F1 Grand Prix of Malaysia - Qualifying

Massa: No regrets over ignoring team orders (VIDEO)


Felipe Massa showed no signs of remorse or regret after ignoring team orders and refusing to allow teammate Valtteri Bottas to pass him during today’s Malaysian Grand Prix.

The Brazilian driver finished the race in seventh place, but he was given the call with five laps to go to allow Bottas past, as Williams believed that the Finn had a better chance than Massa of catching and passing Jenson Button for sixth.

Despite two calls over the radio, Massa refused to let him past, and explained to NBCSN’s Will Buxton after the race that it was the right thing to do.

“I will always try to do the best I can for the team,” he said. “I will carry on like that.”

This harked back to Ferrari’s infamous call for Massa to move aside during the 2010 German Grand Prix and hand the race victory to Fernando Alonso, which sparked fury in the Formula 1 world. However, the Brazilian driver does not see this as being a similar incident, and even laughed when the comparison was made.

The result did see Massa pick up his first points for Williams, having joined the team from Ferrari in the winter.

Report: Ecclestone believes F1 could be sold by year’s end

F1 Grand Prix of Germany
(Getty Images)
Leave a comment

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone on Tuesday said the racing series is up for sale and has as many as three potential buyers.

Ecclestone told The Associated Press that a deal could still be struck by year’s end.

“I think so, maybe this year,” Ecclestone said. “There are three people mentioned to buy. So it’s a case of whether CVC or Mr. Mackenzie wants to sell.”

Ecclestone was referring to F1’s largest and controlling shareholder, CVC Capital Partners co-chairman Donald Mackenzie.

But even if F1 is sold, the 84-year-old Eccelstone doesn’t plan on going anywhere.

“The people that I’ve spoken to … have asked me if I would stay,” Ecclestone told AP.

Follow @JerryBonkowski

IndyCar: Andretti, Hunter-Reay, Hinchcliffe test at Mid-Ohio

TORONTO, ON - JULY 19:  Marco Andretti driver of the #25 Andretti Autosport Dallara Honda stands on pit wall prior to qualifying for the Verizon IndyCar Series Honda Indy Toronto on the Streets of Toronto on July 19, 2014 in Toronto, Canada.  (Photo by Chris Trotman/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Monday was IndyCar team owner Michael Andretti’s 53rd birthday and son Marco was nowhere to be found – but with good reason.

The younger Andretti and Andretti Autosport teammate Ryan Hunter-Reay were both testing at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course near Lexington, Ohio.

Also taking part in the test was Schmidt Peterson Motorsport’s James Hinchcliffe.

It was Hinchcliffe’s second successful test since recovering from his horrific crash during practice for this year’s Indianapolis 500 in May.

Hinchcliffe’s first test was last week at Road America in Wisconsin.

Monday’s test session was not open to the public or media, but a Honda source told Motorsportstalk that drivers and teams reportedly focused on testing aerodynamics for the 2016 Verizon IndyCar Series season.

Follow @JerryBonkowski