Raikkonen: Ferrari working flat out to resolve problems

3 Comments

Kimi Raikkonen has explained how the entire Ferrari team is working flat out to resolve the problems with the F14 T, but he has dismissed the idea that there is an issue with the brake-by-wire system on the car.

The Finn failed to impress upon his return to Ferrari last weekend in Australia, finishing the race in seventh place after a long battle with the Toro Rosso drivers and having been overtaken twice by compatriot Valtteri Bottas.

Heading to this weekend’s Malaysian Grand Prix though, Raikkonen isn’t concerned and has faith in the team to turn things around.

“Obviously not the ideal start for the year, for the team, not what we obviously want to achieve,” Raikkonen admitted during a press conference on Thursday. “We want to do much better results but after all the difficulties over the weekend and how difficult it was, how many areas, just the small things.

“At least we got something out and it’s going to be a long year, so hopefully we can now build on it. We have plenty of good people and they’re working flat out as a group to improve things. So, we still have things to do but I’m sure we can keep progressing.”

Despite rumors suggesting that a problem with the new brake-by-wire system had caused Raikkonen problems, the Finn was quick to dismiss these ideas.

“Ah, I don’t know where that came from,” he said. “It’s not the issue. There is nothing wrong with the system. Somebody asked me after the race and I said ‘it’s not that’ – because they kind of said ‘is there some issue?’ It’s not true.

“But just mainly setup to get the car as I like it, as I wanted to have it and I’m sure once… we’re making some stuff for me, so hopefully once we get those it will get a bit more easy to get a bit more feeling in the front end.”

Raikkonen is chasing a third win in Malaysia this weekend, having claimed his first Formula 1 victory at Sepang back in 2003 with McLaren.

Kanaan, Dixon to rejoin Chip Ganassi Le Mans effort

Photo: Getty Images
Leave a comment

Both Scott Dixon and Tony Kanaan will be rejoining Ford Chip Ganassi Racing as part of their four-car armada at the 2018 24 Hours of Le Mans, the team revealed late last week. Both drivers contested the event last year, with Dixon in the No. 69 entry – finishing seventh in the GTE Pro class – while Kanaan replaced an injured Sebastien Bourdais in the No. 68 – finishing sixth in GTE Pro.

For Kanaan, this also represents a return to the Chip Ganassi organization, with which he contested the Verizon IndyCar Series from 2014 to 2017 before departing for A.J. Foyt Racing in 2018.

Kanaan will join Andy Priaulx and Harry Tincknell in the No. 67, while Dixon will reunite with Ryan Briscoe and Richard Westbrook, the three drivers having won the Rolex 24 at Daytona in January, in the No. 69.

Stefan Mücke, Olivier Pla, and Billy Johnson will share the No. 66 entry, with Joey Hand, Dirk Müller, and Sebastien Bourdais in the No. 68.

Follow@KyleMLavigne