Count Danica Patrick out of Indy 500 — but not Kurt Busch, AJ Allmendinger

6 Comments

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Even though new Stewart Haas Racing teammate Kurt Busch hopes to realize his lifelong dream to race in the Indianapolis 500 this May – and then double up by competing later the same day in NASCAR’s longest race, the Coca-Cola 600 in Charlotte — count Danica Patrick out of doing the same.

“I love the Indy 500, it’s an amazing event and everybody should go see it at some time,” Patrick said during Monday’s opening of the 32nd NASCAR Media Tour. “But as far as me as a driver, I’m not seeking it out anymore.”

Patrick competed in the 500 seven times in her previous IndyCar career, with a career-best finish of third in 2009. Her last 500 was 2011, when she finished 10th.

She considered attempting to do the fabled “double” last year, but efforts fell short due to logistics, not to mention she was trying to keep her focus solely on her first full season on the Sprint Cup circuit.

“I’m not saying I wouldn’t take the opportunity if I felt like I was in a position to win a race, but after last year when it didn’t work out, I’m no longer trying to make that happen,” she said.

Busch was looking like a kid in a candy store, talking about racing in this year’s 500, during Monday’s NASCAR session.

“It’s grabbing traction again,” Busch said. “It’s through two teams (one being Andretti Autosport and a second unnamed team), through a couple different sponsors, and the intrigue is there for me for something to tackle in life. On the business side, it needs to make sense there, but I’m starting to push the business sense aside and just go and do it and have the fun and to say I ran Indianapolis. It’s grabbing traction and I have the blessing of Gene Haas and Tony Stewart to go and do it.”

Busch, who has also dabbled in drag racing in recent years during time away from Sprint Cup, is feeling optimistic that he’ll be part of this year’s 500 field.

“It’s about 70-30 right now, 70 percent that we’re going to do it” Busch said. “We just have to balance all the things that have to come with it, schedule, sponsorship, the teams. My commitment is there, we don’t have to second-guess that. But I’m going to have to train harder if I’m going to be ready for 1,100 miles in one day.”

Busch may not be the only NASCAR driver at Indianapolis. AJ Allmendinger, back on the Sprint Cup circuit on a full-time basis in 2014 with his new team, JTG Daugherty Racing, is also looking at possibly doing the Memorial Day double.

“There’s always a chance, but it would have to be the right situation,” said Allmendinger, who started fifth and finished seventh racing for Roger Penske in last year’s Indy 500, but did not compete in the 600 later that day. “Obviously, doing it with Roger would be the right situation.

“I’m not a guy that wants to do it just to do it, to say I’ve tried both. I think it’s based first on how this season is going – obviously this is my biggest priority. Tad’s (team owner Tad Geschickter) all for it. When Roger brought the idea up to him initially when we did this deal, Tad was all for it. He said we’d sell a lot of charcoal products on that weekend (one of Allmendinger’s chief sponsors with JTG Daugherty is Kingsford Charcoal).

“I would love to do it. I don’t know with the third car, with Juan (Pablo Montoya) there now, is a possibility. But if it’s the right situation, I’d definitely be interested.”

NHRA: Brittany Force cleared to race this weekend in Phoenix after bad wreck 2 weeks ago

Photo: John Force Racing
Leave a comment

Drag racing is a Force family tradition. So, too, is not keeping a Force family member down.

Just 12 days after the most serious wreck of her six-year drag racing career, Brittany Force and John Force Racing announced late Thursday afternoon that the defending 2017 NHRA Top Fuel champion has been medically cleared and will indeed race in this weekend’s NHRA Arizona Nationals at Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park in suburban Phoenix, Arizona.

“I flew into Phoenix early this (Thursday) morning and headed straight out to the race track to meet up with my team,” Force said. “I suited up and got belted back into my car that I ran all last season.

“It honestly felt good to be strapped back in and I was surprised how comfortable I was. I’m looking forward to getting back in my car tomorrow (Friday’s first two rounds of qualifying) and getting back in the swing of things with my guys.”

The 31-year-old Force, one of four daughters of 16-time NHRA Funny Car champ John Force, suffered a concussion and bruising after the hard crash she was involved in on February 11 in the first round of eliminations of the season-opening NHRA Lucas Oil Winternationals in Pomona, California.

Shortly after leaving the starting line in a race vs. Terry Haddock, Force’s dragster crossed from the right to left lanes, impacted the retaining wall with a very hard lateral crash, bounced off, spun, went on its side and briefly caught fire after crossing the finish line wheels-up.

While she is still recovering from the bruising, Force feels strong enough to get back behind the wheel. Getting back in the race car could be the best medicine of all, since she has three runner-up finishes in Phoenix, including back-to-back second-place showings in both the 2016 and 2017 national events.

The three-day event kicks off Friday with qualifying rounds at 4 and 6:30 p.m. ET, the same times as Saturday’s qualifying. Final eliminations begin at 1 p.m. ET Sunday.