 Racing for its comeback season, and will work as the team’s reserve driver following his GP3 title success last year.

Wolff feels that both drivers deserve their chance in F1 this year, and also said that Mercedes will look to expand its junior program across the course of the season.

“We’re delighted that Pascal and Esteban will tackle a fresh set of challenges in 2016,” Wolff said. “Our aim is to build their experience in the best possible environment and, following positive discussions with our counterparts at Manor and Renault, it became clear that their respective Formula 1 programmes presented ideal opportunities to achieve that.

“It is very pleasing to see young drivers earning their spot in Formula 1 on merit and to see that talent is being rewarded by the system. Pascal and Esteban have proven themselves to be amongst the top young drivers out there – and both come into 2016 as champions of their respective series.

“But they still have plenty to learn and they will be staying humble, with their feet on the ground. This is an important year for them and we will be following their progress with great interest, while also looking to expand our junior program.

“Mercedes-Benz has a strong tradition of developing young racing talent and our eyes are very much open to other promising prospects for the future.”

Social roundup: When Mika Hakkinen met CJ Wilson, and other cool shots

SHANGHAI, CHINA - APRIL 15:  Former F1 World Champion Mika Hakkinen is seen during practice for the Chinese Formula One Grand Prix at the Shanghai International Circuit on April 15, 2011 in Shanghai, China.  (Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

What happens when you put a McLaren P1 owned by baseball star and CJ Wilson Racing team principal, and occasional driver, CJ Wilson, with two-time F1 World Champion Mika Hakkinen, and you turn them loose at The Thermal Club for a track day?

Pure awesomeness.

Of course there’s other cars besides the McLaren and hockey legend, Teemu Selanne, was also on site.

This really isn’t a post so much that needs words, but one that does need proper photos and noise.

The CJWR pairing of Marc Miller and Daniel Burkett, who drive the No. 33 One Capital/Motor Oil Matters Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport dubbed “Darth Cayman” in the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge, have been coaching and driving at an event this weekend out at The Thermal Club, a luxury race track in California.

See a mix of photos and videos below:

Ecclestone gives Monza until end of February to resolve F1 future

MONZA, ITALY - SEPTEMBER 06:  Lewis Hamilton of Great Britain and Mercedes GP celebrates on the podium next to Sebastian Vettel of Germany and Ferrari after winning the Formula One Grand Prix of Italy at Autodromo di Monza on September 6, 2015 in Monza, Italy.  (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Formula 1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone has given officials at the Autodromo Nazionale Monza until the end of February to resolve the future of the Italian Grand Prix.

Monza has hosted the Italian Grand Prix for all but one year since 1950 when the F1 world championship was formed, establishing itself as one of the series’ most historic and legendary venues.

However, its future has come under increasing scrutiny in recent months following a cut in the amount of tax relief that the race receives by the Italian government.

Ecclestone said back in November that he had “no doubts” the race would remain on the calendar and extend its contract beyond the end of 2016 when it expires.

However, the 85-year-old has now cast fresh doubt on the race in an interview with Reuters, giving the circuit until the end of February to resolve its future.

“It’s Italian. A lot of conversations at the moment and not much action,” Ecclestone said.

“They said to me a few months ago: ‘Everything is sorted out, we know exactly where we are and it’s all agreed and no dramas.’

“And now I heard yesterday it’s become very political… They’ll get on with it. Or not. I don’t know what’s going to happen. Nothing we can do about it.

“The only people that can sort this out are the people that are currently involved in Italy. They can take as long as they like, provided it’s by the end of this month.”

The 2016 Italian Grand Prix is set to take place at Monza on September 4.

Here’s what a sub-4 second, 300-mph NHRA driver’s eye view looks like

Leave a comment

This was published earlier this week from NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series testing at Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park in Chandler, Ariz., but the timing of it being posted today is to serve as a teaser to the 2016 NHRA season at Pomona Raceway in California.

Ride on-board with Shawn Langdon of Don Schumacher Racing for a test run. This is simply nuts, as thousands of horsepower are put to the ground for a 3.77-sec, 316 mph pass in testing.