Mixed fortunes for TSM youngsters Kwasniewski, Burton

Leave a comment

Turner Scott Motorsports’ 2014 efforts have changed in the last few days. One of its drivers, who was poised for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series title, is now out of a full-time ride, while another driver will have a chance at a full-time season in the NASCAR Nationwide Series ranks.

The bad news first: Jeb Burton’s No. 4 Truck team was shuttered over the weekend, when sponsor Arrowhead electronic cigarettes defaulted on payments. Burton won his first race in 2013 and finished fifth in points; he was a likely title contender in 2014.

“Racing is kind of my whole life, and to have it kind of taken from me because of something I don’t have any control over is devastating to my family and I,” said the son of former Daytona 500 champion Ward Burton, via NASCAR.com.

TSM’s lone full-time NCWTS driver will be Ben Kennedy, with a part-time effort featuring Brandon Jones and other drivers to be named later.

On the Nationwide side, TSM confirmed Dylan Kwasniewski, 18, will compete in a full season with sponsor Rockstar Energy Drink in the No. 31 Chevrolet Camaro. Kwasniewski is the 2013 NASCAR K&N Pro Series East champion.

“The test session earlier this month at Daytona taught us a lot and it’s good to enter Daytona with a level of confidence, not only for myself, but for Pat (Tryson) and all the guys,” he said in a release. The aforementioned Pat is Pat Tryson, who will be his crew chief this year.

Kyle Larson is also set for a full year in Nationwide for TSM, to go along with his Sprint Cup Series commitments with Chip Ganassi Racing.

Racing world reacts to Danica Patrick’s Daytona, Indy double news

Leave a comment

Here’s a sampling of quotes and social media reaction to Danica Patrick’s news announced earlier Friday that this would be her last full-time season as a driver, and that she’ll race in the Daytona 500 and Indianapolis 500 only in 2018.

This ends a full-time stretch in the top flights of NASCAR and IndyCar. She was in NASCAR from 2012 through 2017, and IndyCar from 2005 through 2011.

Her’s her own post on Twitter and Instagram.

Well…. 2018 Daytona 500 and Indy 500 here I come. 🙌🏼

A post shared by Danica Patrick (@danicapatrick) on

IMS President J. Douglas Boles

“We’re glad Danica plans to return to the Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil next May,” IMS President J. Douglas Boles said. “Her final career start will make what’s already shaping up to be a terrific Month of May even more interesting for our fans.

“It’s also fitting that Danica is wrapping up her career at the place and in the race where she became a household name and captured the world’s attention in 2005 – the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Indianapolis 500. We’re looking forward to seeing her back in an Indy car next May alongside all of the tremendous drivers of the Verizon IndyCar Series.”

NASCAR

INDYCAR