“Rush” shut out of Golden Globes; Lauda, Hemsworth still present (VIDEO)

2 Comments

Although Ron Howard’s “Rush” was nominated for a pair of Golden Globe Awards, the film was unable to take home a victory in Sunday night’s ceremony.

Universal Studios’ “Rush” was nominated for Best Picture – Drama, but lost out to “12 Years a Slave.” Meanwhile Daniel Brühl, who played Niki Lauda in the film, was nominated for Best Supporting Actor – drama but lost out to Jared Leto of “Dallas Buyers Club.”

Not all was lost for race fans though because Lauda, as expected, came out to introduce the film’s nomination within the last half hour of the three-hour show. Lauda and Chris Hemsworth, who played Lauda’s rival and 1976 World Champion James Hunt, did the job of providing a brief synopsis of the film that chronicles their bout for the title.

With the Academy Awards to come, where “Rush” could score is in the technical awards, which aren’t presented at the Golden Globes. Hans Zimmer’s soundtrack or some of the cinematic elements of the movie could get nominated, and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see Brühl nominated once more or for the film itself to get a Best Picture nomination there.

There was one other possible racing element that could have popped up during the Globes, as Leonardo DiCaprio received Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy for his performance in “The Wolf of Wall Street.” But DiCaprio, unsurprisingly, did not make mention of his new role as a team owner in the new FIA Formula E Championship, the new all-electric racing series.

Tina Fey and Amy Poehler – the latter of whom took home a Best Actress in a television series, comedy or musical for “Parks and Recreation” – hosted the show and had several excellent one-liners. More here from NBC News’ “Today” if you’re interested, or missed the barrage of snark on Twitter last night (yes, I’m guilty of offering up some of it).

Hamilton: Abu Dhabi ‘the last race with good-looking cars’ in F1

Getty Images
1 Comment

Lewis Hamilton believes that this weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix will be remembered as the last race with good-looking Formula 1 cars ahead of the introduction of the ‘Halo’ cockpit protection for next year.

Officials from the FIA and F1 Strategy Group confirmed earlier this year that the Halo would be fitted to all cars from the 2018 season in a bid to improve safety standards, with the deaths of Justin Wilson and Jules Bianchi putting head protection high on the agenda for the series’ chiefs.

Hamilton has long made his opposition to the Halo clear, believing it will ruin the look of F1 cars, and echoed his thoughts ahead of the final Halo-less race in Abu Dhabi this weekend.

“It’s the last year of looking good I think in the cars. It’s the last race where the cars will look good,” Hamilton said.

“I think next year, it’s all downhill from there in terms of how they look.

“But safety will go up at least, and maybe it could be successful in some way.”

Hamilton’s F1 title rival Sebastian Vettel was less bothered about the change, believing the field will adjust and move on.

“The cars will look different next year. Everything I’ve seen so far looks different, but on the other hand it is something we all get used to,” Vettel said.

“But no doubt the cars look better now, but we’ll get used to it, and we’ll work on the aesthetics so it can be better. It is less of a big deal.”

Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo shared Vettel’s view, saying: “I don’t think it’s gonna be as dramatic as most people make it out to be.”