TUSC: Chip Ganassi to run 2 cars in organization’s first-ever 12 Hours of Sebring

1 Comment

In a quarter-century as a team owner, Chip Ganassi’s teams have competed in pretty much every major NASCAR, IndyCar and sports car race you can think of — except the 12 Hours of Sebring.

The formidable multi-team owner can soon scratch that legendary race off his bucket list, as Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates will field not one but now two Prototypes for this year’s TUDOR United SportsCar Championship’s 12 Hours of Sebring on March 15 at the central Florida road course.

Ganassi had previously announced he would enter the No. 01 Telcel Ford EcoBoost Riley with 2013 and 2010 LMP2 American LeMans Series champ Marino Franchitti (Dario’s brother), Scott Pruett and Memo Rojas splitting driving duties.

Wednesday, CGR announced a second team that will pilot the No. 02 Comfort Revolution/Big Machine Records Ford EcoBoost Riley. Sharing driving duties will be three-time and reigning IndyCar Series champ Scott Dixon, Target IndyCar Series teammate and reigning Indianapolis 500 winner Tony Kanaan and reigning Indy Lights champ Sage Karam.

CGRFS is a seven-time GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car champion (2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013) and five-time Rolex 24 at Daytona winner (2006, 2007, 2008, 2011 and 2013).

“Doings things like adding a second car could not come about without the support of great partners like Big Machine and Comfort Revolution,” Steve Lauletta, president of CGRFS, said in a statement. “These partnerships allow us the opportunity to make a strong first impression and perform well in our first-ever trip to Sebring.

“The 12 hours is a historic race and having two entries with the addition of Tony, Scott, Marino and Sage is a key to us doing that.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Rebellion confirms LMP1 return, all-star line-up for WEC super season

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Rebellion Racing has confirmed it will return to the LMP1 class of the FIA World Endurance Championship for the 2018/19 ‘super season’ with an all-star line-up featuring Le Mans winners Neel Jani and Andre Lotterer.

Rebellion raced in LMP1 as a privateer between 2009 and 2016 before stepping down to LMP2 for the most recent season, capturing the class titles at the first attempt.

Following a push from the WEC and Automobile Club de l’Ouest (ACO) to make LMP1 more appealing to privateer teams, Rebellion announced on Wednesday it would return to the premier class for the 2018/19 season with a two-car effort.

WEC LMP2 champion Bruno Senna will return with Rebellion next year, as will Mathias Beche, with the pair set to be joined by four new faces.

The most notable arrivals are Porsche factory drivers Lotterer and Jani, both of whom were left without an LMP1 drive following the closure of the German manufacturer’s program at the end of the season.

American racer Gustavo Menezes will also join Rebellion, stepping up after two years in LMP2, while outstanding 2017 rookie Thomas Laurent completes the Swiss team’s line-up.

“I am looking forward to coming back where my endurance career started nine years ago,” said Jani.

“Rebellion Racing played a huge role in my career and also helped me become a factory driver for Porsche. When Porsche stopped in LMP1, it was clear for me that I wanted to race again for Rebellion.

“With the new regulations, I hope we can reach the overall podium at Le Mans and with a bit of luck, maybe we can even grab some wins during the super season of WEC.”

“I am very happy to join the champion Rebellion team,” added three-time Le Mans winner Lotterer.

“The LMP1 project is very exciting and to be able to go on with the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the FIA WEC challenge is something I did not want to miss.

“I am motivated and looking forward to have a great time with great people there.”