Patrick Pilet, Richard Lietz,  Nick Tandy

Porsche, CORE leave no doubt of their ability in Daytona

Leave a comment

Action Express Racing took home the glory of the overall Rolex 24 at Daytona win, and Level 5 Motorsports was the leading headline at the end of Sunday after winning the GT Daytona class following an IMSA review.

CORE autosport and Porsche were left in the middle as the other two class winners (PC, GT Le Mans) after nearly flawless runs that should not go unrecognized.

Jon Bennett’s team, run by Morgan Brady, has expanded from running in IMSA Prototype Lites just a few years ago to advancing into the American Le Mans Series’ PC class, where it won the last three team championships.

In 2013, CORE was announced as an official partner to Porsche’s factory; the team ran an ALMS GT class-911 GT3 RSR for the last eight races in the 2013 season, and would additionally serve as the U.S. arm of support for Porsche’s factory-run program for its pair of new 911 RSRs in 2014.

The new 911 had one prior 24-hour race under its belt, last year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans, where the team finished 1-2 in the GTE Pro class. Meanwhile the tried-and-tested PC car was competing in its first ever 24-hour race; the longest PC race before was 12 hours.

The No. 911 911 ran consistently in GTLM throughout the night, leading most of the race and expanding its gap when some of its other challengers ran into issues. Nick Tandy, Richard Lietz and Patrick Pilet were the winning co-drivers.

“We came into this race treating it as an old-fashioned endurance race,” said Tandy. “So many of the races we do are really now sprint races and you have to go flat out for the duration of the race to have a chance but we said this weekend we have to take care of the equipment, the tires, the engine and not make any mistakes. There were times when we knew we could just cruise around and pick off laps but there were also times we had to push really at maximum. It shows we had the best team overall for the full 24 hours.”

Tandy is now on a three-race winning streak in North America, in three different Porsches, in three different classes.

The Brit won the GTC class at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca last May with MOMO NGT Motorsport, and also the ALMS GT class in the series finale at Petit Le Mans with the privateer Team Falken Tire squad in a 2010-spec 911 GT3 RSR.

Meanwhile the polesitting CORE PC car was spun on the opening lap of the 24-hour race, with team principal Jon Bennett driving. But pit strategy executed by new engineer Tom Brown, who rejoined the team after an IndyCar stint, saw Bennett’s full-season co-driver Colin Braun back in the lead after five hours.

Braun, Bennett and co-drivers Mark Wilkins and James Gue were consistent from there, before Braun held off 8Star Motorsports’ (and former CORE driver) Tom Kimber-Smith in the waning stages.

Braun, who’s only 25, was already competing in his 10th Rolex 24 and now has his first class victory.

“It’s great to win it obviously that’s what we’ve all tried to accomplish,” said one of North America’s top young sports car drivers. “This is my 10th time competing here, so to win it is really special. I’ve tried, and I know how hard it is to win, and how many crazy things can happen and you can get stripped of it. I’m really proud of these guys; they did an awesome job.”

Button confused by Red Bull’s decision to drop Kvyat

SOCHI, RUSSIA - APRIL 30: Jenson Button of Great Britain and McLaren Honda in the garage during final practice ahead of the Formula One Grand Prix of Russia at Sochi Autodrom on April 30, 2016 in Sochi, Russia.  (Photo by Dan Istitene/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

2009 Formula 1 world champion Jenson Button questioned Red Bull’s decision to drop Daniil Kvyat for Max Verstappen as of the Spanish Grand Prix, saying the team has “short memories”.

Red Bull announced on Thursday that Kvyat would be returning to Toro Rosso, its B-team, as of the next race in Barcelona, with Verstappen moving in the opposite direction.

The decision sparked mixed reactions on social media, with many pointing out that Kvyat had been on the podium just three weeks ago in China.

Button made the exact same point in a couple of tweets sent from his Twitter account on Thursday.

IMS confirms 100th Indy 500 reserved seats are sold out

Indianapolis 500
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Indianapolis Motor Speedway officials have confirmed Friday that the 100th Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil will have a sellout crowd, with confirmation all reserved seats have been sold.

“Every Indianapolis 500 is special, but the buzz surrounding the 100th Running has been building for nearly a year, ever since the checkered flag fell on the 99th,” IMS President J. Douglas Boles said in a release. “Our fans are the best in sports and their incredible support of this year’s race will make it a truly historic day for ‘The Greatest Spectacle in Racing.’”

Further information is linked here, via the IMS website.

Verstappen’s engineer Pujolar leaves Toro Rosso

SAO PAULO, BRAZIL - NOVEMBER 13:  Xevi Pujolar of Scuderia Toro Rosso and Spain during practice for the Formula One Grand Prix of Brazil at Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace on November 13, 2015 in Sao Paulo, Brazil.  (Photo by Peter Fox/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
1 Comment

Max Verstappen’s Toro Rosso race engineer Xevi Pujolar has left the team following the Dutchman’s move up to Red Bull Racing for the Spanish Grand Prix.

Red Bull announced on Thursday that Verstappen had been promoted to its senior Formula 1 team with immediate effect in place of Daniil Kvyat, who moves in the opposite direction.

Kvyat returns to Toro Rosso, moving in the opposite direction to Verstappen in a bid to ease some of the pressure he was facing following a disastrous outing at Russian Grand Prix.

In a tweet sent from his Twitter account on Thursday, ex-Williams and HRT engineer Pujolar confirmed that he would be leaving Toro Rosso after two and a half years.

Toro Rosso and Red Bull are yet to confirm which engineers will work with Kvyat and Verstappen from the Spanish Grand Prix next weekend.

Davidson would not turn down Jaguar Formula E drive

Anthony Davidson (GBR) 
Toyota Hybrid Racing
World Endurance Championship. 6 Hours of Bahrain. 18th-21st  November 2015. Bahrain International Circuit, Bahrain.
Leave a comment

SPA – Anthony Davidson is open to a move into Formula E with Jaguar upon its entry to the championship later this year, but is yet to receive a serious offer from the British manufacturer.

Jaguar confirmed at the end of last year that it would be entering Formula E from the 2016-2017 season, and is expected to be competitive from the very beginning thanks to its relationship with championship battery supplier Williams.

As a result, the Jaguar seats are among the most coveted for the new season, leading to speculation that 2014 FIA World Endurance Championship winner and Toyota racer Davidson could become the latest driver to combine endurance racing duties with Formula E.

Davidson confirmed to NBC Sports that he’d be interested in doing so, but said he is yet to receive a serious approach.

“If I was approached seriously and wasn’t messed about by having to do a driver shoot-out or anything ridiculous like that, then maybe I would,” Davidson said.

“So far I haven’t had a serious approach. I would be up for it. I’m always up for racing in different cars, especially to drive a single-seater again would be nice, but it’s not high on my priority list at the moment.”

When asked by NBC Sports if a move to Jaguar would be of interest, Davidson confirmed that preliminary talks had been held but nothing had been firmed up.

“I got in touch, we were in touch. We had a chat and that’s about all that came from it,” Davidson said.

“I wouldn’t turn down an offer, let’s put it that way. But I’m not going to break a leg falling over myself to get into one.

“I’m 37 years old now. If I can’t sell myself now then there’s no point.

“If people don’t know what I’m capable of then that’s their loss.”