Ecclestone: New F1 rules are “nonsense”

6 Comments

Even as his own future in the sport is somewhat uncertain with a pending trial, Bernie Ecclestone still isn’t holding back when it comes to opinions of the new age of Formula One.

Ecclestone spoke to Reuters Friday after Red Bull confirmed it was leaving the first test of the year early due to various teething issues.

He first called the new technical regulations “complete, utter nonsense,” and then added his official statement of disappointment.

“I am disappointed. I hate saying ‘I told you so’, but I’m disappointed because I did say I told you so and this is what’s happened,” he said, via Alan Baldwin of Reuters F1.

He added, “We had an engine that was perfect, everybody liked the sound, it was reliable, didn’t cause anybody trouble and was much, much more cheap than what they currently have to use.”

He also called last year’s championship “very good,” even though Sebastian Vettel ran away with the title with nine consecutive victories to end the season.

We now have a situation in F1 where there’s something of a disconnect between the teams, the powers-that-be, and the fans.

The PTB all agreed upon the new regulations, led by the shift to 1.6L V6 turbocharged power units. Additionally, the controversial double points finale at Abu Dhabi was suggested, then ratified.

All of this seems to fly in the face of the man who’s led F1 for decades, Ecclestone, but is quickly feeling a loss of his nearly eternal power grip. His opinions presented Friday seem exactly the opposite of what the new F1 is trying to produce.

And the fans, who didn’t ask for some of these new regulations, are completely shut out of the decision-making process. I doubt many considered the 2013 championship “very good,” as Ecclestone did. All they can do is accept the strange-looking 2014 cars, the new regulations and continue to voice their opinions in the hopes that they’ll eventually be heard.

MRTI: Telitz gets creative to help racing career

Photo: Indianapolis Motor Speedway, LLC Photography
Leave a comment

To say that Belardi Auto Racing’s Aaron Telitz has endured a difficult start to the 2018 Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires season would be an understatement. The Wisconsin native only completed four corners through the first three races – Races 1 and 2 at St. Petersburg, and Race 1 at Barber Motorsports Park – with St. Pete being especially problematic.

He took the pole for Race 1, but a crash during qualifying for Race 2 prevented him from actually starting. What’s more, the damage was so severe that the Belardi team needed a brand new chassis, with Telitz’s Dallara IL-15 damaged beyond repair.

They also had to borrow a car from Carlin for Race 2, but Telitz’s race ended after he got tangled up with Victor Franzoni in Turn 2 on Lap 1.

With the damage bill well into the six figures as a result, Telitz has taken to some unique, or rather, creative ways to raise money in the aftermath to help cover the costs. “Creative,” in this case, meaning Telitz is using his art skills.

An artist in his spare time, Telitz has begun selling his own original paintings to help raise money.

 “I’ve been to a lot of art shows and I see stuff and I go, ‘Holy cow, someone’s going to pay a thousand dollars for that thing?’” Telitz quipped in a story posted on the Milwaukee Journal.

In discussing his artistic abilities, Telitz added, “I’m working at getting better. I’d like to be able to paint some animals, those types of things. I got a request from Alexander Rossi to see if I could paint his dog. Unfortunately I can’t do that yet.”

Further, in a partnership with The Styled Garage, Telitz is selling his own merchandise, and accepting donations, to help his cause.

Telitz finished fourth in Race 2 at Barber on Sunday, and sits seventh in the Indy Lights championship, 59 points behind leader Pato O’Ward.

Follow@KyleMLavigne