Much different finish than last year: Regan Smith holds off Brad Keselowski to win Nationwide Series race at Daytona

3 Comments

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – A year ago, Regan Smith and Brad Keselowski were running 1-2, heading to the checkered flag in the season-opening Nationwide Series race.

With the finish line only a few hundred feet away, Keselowski accidentally turned Smith’s car into the outside retaining wall, triggering a massive wreck that injured more than two dozen fans when debris went through and above the catchfence.

Fast forward a year to Saturday and it again came down to Smith and Keselowski closing in on the checkered flag. This time, the duo raced clean and Smith emerged to win the DRIVE4COPD 300.

“After last season with what happened at the finish line, I felt terrible,” Smith said. “I wanted to see the checkered flag in the right way. It’s going to be a good year.”

Smith beat Keselowski by .013 (second-closest NNS finish in Daytona history), followed by Trevor Bayne in third, Kyle Busch fourth and Elliott Sadler rounded out the top-five.

“We were real close, just came up a bit short,” Keselowski said. “We fought real hard and had a great car. That last restart, we just didn’t have enough.”

Keselowski said he didn’t have a flashback to the way last year’s race wound up.

“No, not really, maybe it should have. I’m not that smart, I have a terrible memory,” Keselowski said. “I’m glad there wasn’t an aftermath again.”

By finishing fourth, Busch was prevented from his overall weekend goal of a sweep. He won Friday night’s Camping World Truck Series event and hopes to capture his first Daytona 500 Sprint Cup race on Sunday.

“It was good early, I led a lot (race-high 44 laps), but wasn’t able to make the best of it at the end,” Busch said. “(I) just kind of got boxed in there late.”

Sixth through 10th were Brendan Gaughan, Ty Dillon, Dylan Kwasniewski, Ryan Sieg and Kyle Larson.

“It’s good to come out of the blocks strong like this,” Smith said. “This is Daytona, it’s always tough to win here. We were close last year but it didn’t happen.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Berlin Formula E race gets new layout at Tempelhof Airport

Formula E
Leave a comment

Formula E has confirmed that June’s Berlin ePrix at Tempelhof Airport will use a revised layout to the one run in its first season.

Made famous for its role during the Berlin Airlift in the early Cold War years, Tempelhof Airport closed in 2008 and was turned into a public park, becoming the location for Formula E’s first visit to Germany in 2015.

The recent refugee crisis saw Tempelhof be turned into a temporary camp, forcing Formula E to move to the city center for season two.

Government officials in Berlin announced earlier this year that Formula E would not be able to return to the Alexanderplatz region for 2017, with the all-electric series opting to return to Tempelhof.

The series has now confirmed that it will race with a revised layout at the airport for the upcoming double-header in order to reflect the faster nature of the cars used in season three compared to the season one runners.

For us as a German team with German partners, and me as a German driver, it is great news that we will have two home races this season,” ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport’s Daniel Abt said.

“It’s no secret that I loved the track around Karl-Marx-Allee a lot. But now that I have seen the new Tempelhof layout, I can’t wait to get there. The fans will love the unique setting that brings everyone so close to the action and us drivers.

“The track is perfect for great racing and a lot of overtaking. I’m looking forward to meeting my home crowd. We will put on a great 48-hour Formula E party for the fans in Berlin.”

The Berlin ePrix takes place on June 10-11.

Lewis Hamilton: F1 needs Fernando Alonso competing in a quick car

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Three-time Formula 1 world champion Lewis Hamilton says the sport needs Fernando Alonso to be racing in a competitive car so that the Spaniard can show his quality and fight for race wins again.

Alonso won world titles in 2005 and 2006, but is yet to add a third to his collection despite being in contention for the drivers’ crown at the final race in 2007, 2010 and 2012.

Since joining McLaren in 2015, Alonso has been mired in F1’s midfield amid ongoing issues with the team’s Honda power unit, preventing him from even finishing on the podium in that period.

2017 looks poised to offer one of the closest title fights in recent years between Mercedes driver Hamilton and Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel, the latter winning the opening race of the year in Australia.

Speaking about the prospect of a close title fight with Vettel, Hamilton said he relished the idea, but wants to see Alonso battling at the front once again as well.

“I think the fans want to see that but even between all of us. We need [Fernando] to have a good car so he can get up there and fight with us as well, before his time’s up,” Hamilton said.

“We got a hint that it’s another couple of years at least, so that’s good. I feel we’re yet to see the best of Fernando. The sport needs that and he deserves to be able to show that.

“You want to be racing against the best. I think that’s what the fans want to see. That close racing and sheer competitiveness and see the ups and downs of the best doing their best.

“I’m definitely looking forward to racing with all these guys and I hope there’s lots of close racing.”

Alonso and Hamilton were last in contention for a championship together in 2012, when they raced for Ferrari and McLaren respectively, only for Vettel to clinch a third crown with Red Bull.

Honda teams to test at Sonoma Raceway on April 4

Photo: IndyCar
Leave a comment

Honda’s Verizon IndyCar Series teams are set visit Sonoma Raceway on April 4 for an all-day test session for the manufacturer.

Andretti Autosport (Marco Andretti, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Alexander Rossi, and Takuma Sato), Chip Ganassi Racing (Scott Dixon, Tony Kanaan, Charlie Kimball, and Max Chilton), Dale Coyne Racing (Sebastian Bourdais and Ed Jones), Schmidt Peterson Motorsports (James Hinchcliffe and Mikhail Aleshin), and Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing (Graham Rahal) are all scheduled to run. Of that group, Kanaan, Andretti, and Dixon are former winners at Sonoma Raceway.

The Sonoma test follows Honda’s March 24 test at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. However, Team Penske also scheduled a team test at the 2.5-mile oval on the same day, forcing Honda to share the track with their rival manufacturer.

However, no such conflict appears to be in play on Saturday. The test will be open to the public as well with free admission into the facility. Testing will run from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. local time.

Justin Timberlake to play this year’s U.S. Grand Prix at COTA

Getty Images
1 Comment

Taylor Swift playing last year’s U.S. Grand Prix at Circuit of The Americas in Austin was always going to be a hard act to match, or perhaps top.

Yet COTA has pulled it off with confirmation Wednesday that Justin Timberlake will be playing on the Saturday before this year’s race, on October 21.

Timberlake will play at the conclusion of track activity on Saturday for a full show. Tickets go on sale this Friday at 10 a.m. CT, with more info via COTA’s website. Here’s the pertinent details:

  • The concert will take place at COTA’s Super Stage Festival Lawn, not Austin360 Amphitheater
  • Seating is general admission, first come first served
  • All holders of a Saturday ticket for USGP weekend, including the 3-day GA wristband, will have access to the show

Circuit of The Americas announced a crowd of more than 80,000 last year for T-Swift, for her first and only planned concert of the year.

Timberlake is on par from a stratospheric level as Swift is. And half the draw of the COTA weekend, it seems, is ensuring you can get concertgoers to the track as well.

This should make for a fun end-of-day on Saturday.