Duck Commander 500 - Practice

After Sunday washout, NASCAR is on today’s lunch menu

Leave a comment

Yesterday’s rain-induced postponement of the Duck Commander 500 has made for a mid-day matinee at Texas Motor Speedway. The 334-lap, 501-mile race is set to go off shortly after Noon ET.

From what we’re seeing from reporters at Fort Worth, pre-race ceremonies will be pared down considerably. Per NASCAR, the green flag will drop at 12:09 p.m. ET.

Today’s forecast is looking better, with a reduced chance of rain – about 30 percent – after 2 p.m. local time. Mostly clouds skies are predicted with the temperature reaching the mid-60s.

Tony Stewart earned his 15th career Sprint Cup pole on Saturday and will be joined on the front row by Brad Keselowski. Stewart’s teammate and new track record holder Kevin Harvick starts third, followed by Greg Biffle, who’s always stout at TMS.

Bristol winner Carl Edwards rolls off fifth and next to him is our leading Toyota from Saturday qualifying, Denny Hamlin, in Row 3. Former Daytona 500 winner Trevor Bayne and Ryan Newman make up Row 4, while Marcos Ambrose and Joey Logano take the green from Row 5.

Last week’s winner at Martinsville, Kurt Busch, starts on the inside of Row 6. Other notables include Jimmie Johnson in 16th, current points leader Dale Earnhardt Jr. in 19th, and defending race champion Kyle Busch in 29th.

With all of the rubber having been washed off, teams may find the already hyper-fast 1.5-mile oval even quicker for a time before the track starts to “rubber up” again.

Also, keep in mind that teams will have a competition caution at Lap 30 to check on tire wear – which could be a key factor in today’s race.

For those unable to get away from work, we’ll have coverage for you throughout the afternoon here on MotorSportsTalk.

Sainz keen to race in Russia; decision to be made on Sunday

xxxx during final practice for the Formula One Grand Prix of Russia at Sochi Autodrom on October 10, 2015 in Sochi, Russia.
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Carlos Sainz Jr. has been discharged from hospital in Sochi following his practice accident, and is now hoping to take part in tomorrow’s Russian Grand Prix.

Sainz crashed at turn 13 with considerable force during final practice on Saturday, pitching underneath the TecPro barrier that made extracting him from the car difficult.

After 20 minutes, the rescue staff on site were able to remove Sainz from the car before transporting him in an ambulance to the medical centre.

Sainz gave a thumbs up to fans on the way there, and tweeted from hospital that he was unharmed after undergoing a number of checks.

In a statement issued by Toro Rosso after qualifying on Saturday, it was confirmed that Sainz had been discharged from hospital. The Spaniard has now set his sights on starting tomorrow’s race.

“My back and my neck are just a bit sore from the accident, but I’m totally ready,” Sainz said. “Hopefully tomorrow I will wake up in a good shape and maybe I can try and race – this is definitely the intention!

“Obviously we need to be cautious. I’ve always been conscious. As soon as the accident happened I tried to talk to the team on the radio, but it wasn’t working and those must have been some scary moments.

“I’d like to thank everyone for their support, it’s really nice to receive all your messages at a moment like this one! I hope to see you all tomorrow out there!”

Team principal Franz Tost confirmed that a decision will be made on Sainz’s participation following further medical checks on Sunday before clarifying the suspected cause of the accident.

“I’m very happy that Carlos is okay and out of hospital, this is the most important thing for us,” Tost said. “I hope he will have a good night’s sleep and tomorrow morning he will have to go through the FIA medical checks to decide if he will be able to take part in tomorrow’s race.

“Now, just to clarify what happened. Prior to the accident, Carlos had completed a long-run on the option tire, before changing to the prime to do two further laps. On primes the grip level is lower.

“In addition he had changed the brake shape on the steering wheel, which meant he had more braking rearwards. A combination of these two factors might have been the cause of the rears locking, which made the car uncontrollable.”

Should Sainz be deemed fit by the FIA medical delegate, he will have to start the race from the pit lane.

The Russian Grand Prix is live on NBCSN and Live Extra from 6:30am ET on Sunday.

Hamilton unsure about Mercedes’ race pace in Russia

xxxx during qualifying for the Formula One Grand Prix of Russia at Sochi Autodrom on October 10, 2015 in Sochi, Russia.
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Lewis Hamilton remains unsure about Mercedes’ race pace after losing the majority of practice running to a number of incidents on Friday and Saturday.

The entire field was limited to just one hour of dry running on Friday when a diesel spillage caused the session to be shortened.

Heavy rain washed out FP2, and FP3 was red flagged after 35 minutes when Carlos Sainz Jr. crashed hard at turn 13.

Mercedes showed few signs of weakness in qualifying, though, as it locked out the front row of the grid with Nico Rosberg scoring his third pole position of the season.

Hamilton admitted that he made a mistake on his final lap in Q3, but is unsure how Mercedes will shape up in the race compared to the rest of the field.

“Everyone was in the same position today with the limited practice,” Hamilton said. “I didn’t get a hooked-up lap together but Nico did, so well done to him.

“It’s going to be a long race tomorrow though, so hopefully I might have a chance. There’s a long run down to turn two, so we’ll both be studying the line to take tonight. Maybe I can get a good start, we’ll see.

“We haven’t done a lot of laps, so I’m not really sure what our pace is like compared to the others. Our goal in the race as always is to finish well for the team, so we’ll be trying to do that.”

The Russian Grand Prix is live on NBCSN and Live Extra from 6:30am ET on Sunday.