Perez nearly quit Formula 1 after McLaren sacking

1 Comment

Sergio Perez was one of the star performers at last Sunday’s Bahrain Grand Prix, storming to finish in third place after seeing off the challenges of teammate Nico Hulkenberg, Felipe Massa, Valtteri Bottas and Daniel Ricciardo. The result marked just the second ever podium finish in Force India’s history, with the first coming almost five years ago.

However, it wouldn’t have happened had he quit Formula 1 at the end of 2013 after being sacked by McLaren.

The Mexican driver rose to fame in the sport back in 2012 after claiming three podium finishes with Sauber, and coming close to winning the Malaysian Grand Prix behind Fernando Alonso. After Lewis Hamilton confirmed that he would be leaving McLaren in favor of a switch to Mercedes, the British team quickly snapped Perez up as his replacement.

But 2013 was a year from hell for McLaren. The MP4-28 car was well off the pace, meaning that both Perez and teammate Jenson Button could not reach the podium across the entire season. The Mexican was still ousted in favor of Danish youngster Kevin Magnussen. Before finding refuge at Force India for 2014, Perez nearly quit the sport altogether.

“When the McLaren decision came I was really frustrated with how things went,” Perez explained to Autosport. “I said to myself it isn’t for me. I was not willing to just go to anything.

“I really wanted to find the thing that motivated me to stay in F1 because otherwise I was willing to look for other options.

“But when the Force India came it was a straight forward decision, and we managed to do a deal.”

Perez’s career did appear to be in the lurch after being dropped by McLaren. Despite finding the seat at Force India, there were still a few question marks about his future. Is he the same driver that was at Sauber in 2012, dragging the C31 to three podiums? Or is this still the tame racer that we saw in 2013?

After two luckless races in Australia and Malaysia (the latter he failed to even start), Perez proved last Sunday that he still has the fire to fight at the very front. Moving up to the big time with McLaren so quickly appeared to go to his head a little bit, but with Force India, he finally appears to have found a more comfortable grounding in the sport.

Consider this: he was only one silver crash away from a race win…

Marco Andretti confident that fewer tests won’t hurt Andretti Autosport

Photo: IndyCar
Leave a comment

A small point of debate around the 2018 aero kit has been the manufacturer test days that took place through the Fall of 2017 and into the beginning of 2018. Chiefly, the debate has centered around teams who hadn’t participated in those manufacturer test days and if they’re starting the 2018 Verizon IndyCar Series season at a disadvantage as a result.

Team Penske, Ed Carpenter Racing, and A.J. Foyt Racing completed test days for Chevrolet, with Schmidt Peterson Motorsports and Chip Ganassi Racing doing so for Honda.

That left teams like Andretti Autosport out of the mix, with some voicing concerns as a result.

However, in a press conference during testing at ISM Raceway last weekend, Marco Andretti explained that he thinks Andretti Autosport should be able to catch up on development, citing the team’s resources – they’re the only IndyCar team with four full-time cars in their stable – and the fact that everyone is still adapting to the new kit.

“I feel like it’s early enough days that, yes, we can catch up,” Andretti said at ISM Raceway. “When there is anything new, a new car, new aero kit, at-track days are huge. We can sim all these things we want. To really get out there and confirm what we’re learning back at the shop is another thing.”

Ryan Hunter-Reay during testing at ISM Raceway. Photo: IndyCar

Andretti continued, “Yeah, I don’t think we should look at it like we’re behind the eight ball. With a four-car team, that’s where we can use it to our benefit. So far so good.”

Teammate Ryan Hunter-Reay, echoed Andretti’s sentiments, adding that while the situation is not perfect, they will need to adapt to it in order to remain competitive.

“Any time you have a new car, to put it into perspective, we’re on track three days on a road course before we get to (the season open in St. Petersburg). That’s a very short amount of time. It’s obviously not ideal, but we’re just going to lace up our boots and get on with it. That’s all you can do.”

Andretti Autosport will have one more team test, at Sebring International Raceway later on in February, before the season-opening Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg.

Follow@KyleMLavigne