IndyCar notes: Montoya’s sponsors; BHA, second Coyne still firmly TBD

Leave a comment

Several IndyCar Series news and notes to hit that have taken place in the last 24-48 hours. Here’s a quick recap:

  • Eleven of 18 races have been revealed for Juan Pablo Montoya’s primary sponsorship on his No. 2 Team Penske Chevrolet. The eight weekends and nine races announced for Verizon Wireless, confirmed via the @PaddockInsider social media account are: St. Petersburg, Long Beach, both Indianapolis races, the Detroit doubleheader, Texas, Sonoma and Fontana. Hawk Performance was also announced Tuesday as primary sponsor for JPM at the Toronto doubleheader and Mid-Ohio.
  • Bryan Herta Autosport tested Englishman Jack Hawksworth Monday, and will again on Wednesday at Sebring. Hawksworth has had two prior tests in Honda-powered cars at Sebring, for Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing and Dale Coyne Racing. It’s just a test for now. The team is yet to confirm its commercial partners for 2014 and asked if he was concerned to not be testing, Italian Luca Filippi responded on Twitter, “No! Never! Keep the faith!”
  • Dale Coyne Racing is testing with Justin Wilson this week – his first time back in an IndyCar since his Fontana accident – and made several formal team announcements. Michael Cannon, who’s been working with the team this offseason, is officially confirmed as Wilson’s engineer. Darren Crouser has also been added as Team Manager, which could see the eponymous team owner’s role not as hands-on. The team also said of its second car, “Efforts continue for the second car and the #18 will be joining the fray at its test in early March.”
  • Mike Conway is not among those in Florida this week; the Englishman was said to be “in Italy testing a P1 sports car car.” For those who can read between the lines, that means Conway would be doing some running in Toyota’s new TS040 Hybrid; he is the team’s test and reserve driver. Conway also has a full-season FIA World Endurance Championship LMP2 deal confirmed with Millennium Racing, apart from his IndyCar commitments.
  • IndyCar media day is being held today in Orlando. We’re not expecting a ton of news from that, but something big-ish could emerge. For the most part, it’s been interesting to watch Twitter for those drivers arriving either late last night or early this morning for the one-day event.

Audi bids farewell to Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich upon retirement

Audi Sport
Leave a comment

Audi bid farewell to its iconic head of motorsport, Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich, at its end-of-season ‘Race Night’ event in Germany on Friday upon his retirement.

Ullrich took over the reins as Audi’s head of motorsport in 1993 and stayed in the role for 23 years, overseeing its arrival in the prototype class of sports car racing and domination of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Ullrich stepped down from the position at the end of 2016, handing the reins over to ex-Audi DTM chief Dieter Gass, and attended his final racing event with the German marque at its first works Formula E outing in Hong Kong earlier this month.

Ullrich was honored at the Race Night event on Friday and thanked for his efforts in developing Audi into a force within global motorsport.

“In 566 factory-backed commitments during this period he celebrated 209 victories, 13 of them in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, eleven in the 12-hour race at Sebring and nine in the ‘Petit Le Mans’ at Road Atlanta,” a piece on Ullrich’s tenure for Audi’s website reads.

“31 driver titles in super touring car racing, in the DTM and in the sports prototype category are credited to him. 57 campaigners were Audi factory drivers during Wolfgang Ullrich’s era and he was responsible for 18 new developments of racing cars – an impressive tally.”