Full Thursday 2014 Australian Grand Prix FIA Press Conference

Leave a comment

Four-time defending World Champion Sebastian Vettel, fell World Champions Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso, new Red Bull recruit Daniel Ricciardo, new Williams signing Felipe Massa and McLaren rookie Kevin Magnussen participated in Thursday’s press conference.

The full transcript can be found here, via the official Formula One website.

Vettel, whose Red Bull team has had a rough time of it in preseason testing, admitted as such during the press conference without mincing any words.

“It’s obviously a tough step for all the teams, all the drivers, a lot of new things to get used to,” Vettel said. “We know that obviously we’re not in the best shape yet. There are a lot of things we need to solve.”

Hamilton said the new cars aren’t as fun to drive – yet – but they’re just coming into their own.

“Now we’re in a new phase and it’s just something that just takes some time to get used to,” said the Mercedes driver. “The sound, for example, is not as impressive as what we had in the past but once you get all the cars on the track, on the grid, I’m pretty sure it will be impressive for the fans still.”

Alonso admits the same.

“The car itself and the technology that Formula One brought this year are a little bit complex to everyone. We are learning and we are developing the car every day that we work on it,” said the two-time World Champion.

Massa and Ricciardo still look forward to driving with their new teams.

“So many new people arriving – including me. But, I’m pretty motivated,” Massa said. “For sure we can be there. I don’t know how competitive we’re going to be compared to the other teams.”

Adds Ricciardo of his Red Bull shot, “I think for now just focus on what I’ve done the last few years and keep doing what I’ve been doing to get to this point – and then assess it from there and see how it’s going.”

Rookie Magnussen doesn’t underestimate the challenge as he prepares for his first Grand Prix.

“It’s a big job, a big challenge but I think I’m pretty much as ready as you can be these days,” he said. “I’ve done a lot of work over the winter but I’m not underestimating the challenge that I’m facing. It’s a big challenge but I’m looking forward to it.”

Audi bids farewell to Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich upon retirement

Audi Sport
Leave a comment

Audi bid farewell to its iconic head of motorsport, Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich, at its end-of-season ‘Race Night’ event in Germany on Friday upon his retirement.

Ullrich took over the reins as Audi’s head of motorsport in 1993 and stayed in the role for 23 years, overseeing its arrival in the prototype class of sports car racing and domination of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Ullrich stepped down from the position at the end of 2016, handing the reins over to ex-Audi DTM chief Dieter Gass, and attended his final racing event with the German marque at its first works Formula E outing in Hong Kong earlier this month.

Ullrich was honored at the Race Night event on Friday and thanked for his efforts in developing Audi into a force within global motorsport.

“In 566 factory-backed commitments during this period he celebrated 209 victories, 13 of them in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, eleven in the 12-hour race at Sebring and nine in the ‘Petit Le Mans’ at Road Atlanta,” a piece on Ullrich’s tenure for Audi’s website reads.

“31 driver titles in super touring car racing, in the DTM and in the sports prototype category are credited to him. 57 campaigners were Audi factory drivers during Wolfgang Ullrich’s era and he was responsible for 18 new developments of racing cars – an impressive tally.”