F1 Grand Prix of Italy - Race

FIA president appears open to louder engines from new cars


The new era of Formula One was met poorly in some quarters after the season-opening Australian Grand Prix, with complaints seeming to center around the lack of noise made by the V-6 powered cars.

Australian Grand Prix organizers said the quieter cars may have breached their contracts with F1 management, and the series’ boss, Bernie Ecclestone, has said that ways to make the cars louder should be investigated as the season hits its stride.

In his comments, Ecclestone said he had talked to FIA president Jean Todt about the subject, and in an interview with Italian network RAI, the former Ferrari general manager appeared to be open to any ideas – even though he himself found the new sound of F1 “fascinating.”

“The noise is obviously different now, and if there is a problem with it then if the teams agree we can look at a way to make it noisier,” he said to RAI.

But noise is just one aspect that he’s concerned with when it comes to the turbo-charged motors.

He also touched on the subject of teams having to go into fuel-save mode too often in order to see the checkered flag, saying that he doesn’t want to see “Formula One ‘economy runs.'”

However, he said that fuel-saving wasn’t the cause of the lack of passing in Melbourne. Instead, Todt believed that was due to the cars’ aerodynamics and the lack of overtaking opportunities from the Albert Park circuit itself.

“I am convinced that very soon we will see a lot of overtaking,” he said on that subject. “So let’s wait before making judgements.”

Still, Ecclestone has indicated that he isn’t willing to wait very long, at least in regards to the noise issue.

“I don’t know whether it’s possible [to make modifications,] but we should investigate,” he said about that aspect to the UK’s Telegraph paper earlier this month. “I think, let’s get the first few races out of the way and then maybe look to do something.

“We can’t wait all season. It could be too late by then.”

Report: Ecclestone believes F1 could be sold by year’s end

F1 Grand Prix of Germany
(Getty Images)
Leave a comment

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone on Tuesday said the racing series is up for sale and has as many as three potential buyers.

Ecclestone told The Associated Press that a deal could still be struck by year’s end.

“I think so, maybe this year,” Ecclestone said. “There are three people mentioned to buy. So it’s a case of whether CVC or Mr. Mackenzie wants to sell.”

Ecclestone was referring to F1’s largest and controlling shareholder, CVC Capital Partners co-chairman Donald Mackenzie.

But even if F1 is sold, the 84-year-old Eccelstone doesn’t plan on going anywhere.

“The people that I’ve spoken to … have asked me if I would stay,” Ecclestone told AP.

Follow @JerryBonkowski

IndyCar: Andretti, Hunter-Reay, Hinchcliffe test at Mid-Ohio

TORONTO, ON - JULY 19:  Marco Andretti driver of the #25 Andretti Autosport Dallara Honda stands on pit wall prior to qualifying for the Verizon IndyCar Series Honda Indy Toronto on the Streets of Toronto on July 19, 2014 in Toronto, Canada.  (Photo by Chris Trotman/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Monday was IndyCar team owner Michael Andretti’s 53rd birthday and son Marco was nowhere to be found – but with good reason.

The younger Andretti and Andretti Autosport teammate Ryan Hunter-Reay were both testing at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course near Lexington, Ohio.

Also taking part in the test was Schmidt Peterson Motorsport’s James Hinchcliffe.

It was Hinchcliffe’s second successful test since recovering from his horrific crash during practice for this year’s Indianapolis 500 in May.

Hinchcliffe’s first test was last week at Road America in Wisconsin.

Monday’s test session was not open to the public or media, but a Honda source told Motorsportstalk that drivers and teams reportedly focused on testing aerodynamics for the 2016 Verizon IndyCar Series season.

Follow @JerryBonkowski