NASCAR Hall of Famer Bud Moore is recovering after suffering a mild heart attack over the weekend. (Photo courtesy

NASCAR Hall of Fame team owner Bud Moore, 88, recovering from mild heart attack

1 Comment

NASCAR Hall of Fame member Walter “Bud” Moore is recovering after suffering a mild heart attack over the weekend.

According to The Charlotte Observer, Moore, 88, is recovering in a hospital near his lifelong home in Spartanburg, S.C.

“He had a procedure done and is doing fine,” Winston Kelley, executive director of the NASCAR Hall of Fame, told the Observer. “He will be in the hospital a few days and is expected to be released later this week.”

Moore, who received several honors for his service in World War II, was inducted into the Hall of Fame in its second class in 2011.

He was inducted for his success as a NASCAR team owner and crew chief. Most of his cars were either Pontiac- or Ford-powered and carried the number 15.

Moore spent 37 years as a team owner. In 37 seasons, he and his drivers compiled 63 wins, 298 top-fives, 463 top-10s (nearly half of the 958 total races his teams entered), 43 poles and three NASCAR Grand National championships.

Buck Baker won the Grand National championship in 1957 with Moore as his crew chief.

Buck’s son, Buddy, also raced for Moore and won three straight races at Talladega in 1975 and 1976.

Switching to a team owner in 1961, Moore had almost instantaneous success, particularly with driver Joe Weatherly, who won eight races for Moore in 1961 and then came back to win the 1962 and 1963 Grand National championships.

Tiny Lund won the Grand American division championship racing for Moore in 1968.

Moore expanded his ownership reach past NASCAR and in 1970 owned the team that Parnelli Jones won the Sports Car Club of America Trans-Am championship.

Bobby Allison won the 1978 Daytona 500 with Moore as the team owner.

Other drivers that drove for Moore in his career included the late Fireball Roberts, the late Dale Earnhardt, Darrell Waltrip, Cale Yarborough, David Pearson, Ricky Rudd and Geoff and Brett Bodine.

Moore’s last full season as a team owner was in 1996 with Wally Dallenbach Jr., but he entered seven other races over the next five years before eventually retiring in 2000 and selling his entire operation.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski


Status targets 2016 GP2 title after GP3 exit

2015 GP2 Series Round 8.
Autodromo di Monza, Italy.
Sunday 6 September 2015.
Marlon Stockinger (PHL, Status Grand Prix) 
Photo: Sam Bloxham/GP2 Series Media Service.
ref: Digital Image _G7C2088
© GP2 Series
Leave a comment

Status Grand Prix has set its sights on winning the 2016 GP2 Series championship following its decision to close down its GP3 team at the end of the current season.

Earlier this week, GP3 issued a statement confirming its team roster for the next three seasons that featured new entries from DAMS and Virtuosi Racing.

However, both Carlin and Status did not appear on the list, signalling that both had opted to leave GP3 at the end of 2015.

Status first entered GP3 back in 2010, but only set up a GP2 team in 2015 after taking over the old Caterham Racing operation.

This will now become the main focus for the Irish outfit, though, as explained by team boss Teddy Yip Jr. earlier this week.

“Status Grand Prix has not renewed entry into the GP3 Series from 2016 onwards in order to maximize focus on our GP2 campaign,” Yip said.

“Having finished second in the team championship in the inaugural GP3 Series, we have enjoyed six successful years in the category collecting nine race wins, 26 podium finishes and vying for numerous team and driver titles.

“We are very proud to have given opportunities and achieved success with drivers such as Robert Wickens, Antonio Felix da Costa, Alexander Sims and our current GP2 race winner, Richie Stanaway.

“We now look forward to finishing the 2015 GP2 and GP3 seasons on a high before mounting a robust GP2 title campaign in 2016.”

Both GP2 and GP3 return from a one-month break next weekend in support of the Formula 1 Russian Grand Prix.

Hakkinen: Verstappen is already “a real pro”

during a media interview at the Shanghai Grand Theatre prior to the 2015 Laureus World Sports Awards on April 15, 2015 in Shanghai, China.
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Two-time Formula 1 world champion Mika Hakkinen has heaped praise upon Toro Rosso rookie Max Verstappen, supporting his decision to ignore team orders during last month’s Singapore Grand Prix.

Verstappen only turned 18 on Wednesday, but has already made a big impression on the F1 world during his first 14 races with his aggressive driving style and mature approach to racing.

In Singapore, Verstappen was told by Toro Rosso to let faster teammate Carlos Sainz Jr. go past, but refused to give up his position and eventually beat the Spaniard to finish eighth.

Writing in his Hermes blog, Hakkinen backed Verstappen’s decision to stay ahead and praised the Dutchman for his performances so far this season.

“A driver must be alert and keep track of what is happening around him at all times,” Hakkinen wrote. “That’s what Verstappen is. He does not simply let anyone pass if it’s not for the world championship, but only a few championship points.

“Verstappen is 18 years old, but the guy’s already a real pro. Young people are developing incredibly fast nowadays, and by that I don’t mean just drivers.”

Despite having more than half a season of F1 racing under his belt, Verstappen only gained his road driver’s license on his 18th birthday, having previously been under the age limit to drive a regular car in public.