3-time NHRA Top Fuel champ Larry Dixon back in the saddle again, to race for Bob Vandergriff Jr.

Leave a comment

It’s almost a crime when a three-time champion is forced to sit on the sidelines and watch all his buddies racing except him.

That was the case for three-time National Hot Rod Association champion (2002, 2003 and 2010) Larry Dixon heading into the 2014 Mello Yello Drag Racing Series season.

Having parted ways last July with Rapisarda Autosport International, Dixon was not picked up by another team for either the remainder of 2013 or the start of 2014.

But after the first five races of the 2014 season, Dixon will be back in the saddle in two weeks at the O’Reilly Auto Parts Spring Nationals at Royal Purple Raceway in Houston, Texas.

Dixon will drive a second dragster for Bob Vandergriff Jr. Racing. Vandergriff is defending Top Fuel winner at Houston.

“To say I’m thrilled to have BVR give me a shot to drive their second car would be an understatement,” Dixon said in an NHRA news release. “I appreciate the opportunity that BVR, Casedhole Solutions and Total Equipment And Service has shown me. It is a quality car with a talented group crewing on it. I’ll do everything I can on and off the track to help make this effort successful. Hopefully, an all BVR final is right around the corner.”

Dixon’s deal with Vandergriff is for a 10-race schedule over the remaining 18 races of the NHRA national event season.

“I’m excited to have Larry on board,” Vandergriff said. “He is a great driver and a family man who will fit in with our program perfectly.

“Anytime you can add a three-time champion to your program, it enhances the value proposition we are trying to build at BVR.”

Since he first earned his Top Fuel license in 1994, Dixon has won 62 races and reached the final round 108 times. He’s previously driven for Don Prudhomme, Al-Anabi Racing and Rapisarda Autosport.

Dixon’s car will be sponsored by Casedhole Solutions and Total Equipment and Service (T.E.A.S.).

Follow me @JerryBonkowski


Newgarden fastest as Castroneves returns in weather-shortened Barber test

Photo: IndyCar
1 Comment

The Verizon IndyCar Series took to Barber Motorsports Park on Tuesday for an open test, with 24 entries tackling the 2.38-mile road course.

Weather intervened in the afternoon, preventing nearly the entire field from going out, but the weather held off during the morning enough for one session to be run in its entirety.

Team Penske’s Josef Newgarden led the way, with a quick lap of 1:07.979, ahead of Team Penske teammates Will Power and Helio Castroneves. For Castroneves, this marked his first IndyCar outing of 2018.

Helio Castroneves was back in an IndyCar on Tuesday at Barber Motorsports Park. Photo: IndyCar

Sporting the Pennzoil “yellow submarine” paint scheme, Castroneves turned 41 laps around Barber in the morning session, with a quick lap of 1:08.315. He was also the only driver to venture out on track in the afternoon, completing eight laps.

The Dale Coyne Racing duo of Sebastien Bourdais and Zachary Claman De Melo completed the top five.

Results are below.