Red Bull and its Renault power unit have had issues throughout the first week of testing (Wednesday, Thursday) for the new Formula One season.
Daniel Ricciardo said this was likely something that would needed to be fixed at the factory. The team added end of day Thursday, “We’re trying to get the car ready for tomorrow. If things don’t go to plan then, we have 2 weeks until the next test so time’s on our side.”
The car was ready for Friday, but, the niggling issues continued. After seven laps Friday, and 21 total over four days, the team has packed up early and left Jerez, and are en route back to the factory at Milton Keynes.
“It’s been a very difficult test. We have had numerous Renault issues as well as chassis cooling issues, which have affected our progress,” said team principal Christian Horner.
“What we have managed to learn shows that the problems should be solvable for the next test in Bahrain. There will now be a lot of focus on the dyno over the next few weeks.”
Here’s the official tweet from the team confirming its early departure:
Interestingly, Lotus opted to put a snarky dig in at its fellow Renault-powered squad earlier this week, even though it didn’t head to Jerez on its own. When replying to a tweet from former F1 driver Taki Inoue, this was Lotus’ response:
Juncos Racing continued to bolster its entries in the Pro Mazda Championship Presented by Cooper Tires by signing Carlos Cunha to pilot a third Juncos Pro Mazda entry for 2018. Cunha, who finished third in the 2017 Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship Powered by Mazda season on the back of seven podium finishes, joins Rinus VeeKay and Robert Megennis in Juncos’ Pro Mazda lineup for 2018.
Cunha previously tested with the team at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in October and joined Juncos for the Chris Griffis Memorial test at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in November, testing cars for both the Pro Mazda and Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires teams.
“It’s great to become a part of Juncos Racing,” said the 18-year-old Cunha. “I am really excited to start the 2018 season with Juncos Racing. This fall we did some testing together and from there I was able to see how focused everyone on the team is and I even felt like I became a part of their family in no time. I am confident we will get great results together next year and I look forward to learning and growing more with the team. It will be a huge pleasure and also a great responsibility to carry the number one on my car, thanks to (2017 Pro Mazda champion Victor Franzoni) and I hope to deliver it back to the team at the end of the year!”
Team owner Ricardo Juncos added, “We are excited to add Carlos to our Pro Mazda lineup. From the moment we started testing with him in early October, we knew he would be a great fit for our team. Carlos has been very quick in testing and even had an impressive showing in the Indy Lights car at the Chris Griffis test back in October. He had a great run this past season in the Pro Mazda series and we are confident he will carry that momentum into the 2018 season.”