Boyd Gaming 300

NNS: Keselowski hangs on, beats Kyle Busch in Vegas

Leave a comment

Brad Keselowski may have had the dominant car in today’s NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, but his drive to the checkered flag was anything but easy.

The 2012 Sprint Cup champion overshot his pit box during yellow-flag stops with around 50 laps to go and dropped from second to fifth.

Then, after charging back to the lead off a restart with 38 laps to go, his No. 22 Team Penske Ford began losing power in the last handful of laps – just as Vegas native Kyle Busch was charging towards him and just as the two were heading into heavy lapped traffic.

But Keselowski persevered and was able to keep Busch in his rear view mirror to claim a nail-biter in the Boyd Gaming 300 at LVMS, his first Nationwide win on the 1.5-mile oval.

“We found everything we could to make it hard,” Keselowski told ESPN in Victory Lane. “…These races aren’t getting any easier to win. I drove as hard as I could every lap knowing that Kyle was coming, especially at the end there. We were having some troubles with the engine there and I knew it was just a matter of time before he caught me.

“I was just trying to get through as much traffic as I could and extend that [gap] and counting down the laps. It felt good that everything worked out in the end.

Meanwhile, Busch was visibly disappointed with the near-miss after what had been a tough weekend for him and the No. 54 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota team.

Busch was forced to go to a backup car after crashing his primary in practice. He was still able to qualify seventh but was then sent to the rear of the field when NASCAR determined his team had made an unapproved adjustment to his car after the machines had been impounded after qualifying; the team had discovered a frayed alternator belt.

An undaunted Busch roared through the field, cracking the Top 10 within the first 20 laps. He would later find the lead during the race’s middle stages.

But on the aforementioned restart with 38 laps to go, Busch (on the outside lane) was jumped for first and second by both Keselowski and Chase Elliott. He was able to get back to P2 shortly after but while he was able to reel in Keselowski, he couldn’t get past him.

“I don’t know what caused us to lose the lead,” Busch said. “That was unfortunate. I think that was the race. Our car was super fast on the long run when guys would get their tires hot and use up everything. You could see guys hang with us for about 10-20 [laps] and from about 30 [laps] on, it was me better than the rest.

“The best motor won today, that’s for sure. Probably the best car – [Brad] was really good. But I don’t know. That’s all we had.”

Sprint Cup rookie Kyle Larson made contact early with the wall and had visible front-end damage on his No. 42 Turner Scott Motorsports Chevrolet but still managed to finish third.

Dale Earnhardt Jr., the current Sprint Cup points leader, was fourth and his JR Motorsports employee, NNS rookie Chase Elliott, finished fifth to claim his first NNS career Top-5.

Rosberg would have continued in F1 had he lost title to Hamilton

31011645160_8d6b53f810_k
© FIA
Leave a comment

Nico Rosberg says he would have continued racing in Formula 1 had he lost the drivers’ championship to Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton last weekend in Abu Dhabi.

Rosberg clinched his maiden F1 World Championship by five points ahead of Hamilton before sensationally announcing his immediate retirement from racing five days later.

The news sent shockwaves through F1, but Rosberg was content with fulfilling his childhood dream and winning the World Championship, reasoning his retirement.

“When I was six years old and started out, the dream was very clear: it’s becoming Formula 1 World Champion,” Rosberg said after receiving the championship trophy at the FIA gala in Vienna on Friday.

“That’s what I pursued all along, and it’s mission accomplished for me. I’ve done it. It’s my dream come true.

“Now on to other things, family first now, in the winter gonna love that, and let’s see what the future holds. Just following my heart.”

Rosberg revealed that he would have continued in F1 had he lost out to Hamilton in the race for the championship, with his Mercedes contract running to the end of the 2018 season.

“No I never give up. So if I would have come second, I would have gone for another year for sure, next year, definitely,” Rosberg said.

“I knew when I won [I would retire], but I wasn’t sure yet if I had the courage. But here I am now, and I’m very happy.”

Rosberg receives F1 World Championship trophy at FIA gala

30573520503_4f447c79ca_k
© FIA
Leave a comment

Nico Rosberg has officially been crowned Formula 1 World Champion after picking up the drivers’ trophy at the end-of-season FIA prize giving gala in Vienna on Friday.

Rosberg won his first world title last weekend in Abu Dhabi, edging out Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton by five points in the final standings.

Rosberg dropped a bombshell on Friday by announcing his immediate retirement from F1, just hours before the FIA gala and his coronation as champion.

“Finally I lose that little asterisk next to my name that means not sure yet, it’s finally confirmed,” Rosberg said after receiving the trophy from FIA president Jean Todt.

“Unbelievable. So proud to be here. Thank you very much to the FIA for the special video that got me crying for the 15th time in four days. It’s been a pretty intense period.

“It’s my childhood dream. Emotional for me also when I saw this trophy for the first time today, I had a look where my Dad was. For me that’s one of the most emotional things about this, I managed to achieve what he did 34 years ago. It’s very special.”

Ricciardo: Rosberg has given someone an amazing Christmas present

31381755245_2d81e9f66f_k
© FIA
Leave a comment

Daniel Ricciardo says that Nico Rosberg has given someone “an amazing Christmas present” by announcing his shock retirement from Formula 1 and opening up a seat at Mercedes for the 2017 season.

Ahead of Friday’s FIA prize giving in Vienna, Rosberg announced his retirement from F1 with immediate effect less than a week after winning his first World Championship.

The news sent shockwaves through F1, as well as sparking speculation as to who will replace him at Mercedes, the team that has won every championship in the past three seasons.

Following the FIA gala where he received his trophy for finishing third in the drivers’ championship, Ricciardo spoke about the news in a video posted to his Instagram account.

“We had the FIA gala last night, the end of year awards. It was good, it was really beautiful, but I think the big news was Nico announcing his retirement,” Ricciardo said.

“That was pretty unexpected I guess. He’s given someone an amazing Christmas present, whoever gets that seat, I hope they appreciate what they’re getting.

“But good on him for having the nuts to say that’s enough, he achieved what he wanted. Fair play.”

👋🏼🇦🇹

A video posted by Daniel Ricciardo (@danielricciardo) on

Ecclestone shocked by Rosberg exit, thinks Alonso could move to Mercedes

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 16:  Nico Rosberg of Germany and Mercedes GP and F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone talk in the Paddock during previews ahead of the European Formula One Grand Prix at Baku City Circuit on June 16, 2016 in Baku, Azerbaijan.  (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images,)
© Getty Images
1 Comment

Bernie Ecclestone was shocked to learn of Formula 1 World Champion Nico Rosberg’s decision to retire with immediate effect, announced on Friday.

Rosberg clinched his first drivers’ title in Abu Dhabi last Sunday, ending Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton’s reign as World Champion.

Ahead of the FIA prize giving in Vienna on Friday, Rosberg announced that he would not be defending his title in 2017, retiring from racing with immediate effect.

The racing world has been shellshocked by the news, with F1 CEO Ecclestone revealing that he had no idea that the sport would be without its champion for next season.

“It was just as big a shock to me as you,” Ecclestone told Reuters.

“I had dinner with Toto [Wolff, Mercedes team boss] last night and he obviously couldn’t say anything to me.

“[Rosberg] needs more time to spend his money, that’s all.”

Following Rosberg’s announcement, speculation has been rife regarding a possible replacement at Mercedes for 2017, with names such as Fernando Alonso, Sebastian Vettel and Pascal Wehrlein being linked with the seat.

Ecclestone was open to the idea of Alonso leaving McLaren with one year to spare on his contract, suggesting that the recent management changes could allow the Spaniard to walk away.

“It’s possible I suppose, let’s see,” Ecclestone said.

“They’ve got new management now at McLaren. Maybe he’s fed up being there and they’re fed up having him.”

When asked if Vettel might be an option for Mercedes, Ecclestone said: “I think not. I don’t think Seb would want to be with Lewis.”

2017 will be the first year since 1994 that the defending World Champion has not raced in F1, with Alain Prost retiring at the end of his championship year in 1993.