Relatives of MH370 passengers forced to switch hotel as F1 arrives in Kuala Lumpur

2 Comments

Relatives of the passengers on the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 have been moved out of a hotel in Kuala Lumpur in order to make way for the arrival of Formula 1 fans and personnel for next weekend’s Malaysian Grand Prix.

Flight MH370 left Kuala Lumpur International Airport at 00:41 local time on Saturday 8th March with 239 passengers on board. However, it disappeared from all tracking devices whilst en route to Beijing, with its last known position being in the Malacca Straits.

Since then, no trace of the aircraft has been found, and a wide-reaching search has ensued, encompassing all areas within seven hours of the aircraft’s last known position.

A number of Chinese families arrived in Kuala Lumpur in order to receive updates regarding the search, and were staying in the Cyberview Hotel. However, due to the hotel being fully booked as a result of the Malaysian Grand Prix, they have now been moved by Malaysia Airlines to another residence.

The families were taken by bus to the Bangi-Putrajaya Hotel in order to accommodate the incoming guests at the Cyberview Hotel.

Speaking to Reuters, transport minister Hishammuddin Hussein said: “We will be moving out of here because the F1 race is going to go on.”

Practice for the Malaysian Grand Prix gets underway on March 28 at the Sepang International Circuit.

To read the full NBC News report, click here.

Montoya: ‘Hopefully I get a chance to do Indy again’ (VIDEO)

Leave a comment

Juan Pablo Montoya is on site at this weekend’s United States Grand Prix, his latest trip in a summer and fall filled with a lot of international travel and a number of different race cars he’s been in.

Montoya is committed to a full season in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship with Acura Team Penske in 2018, as he’ll share one of the team’s Acura ARX-05s with Dane Cameron.

However, the question of whether he’ll be able to race in the 102nd Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil remains.

Team Penske has said it plans to only run four cars next month of May, with Helio Castroneves as the fourth driver alongside the three full-time cars driven by Josef Newgarden, Simon Pagenaud and Will Power.

While Montoya has said elsewhere that he’s shopping offers and has talked with other teams, it’d be highly surprising to see the two-time Indianapolis 500 champion who developed the Chevrolet engine for IndyCar’s 2018 Dallara universal body kit in a Honda-powered IndyCar, although he is running Honda’s brand (Acura) in sports cars.

Montoya elaborated on his Indy 500 prospects in an interview with NBCSN pit reporter and insider Will Buxton at the Circuit of The Americas.

“Not full-time no,” Montoya told NBCSN of his IndyCar 2018 prospects. “Hopefully I get a chance to go to Indy, hopefully with Penske, (and) if not someone else. We’ll see.”

Photo: IndyCar

Montoya has extolled the early testing both on the 2018 IndyCar and on the Acura ARX-05.

The first Acura chassis has run at Road Atlanta and Sebring International Raceway thus far, and will be put through its paces at other venues over the next few months.

“It’s been good. We did a lot of work with INDYCAR on that car. Fans are gonna like it,” Montoya said of the 2018 kit.

“Going to IMSA with the Acura program, we’ve done a lot of testing. It’s a beauty to drive. It drives better than what it looks! I haven’t had that much fun driving a race car in a long time.”

Acura ARX-05 Daytona Prototype international (DPi) race car to be campaigned by Team Penske in 2018