Ecclestone: New F1 rules are “nonsense”

6 Comments

Even as his own future in the sport is somewhat uncertain with a pending trial, Bernie Ecclestone still isn’t holding back when it comes to opinions of the new age of Formula One.

Ecclestone spoke to Reuters Friday after Red Bull confirmed it was leaving the first test of the year early due to various teething issues.

He first called the new technical regulations “complete, utter nonsense,” and then added his official statement of disappointment.

“I am disappointed. I hate saying ‘I told you so’, but I’m disappointed because I did say I told you so and this is what’s happened,” he said, via Alan Baldwin of Reuters F1.

He added, “We had an engine that was perfect, everybody liked the sound, it was reliable, didn’t cause anybody trouble and was much, much more cheap than what they currently have to use.”

He also called last year’s championship “very good,” even though Sebastian Vettel ran away with the title with nine consecutive victories to end the season.

We now have a situation in F1 where there’s something of a disconnect between the teams, the powers-that-be, and the fans.

The PTB all agreed upon the new regulations, led by the shift to 1.6L V6 turbocharged power units. Additionally, the controversial double points finale at Abu Dhabi was suggested, then ratified.

All of this seems to fly in the face of the man who’s led F1 for decades, Ecclestone, but is quickly feeling a loss of his nearly eternal power grip. His opinions presented Friday seem exactly the opposite of what the new F1 is trying to produce.

And the fans, who didn’t ask for some of these new regulations, are completely shut out of the decision-making process. I doubt many considered the 2013 championship “very good,” as Ecclestone did. All they can do is accept the strange-looking 2014 cars, the new regulations and continue to voice their opinions in the hopes that they’ll eventually be heard.

Toyota victorious in Bahrain on Porsche’s LMP1 swansong

Toyota Motorsport GmbH
Leave a comment

SAKHIR, Bahrain – Toyota denied Porsche a swansong victory in its final LMP1 appearance in the FIA World Endurance Championship by taking a commanding win in the 6 Hours of Bahrain on Saturday.

Porsche started from pole in the last competitive outing for the three-time Le Mans-winning 919 Hybrid car, only to lose out to Toyota’s Sebastien Buemi within the first half an hour of the race.

Porsche lost one of its cars from contention for victory after an errant bollard got stuck underneath Timo Bernhard’s No. 2 entry, leaving Nick Tandy to lead its charge in the No. 1 car.

Tandy moved into the lead just past half distance after a bold strategy call from Porsche to triple-stint the Briton after a fuel-only stop, vaulting him ahead of Anthony Davidson in the No. 8 Toyota.

Tandy’s win hopes were soon dashed when he tangled with a GTE-Am backmarker at Turn 1, sustaining damage that forced Porsche into an unplanned pit stop that put the car a lap down.

With the No. 7 Toyota losing two laps following a clash with a GTE-Pro car earlier on, Davidson, Buemi and Kazuki Nakajima went unchallenged en route to the car’s fifth victory of the season.

Porsche rounded out the podium with its cars, with the No. 2 leading home the No. 1, leaving Toyota’s No. 7 car to settle for P4 at the checkered flag.

Vaillante Rebellion clinched the title in LMP2 after a stunning fightback led by Bruno Senna, with the Brazilian securing his maiden motorsport championship win in the process.

GTE-Pro saw AF Corse complete a hat-trick of titles in 2017, with James Calado and Alessandro Pier Guidi wining the class’ first world championship recognized by the FIA, while Paul Dalla Lana, Pedro Lamy and Mathias Lauda sewed up the GTE-Am title.