Mallya urges teams to deal with new rules

1 Comment

Force India team owner Vijay Mallya has urged his rivals in Formula 1 to stop lodging complaints and moaning about the new regulations for the 2014 season and simply accept the decisions taken by the FIA.

Following the change from V8 to turbocharged V6 engines, as well as a number of other alterations to the technical, there has been an outcry from many of the technical directors and designers in Formula 1. Red Bull’s Adrian Newey has made no secret of his distaste of the new regulations, whilst in Bahrain Bernie Ecclestone and Luca di Montezemolo met to discuss how to fix the “taxi driver” racing that was due for 2014 in the Ferrari president’s eyes.

Of course, what happened on track was anything but taxi driver racing.

Speaking to veteran journalist Adam Cooper, Mallya was unsympathetic for his rival’s gripes.

“An FIA World Council decision is an FIA World Council decision,” he explained. “Everybody has accepted it, the investments have been made, the engines are running. What is there to comment on now?

“Everybody has their own opinions. In this sport unfortunately the teams can’t stick together and have one voice, so it’s something that one has got used to, that everyone has his own opinion.”

Mallya was faced with a similar problem last year when some teams successfully lobbied for a change in the construction of the Pirelli tires. After this change for the German Grand Prix, Force India’s form immediately nosedived whilst Red Bull and Sauber found pace.

“We could have complained last year when after Silverstone Pirelli changed the tyres,” Mallya said. “I could have moaned and groaned every day, and said the team’s performance has been compromised. But where does it get me? Nowhere.”

Mallya’s attitude is certainly a refreshing one, but it must be noted that none of the Mercedes-powered teams (including Force India) have raised too many problems with the regulations. Instead, those who have struggled off of the back of last season – namely Red Bull and Ferrari – have raised concerns.

Williams confirms Kubica and Sirotkin for Abu Dhabi F1 test

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Williams has confirmed that Robert Kubica will enjoy his third Formula 1 test outing with the team at the end-of-season running in Abu Dhabi next week as rumors grow regarding a possible race seat for 2018.

Almost seven years after his last F1 start, Kubica’s remarkable return from severe injuries sustained in a rally accident saw him enjoy two private tests with Renault before completing running with the team in a 2017-spec car in Hungary over the summer.

Reservations over Kubica’s capabilities prompted Renault to pass on giving him a seat, instead opting to hire Carlos Sainz Jr. for next year, only for Williams to become an alternative for the Pole.

Kubica tested a 2014-spec Williams at both Silverstone and the Hungaroring in recent months, and will now sample a 2017 car when he tests at Abu Dhabi’s Yas Marina Circuit next Tuesday and Wednesday.

Kubica will share track time with regular Williams racer Lance Stroll and Russian youngster Sergey Sirotkin, who has worked with Renault over the past two years but also missed out on a 2018 seat.

“Williams Martini Racing is pleased to confirm it will run Robert Kubica and Sergey Sirotkin for the Abu Dhabi Pirelli tire test, alongside current race driver Lance Stroll,” a statement from the team reads.

“The Pirelli tire test will take place over two days at the Yas Marina circuit during the week following the 2017 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

“On day one Robert Kubica will drive the FW40 in the morning session, before Lance Stroll takes over in the afternoon.

“On day two Sergey Sirotkin will drive in the morning and afternoon sessions before handing over to Robert in the late afternoon.

“The test is aimed at evaluating 2018 candidate tires on behalf of the Formula 1 tire supplier Pirelli.

“Williams is excited to have this opportunity to assess the new tyres across such an interesting range of drivers: Lance, as confirmed race driver for 2018, Robert with his huge experience, and Sergey as a very promising young talent in Formula 1.”

Williams denied earlier this week it has signed Kubica to partner Stroll for 2018, but indications are the deal looks very likely to go ahead, subject to the relevant paperwork and contracts being finalized.