Giedo van der Garde to replace Sutil for FP1 in China

Leave a comment

Sauber test driver Giedo van der Garde is set to get his second practice run-out of the season at next weekend’s Chinese Grand Prix when he replaces Adrian Sutil during the first Friday session.

The Dutchman joined Sauber at the beginning of the season after being dropped by Caterham, and has set his sights on a full-time drive with the team in 2015. He first got behind the wheel of the Sauber C33 during practice at the last race in Bahrain, where he replaced Esteban Gutierrez for FP1 and finished just three-tenths of a second behind Adrian Sutil.

Next week, van der Garde will replace Sutil for the session, having also ran at the in-season test in Bahrain earlier this week.

The team is also set to bring a number of upgrades to the race in Shanghai after a disastrous start to the season that has yielded zero points and a number of DNFs.

“The team keeps working relentlessly to get on top of the performance limitations that so far have not allowed us to race where we want to,” head of track engineering Giampaolo Dall’Ara explained. “We look forward to the Chinese Grand Prix as the next step, thanks to a number of updates we’ll be introducing and more track experience we gathered during the Bahrain test.”

After such a poor start to 2014, the pressure will undoubtedly be on Gutierrez and Sutil as three drivers are already eyeing up their seats for next season. van der Garde has a strong case after an impressive debut season with Caterham, but Russian youngster Sergey Sirotkin is also keen on claiming a seat after finally securing his FIA superlicense in Bahrain earlier this week.

Finally, former IndyCar driver Simona de Silvestro is also in the running for a seat after having a fitting earlier this week. She is set to test Sauber’s 2012 car at Fiorano in the coming weeks as part of her preparation for a full-time drive.

‘No desire’ for Lewis Hamilton to race in Indianapolis 500

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Lewis Hamilton has ruled out a future appearance in the Indianapolis 500, saying he has “no real plans” to do any serious racing once his time in Formula 1 is over.

Former teammate and current McLaren driver Fernando Alonso took part in the 101st running of the Indy 500 in May, qualifying fifth and running high up the order before retiring late on with an engine issue.

The F1-to-IndyCar crossover proved to be one of the biggest motorsport stories of the year, and has stirred the imagination of other drivers to make a similar step into other events in the future, including the 24 Hours of Le Mans which is known to be on Alonso’s radar as well as that of Haas racer Romain Grosjean.

Three-time F1 world champion Hamilton admired 2017 Indy 500 winner Takuma Sato’s victory ring when on the podium at the Japanese Grand Prix earlier this month, trying it on and joking it may spur him to enter the race to try and win the jewelry.

Speaking ahead of this weekend’s United States Grand Prix in Austin, Texas, Hamilton stressed he made the comment in jest, saying he holds not interest in entering the ‘500.

“Honestly it hasn’t inspired me to do the Indy 500,” Hamilton said.

“I’ve always respected it and appreciated it. I got to watch part of it when Fernando did it which I thought was super exciting. I love the idea of drivers being able to do more than one series.

“Just the other day I got to drive an F1 car on an oval circuit which was interesting. I have a huge amount of respect for those drivers as it is quite scary approaching those banks at the speeds that they do.

“I personally don’t have a desire to drive it. Maybe one day I will go out and have some fun.

“I have a lot of opportunities to do those kinds of things, but no real plans to do anything serious.”

Hamilton has previously said he would like to try a NASCAR race for fun one day, but has made clear his plan after his F1 career is over is to distance himself from racing in order to pursue other interests.