Conor Daly gets second GP2 test with Lazarus

Leave a comment

The GP2 Series will have its next preseason test at Bahrain Wednesday through Friday this week, and Conor Daly will be back for a second time with the Venezuela GP Lazarus team, per the Indianapolis Star.

Ideally, not for an encore after a horror smash in Abu Dhabi last week.

The 22-year-old has not been to Bahrain previously despite a jet-setting tour of countries in past open-wheel racing outings in GP3 and the Indian MRF Challenge series.

He’ll again team with Nathaniel Berthon for the test.

Daly won’t be the only one flying the stars and stripes, as so too does Caterham GP2 driver Alexander Rossi. He has been confirmed for his second full season in GP2, and looks to build on winning his first race and ninth in the points a year ago.

Brown: Dennis would have made same decision on McLaren-Honda split

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Zak Brown believes former McLaren team boss Ron Dennis would have made the same decision to cut ties with struggling Formula 1 engine partner Honda had he still been in charge at the team in 2017.

McLaren executive director Brown helped engineer a deal for the team to split with Honda at the end of the 2017 season after three tough seasons that had seen the Japanese manufacturer offer little in the way of performance or reliability.

The decision split opinion, with McLaren spurning a significant annual financial injection from Honda in order to link up with Renault, believing its on-track fortunes had to be prioritized over its commercial interests.

In an interview with Sky Sports, Brown was asked if he believed Dennis – McLaren’s long-running team chief before stepping down at the end of 2016 – would have made the same decision to cut ties with Honda.

“I think he would have,” Brown said.

“He was here when those conversations were ongoing and I think Ron always has and always will have the best interests of McLaren in his heart.

“He is Mr. McLaren. It burns him inside as much as us not to see us winning races.”

Brown also elaborated on the decision to break off the much-lauded relationship with Honda, saying the first signs of trouble with the 2017 power unit were clear in pre-season.

After a number of attempts to try and rectify the situation, Brown and his fellow team bosses felt there was no alternative but to end the Honda deal for 2018.

“We knew we were in trouble in testing in Barcelona and we worked really hard for six months to try and find solutions that would give us confidence that we’d be much more competitive in 2018,” Brown said.

“Ultimately, after trying many different things and many different ways we felt we couldn’t get there.

“Three years is a long time in Formula 1 and so we needed to change the direction to get our team back at the top.”