Daytona 500 - Practice

Carl Edwards talks Phoenix, Daytona 500 on NBCSN’s NASCAR AMERICA


Last March at Phoenix International Raceway, Carl Edwards snapped a 70-race winless streak. And last fall, he was only a lap and a half’s worth of fuel from a season sweep there.

This weekend, the Sprint Cup Series returns to the one-mile PIR oval, and he’s confident that he can be a contender once again.

During an interview with Rick Allen and Jeff Burton on today’s edition of NASCAR AMERICA on NBCSN, Edwards trumpeted his Roush Fenway Racing team’s ability to find more speed in their Fords as a reason for why he’s been strong lately in the desert.

“The secret is we’ve been building really good race cars,” he said when Burton asked him about his secret to success at PIR. “[Crew chief] Jimmy Fennig and those guys, everyone at the shop – you spent a lot of time at Roush and you know how hard those guys work. But they’ve really stepped it up.

“I think our cars are better, we’ve worked better as a team, our tests have been better. And Jimmy, last year, he found some stuff – he and Dave McDonald, our shock guy, they worked on a couple of things that really helped out. The track’s great, the car drives great, and I hope nothing’s changed.”

But while Edwards is understandably looking forward to Phoenix, he’s also had time to think about last week’s Daytona 500.

Edwards was a late contender in The Great American Race, but lost the lead to eventual winner Dale Earnhardt Jr. down the backstretch with 17 laps to go.

He eventually was forced to swallow a 17th-place finish thanks to being involved in a last-lap accident.

“Looking back on it – my spotter, Jason Hedlesky, and I talked quite a bit, [team general manager] Robbie Reiser and I talked – I think it might have worked better with [teammate] Greg [Biffle] if I would have stayed behind Greg when he was leading and not taken the opportunity to jump out to the lead,” he said.

“I think we would’ve had a much better chance of one of us winning the race. But I had to go for the lead, I had some fun, I learned a little bit out there, and Dale Jr. and those guys were able to get by me.

“But, man, that was pretty cool to be leading the Daytona 500. I had a blast.”

Status targets 2016 GP2 title after GP3 exit

2015 GP2 Series Round 8.
Autodromo di Monza, Italy.
Sunday 6 September 2015.
Marlon Stockinger (PHL, Status Grand Prix) 
Photo: Sam Bloxham/GP2 Series Media Service.
ref: Digital Image _G7C2088
© GP2 Series
Leave a comment

Status Grand Prix has set its sights on winning the 2016 GP2 Series championship following its decision to close down its GP3 team at the end of the current season.

Earlier this week, GP3 issued a statement confirming its team roster for the next three seasons that featured new entries from DAMS and Virtuosi Racing.

However, both Carlin and Status did not appear on the list, signalling that both had opted to leave GP3 at the end of 2015.

Status first entered GP3 back in 2010, but only set up a GP2 team in 2015 after taking over the old Caterham Racing operation.

This will now become the main focus for the Irish outfit, though, as explained by team boss Teddy Yip Jr. earlier this week.

“Status Grand Prix has not renewed entry into the GP3 Series from 2016 onwards in order to maximize focus on our GP2 campaign,” Yip said.

“Having finished second in the team championship in the inaugural GP3 Series, we have enjoyed six successful years in the category collecting nine race wins, 26 podium finishes and vying for numerous team and driver titles.

“We are very proud to have given opportunities and achieved success with drivers such as Robert Wickens, Antonio Felix da Costa, Alexander Sims and our current GP2 race winner, Richie Stanaway.

“We now look forward to finishing the 2015 GP2 and GP3 seasons on a high before mounting a robust GP2 title campaign in 2016.”

Both GP2 and GP3 return from a one-month break next weekend in support of the Formula 1 Russian Grand Prix.

Hakkinen: Verstappen is already “a real pro”

during a media interview at the Shanghai Grand Theatre prior to the 2015 Laureus World Sports Awards on April 15, 2015 in Shanghai, China.
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Two-time Formula 1 world champion Mika Hakkinen has heaped praise upon Toro Rosso rookie Max Verstappen, supporting his decision to ignore team orders during last month’s Singapore Grand Prix.

Verstappen only turned 18 on Wednesday, but has already made a big impression on the F1 world during his first 14 races with his aggressive driving style and mature approach to racing.

In Singapore, Verstappen was told by Toro Rosso to let faster teammate Carlos Sainz Jr. go past, but refused to give up his position and eventually beat the Spaniard to finish eighth.

Writing in his Hermes blog, Hakkinen backed Verstappen’s decision to stay ahead and praised the Dutchman for his performances so far this season.

“A driver must be alert and keep track of what is happening around him at all times,” Hakkinen wrote. “That’s what Verstappen is. He does not simply let anyone pass if it’s not for the world championship, but only a few championship points.

“Verstappen is 18 years old, but the guy’s already a real pro. Young people are developing incredibly fast nowadays, and by that I don’t mean just drivers.”

Despite having more than half a season of F1 racing under his belt, Verstappen only gained his road driver’s license on his 18th birthday, having previously been under the age limit to drive a regular car in public.