Kyle Larson earns pole for Saturday’s NASCAR Nationwide Series race, Kyle Busch on outside pole

Leave a comment

If you predicted that a driver named Kyle would be on the front row for Saturday’s Drive to Stop Diabetes 300 at Bristol Motor Speedway, you couldn’t go wrong.

Kyle Larson qualified No. 1 for the race with a speed of 124.476. Starting next to Larson on the outside pole is Kyle Busch (124.307).

Matt Kenseth qualified third (124.186), followed by Brian Scott (123.594), Ryan Blaney (123.308), Kevin Harvick (123.197), current NNS points leader Regan Smith (123.166) was seventh-fastest, James Buescher (122.544), Ty Dillon (121.844), Mike Bliss (121.767) in 10th.

Cale Conley, making his first career NNS start, qualified 12th, alongside No. 11 Dylan Kwasniewski, who tried to improve his position in the closing minutes of qualifying, only to spin and hit the wall, resulting in heavy damage to the left rear of his Chevrolet.

Kwasniewski’s team was attempting to repair the damage rather than go to a backup car.

Here’s the starting grid for Saturday’s Drive to Stop Diabetes 300 Presented by Lilly Diabetes NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Bristol Motor Speedway:

Row 1

Kyle Larson, Kyle Busch

Row 2

Matt Kenseth, Brian Scott

Row 3

Ryan Blaney, Kevin Harvick

Row 4

Regan Smith, James Buescher

Row 5

Ty Dillon, Mike Bliss

Row 6

Dylan Kwasniewski, Cale Conley

Row 7

Chris Buescher, Treevor Bayne

Row 8

Chase Elliott, Matt DiBenedetto

Row 9

Jeffrey Earnhardt, Elliott Sadler

Row 10

Ryan Sieg, Brendan Gaughan

Row 11

Ryan Reed, Will Kimmel

Row 12

Josh Wise, Blake Koch

Row 13

Timmy Hill, Landon Cassill

Row 14

Kelly Admiraal, Mike Wallace

Row 15

Dakoda Armstrong, Jeremy Clements

Row 16

Tanner Berryhill, Carl Long

Row 17

Kevin Lepage, Joe Nemechek

Row 18

Eric McClure, Derrike Cope

Row 19

Jamie Dick, Joey Gase

Row 20

Ruben Garcia Jr., Matt Carter

Failing to qualify: Tommy Joe Martins (withdrew), Willie Allen

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

‘No desire’ for Lewis Hamilton to race in Indianapolis 500

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Lewis Hamilton has ruled out a future appearance in the Indianapolis 500, saying he has “no real plans” to do any serious racing once his time in Formula 1 is over.

Former teammate and current McLaren driver Fernando Alonso took part in the 101st running of the Indy 500 in May, qualifying fifth and running high up the order before retiring late on with an engine issue.

The F1-to-IndyCar crossover proved to be one of the biggest motorsport stories of the year, and has stirred the imagination of other drivers to make a similar step into other events in the future, including the 24 Hours of Le Mans which is known to be on Alonso’s radar as well as that of Haas racer Romain Grosjean.

Three-time F1 world champion Hamilton admired 2017 Indy 500 winner Takuma Sato’s victory ring when on the podium at the Japanese Grand Prix earlier this month, trying it on and joking it may spur him to enter the race to try and win the jewelry.

Speaking ahead of this weekend’s United States Grand Prix in Austin, Texas, Hamilton stressed he made the comment in jest, saying he holds not interest in entering the ‘500.

“Honestly it hasn’t inspired me to do the Indy 500,” Hamilton said.

“I’ve always respected it and appreciated it. I got to watch part of it when Fernando did it which I thought was super exciting. I love the idea of drivers being able to do more than one series.

“Just the other day I got to drive an F1 car on an oval circuit which was interesting. I have a huge amount of respect for those drivers as it is quite scary approaching those banks at the speeds that they do.

“I personally don’t have a desire to drive it. Maybe one day I will go out and have some fun.

“I have a lot of opportunities to do those kinds of things, but no real plans to do anything serious.”

Hamilton has previously said he would like to try a NASCAR race for fun one day, but has made clear his plan after his F1 career is over is to distance himself from racing in order to pursue other interests.