AP Photo/Eric Gay

Updated: Even out of gas, Earnhardt extends best season start with runner-up finish at Vegas

1 Comment

With about 20 laps remaining, crew chief Steve Letarte warned race leader Dale Earnhardt Jr. that he would be about a half-lap shy of enough fuel to finish Sunday’s Kobalt 400 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

And even though his driver did everything he could in the closing laps to conserve fuel, Letarte couldn’t have been more precise.

Earnhardt was heading towards what would have been his second win in the first three races of the 2014 Sprint Cup season when his car began sputtering on the backstretch, coming out of turn two on the final lap.

Keselowski passed Earnhardt and went on to win the race. Junior, however, was able to restart his sputtering motor just enough to make it to the finish line in second place.

“I was lifting real early trying to save even more,” Earnhardt said about his fuel level in the post-race press conference. “We figured we were a lap short, and I was lifting early and let Brad get there.

“I felt like if we were good enough to hold him off, then we’d win the race.  If we weren’t, we would have saved enough fuel to have finished the race, at least get to the end. I can run out of gas on the back stretch and be okay, but if I run out off of 4 coming to the white it would’ve been big trouble, so I had to save a little bit. So I let him catch us and once he got there, I ran as hard as I could and could pull back away from him.”

When asked if he second-guessed the decision to stay out and not pit for a splash of fuel, Earnhardt said it was the right strategy to keep racing.

“You know, it did pay off.  Not the ultimate prize, but we did run second,” he said. “As much as you want to win, and believe me, we were out there trying to win, you do take pride in a good performance, a good finish, and we weren’t going to run in the top 5 if we hadn’t have used that particular strategy. If we’d have run the same strategy as our competitors we would have probably run just inside the top 10 where we were all day.

“At least it felt like I was around eighth all day.  I just couldn’t get any ground, and we fought the car all day. Just the air is so dirty behind everybody, the further back you get you’ve got less and less grip.  Once we got the lead, it was like driving a Cadillac.”

Even though Earnhardt didn’t win, he nonetheless continued his torrid hot streak – the best start of his 15-year Sprint Cup career, with a win in the season opening Daytona 500 and back–to-back runner-up finishes at Phoenix and Las Vegas.

And while he also has never won at LVMS, Sunday marked the third time Earnhardt has finished second in 15 career starts there.

“Yeah, this is a good start for sure,” Earnhardt said. “Yeah, the confidence is up there. When we first got together we’d run our guts out to run in the top 15.  Then the next year we’d run our guts out to run in the top 10, and you wondered when you’d get up to fifth and start running in the top 5 regularly.

“We started doing that finally last year, and so our team just keeps stepping up this ladder. It just makes total sense to me how that process has went, having lived it and having seen the progression. So the sky’s the limit for us, and if we are smart and keep our composure and don’t get foolish and don’t get too proud of ourselves, just keep it in perspective, we’ve got a great opportunity this year to be this competitive every week. … You definitely don’t want to take it for granted, get used to it, but this is what we envisioned, and starting to bear some fruit.”

With his win, Keselowski closed the points gap on Earnhardt in the Sprint Cup standings. Junior came into Las Vegas leading by six points; he now leads Keselowski by only one point after the first three races.

“It’s disappointing (to finish second), but at the same time the good Lord has blessed me with a good team and good fortune and great opportunity,” Earnhardt said. “So I don’t want to get too down and think (only) about the positives and be productive so we can go to Bristol (next Sunday) and try to win there.”

Keselowski and Earnhardt are both past winners at the half-mile track at Bristol Motor Speedway.

“It sucks to lose like that, but we can’t let it be a negative,” Earnhardt said. “We have to go to Bristol and try to win there. Only way to be productive is to be positive, so we’ve got to look at the positives today and keep working toward our goal of winning some more races.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Manor WEC program launched

Photo: Manor
Photo: Manor
Leave a comment

One of the intriguing elements to come out of yesterday’s entry list reveal for the FIA World Endurance Championship and 24 Hours of Le Mans was the confirmation of Manor in LMP2.

Sporting director Graeme Lowdon and team principal John Booth hinted something new was up not long after the final Grand Prix of the season, when the pair took their bows from what had been the Manor Marussia Formula 1 Team at the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi.

That “something” was revealed on Friday as an Oreca 05 Nissan in the stacked LMP2 class – a 10-car class – with Tor Graves, a past Manor driver, confirmed as the first new driver for the effort.

“We are delighted to be joining the World Endurance Championship. It is a fantastic series that visits iconic tracks all over the world. The level of competition is very high and we are really looking forward to racing again,” Booth said.

“The LMP2 class is specifically designed for teams independent of manufacturers and/or engine suppliers which places the focus firmly on how the team performs.

“I can’t wait to see the car running now. We have lots to do but we have a great team of people to get it all done.”

The team might be out before the Prologue test at Paul Ricard end of March, but it’s likely that test will mark the team’s first significant running. It should have its driver lineup settled by then, as well.

Lowdon, who’s been bit by the sports car racing bug, expanded on the announcement.

“It’s really great to be racing again and the FIA World Endurance Championship provides a fantastic challenge for us,” he said

“Preseason testing starts soon and there is a lot to do but we have never been afraid of a bit of hard work.

“There is a real buzz within the team at the moment, we have enjoyed great support from the fans over the last few months and we are very keen for them to get fully involved in what we are doing. We all have a great passion for motorsport and we are keen to share that passion.”

‘Very possible’ Frijns will make IndyCar debut with Andretti

PUNTA DEL ESTE, URUGUAY - DECEMBER 19:  In this handout image supplied by Formula E, Robin Frijns (NLD), Andretti - Spark SRT_01E during the Julius Baer Punta del Este Formula E race at Playa Brava Beach street circuit on December 19, 2015 in Punta Del Este, Uruguay. (Photo by Adam Warner/LAT/Formula E via Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

BUENOS AIRES – Michael Andretti has said that it is “possible” Formula E driver Robin Frijns will make his Verizon IndyCar Series debut with Andretti Autosport in 2016.

Frijns enjoyed a successful junior career in Europe, beating Jules Bianchi to the Formula Renault 3.5 title in 2012, but was never able to make the step up to Formula 1.

Frijns joined Andretti’s Formula E team for the 2015-2016 season, and scored its first podium of the campaign in Putrajaya.

Speaking to MotorSportsTalk in Buenos Aires, Andretti confirmed that the team was still considering its options for a fourth car in the 2016 Verizon IndyCar Series season.

“Right now we’re still a three car team. There are still a couple of irons in the fire for the fourth car,” Andretti said.

“We also have a couple of irons in the fire for the fourth car for maybe doing certain races, not the whole season. So we’re still trying.”

When asked if either of his Formula E drivers could possible fill this seat, Andretti said that it was possible Frijns could step up for a few races.

“It’s very possible that he could, one or two races, but we’ll see,” Andretti said. “It’s possible, yeah.”

When asked by MotorSportsTalk if an opportunity to race in IndyCar with Andretti was on the cards, Frijns remained coy, saying: “That’s not a question I have to answer.”

However, he did admit that he would jump at the chance to do race if offered: “Oh yeah definitely!”

Honda has hinted it could supply a 12th engine at multiple races this year, not necessarily for the same team. Spencer Pigot is already confirmed to a three-race program with Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing at St. Petersburg and the month of May.

Sam Bird flies to maiden Formula E pole in Buenos Aires

FIA Formula E Championship 2015/16.
Beijing ePrix, Beijing, China.
Race.
Sam Bird (GBR), DS Virgin Racing DSV-01 
Beijing, China, Asia.
Saturday 24 October 2015
Photo: Adam Warner / LAT / FE
ref: Digital Image _A8C5210
© Formula E
Leave a comment

BUENOS AIRES – Sam Bird stormed to his first pole position in Formula E in qualifying for the Buenos Aires ePrix on Saturday at Puerto Madero.

Bird had finished fourth in the initial qualifying standings, securing himself a place in the Super Pole shootout alongside Stephane Sarrazin, Nicolas Prost, Mike Conway and Antonio Felix da Costa.

Despite expressing concerns about the extra weight of the DS Virgin Racing car earlier in the weekend, Bird squeezed every tenth out of it to post a fastest time of 1:09.420 and shoot to the top of the timesheets.

Neither da Costa or Sarrazin were able to better Bird’s time despite beating him in the first stage of qualifying and heading out on track after him, handing the Briton his first pole in Formula E.

Prost led Renault e.dams’ charge by qualifying second as teammate and championship leader Sebastien Buemi spun on his fast lap, leaving him at the very back of the grid for the race in Buenos Aires.

Despite running with a season one car, da Costa managed to qualify an excellent third ahead of the Venturi duo of Stephane Sarrazin and Mike Conway – the latter reaching the Super Pole shootout on debut.

Robin Frijns was unfortunate not to make the top five, finishing sixth ahead of championship contender Lucas di Grassi. The ABT Schaeffler driver will be disappointed not to have qualified higher, but still has a golden opportunity to capitalize on Buemi’s mistake.

Daniel Abt will start the race alongside his teammate on the grid after qualifying eighth ahead of Nelson Piquet Jr. and Jerome d’Ambrosio. Oliver Turvey and Loic Duval follow their teammates in 11th and 12th.

Nick Heidfeld qualified 13th on his return from injury ahead of Simona de Silvestro, while Jean-Eric Vergne completed – in his words “mission impossible” – to get out on track and finish 15th after his health scare this morning.

Bruno Senna and Salvador Duran both shunted their cars on their quick laps, leaving them 16th and 17th respectively ahead only of Buemi in the e.dams.

Buemi streets ahead in second Buenos Aires FE practice

2015 Formula E  Buenos Aires e-Prix, Argentina
Friday 5 February 2016.
Sebastien Buemi (SUI), Renault e.Dams Z.E.15 & Nicolas Prost (FRA), Renault e.Dams Z.E.15 
Photo: Sam Bloxham/FIA Formula E/LAT
ref: Digital Image _SBL9537
© Formula E
Leave a comment

BUENOS AIRES – Sebastien Buemi lived up to his billing as championship favorite by storming to the top of the timesheets in second practice for the Buenos Aires ePrix.

Buemi was unable to complete a full power 200kW lap in FP1 on Saturday, limiting him to just fifth place in the final standings.

However, the Swiss driver rallied in FP2 and utilized all of the power in his Renault e.dams to produce as fastest lap time of 1:08.771, leaving him over half a second clear at the top of the timesheets.

“Yeah I think it was a good session for me because I was able to exerpience wht the 200kw lap can do,” Buemi said after the session.

“It’s not too bad but the track is very ricky. There’s a lot of sand still on the track. Otherwise it’s quite fun to drive the track.”

Buemi was followed home by title rival Lucas di Grassi, but the ABT Schaeffler driver was unable to match the pace laid down at the very top.

Nicolas Prost will be looking to get into the fight for the race win with teammate Buemi this weekend, having finished third in FP2, just 0.001 seconds shy of di Grassi.

Sam Bird continued DS Virgin Racing’s strong start to the weekend by finishing fourth, but the involvement of teammate Jean-Eric Vergne remains unclear. The Frenchman was ruled out by the team, only to turn up at the track and claim he is fit to race. However, he took no part in practice.