IndyCar Testing Pocono Auto Racing

Andretti: Ferrari’s struggles could force Alonso away


1978 Formula 1 world champion and American racing legend Mario Andretti believes that Fernando Alonso could walk away from Ferrari if the team does not improve quickly after yet another difficult start to the season in 2014.

Two-time champion Alonso joined Ferrari in 2010 in a move that was supposed to take both driver and team back to their glory days. However, despite finishing as the championship runner-up on three occasions, Alonso has failed to enjoy the same kind of success with the team that he did with Renault. The car that has come out of Maranello since 2008 has rarely been the quickest on the grid, and Andretti believes that this could be enough to force the Spaniard to leave.

“Ferrari cannot be fighting for the final point,” he told “It’s not good for Ferrari and it’s not good for Formula 1. They need to be up front. But they know it.

“You can tell that everyone is frustrated, beginning with Luca di Montezemolo. I think the drivers are using every bit of restraint not to express themselves.”

For Andretti, Alonso is in a race against time. At the age of 32, he might be entering the final five years of his career, and a move away from Ferrari may be necessary if he is to add to his pair of championships.

“He’s still at the top of his game and he cannot afford to lose too many seasons,” Andretti said. “So I’m sure if the proper opportunity comes up he’ll consider it.

“When Lewis made the decision to go to Mercedes, lots of people were saying, ‘What the hell is he thinking?’ But look at what has happened. You never know what the next opportunity could be at the very top.”

The speculation surrounding Alonso’s future has been rife since the middle of last summer, when he joked that he wanted a Red Bull car for his birthday. In Singapore last year, Martin Whitmarsh suggested that McLaren would be interested in signing Alonso should be become available, but with a clear succession plan featuring Kevin Magnussen and Stoffel Vandoorne, it is difficult to see a place for him at Woking. Also, there might still be some scars from the dispute in 2007 that saw Alonso leave the team after just a single season.

That said, his enormous ability might be too big a lure for McLaren to refuse. All the while, Alonso remains adamant that he will see out his career with Ferrari, but it remains to be seen whether he stays true to his word in the face of another difficult year.

Sainz uninjured, but to remain in hospital overnight

Leave a comment

Carlos Sainz Jr. will remain in hospital overnight following a terrifying crash during practice for the Russian Grand Prix on Saturday morning.

Sainz slammed into the wall at turn 13 after losing control of his car, pitching in underneath the TecPro barrier at the end of the run-off area.

Medical crews spent 20 minutes extricating Sainz from his car due to the barriers’ placement before he was taken away to hospital for a check-up.

Sainz tweeted a picture to his followers confirming that he was okay, and Toro Rosso has now released a second statement confirming that the Spaniard was fully conscious throughout the crash and is uninjured.

“After arriving at the Sochi Hospital 4, Carlos Sainz, who never lost consciousness, underwent a medical examination, including a full body scan,” the statement reads. “The scan showed that the driver has no injuries.

“However, he will be staying in the hospital overnight as a precautionary measure, which is the normal procedure in these circumstances.

“We will release further information when it is available.”

Sainz tweeted that he was hoping to convince the doctors to release him from hospital early enough so that he could take part in tomorrow’s race, but any steps taken will be with his well-being in mind.

Rosberg charges to Russian GP pole in Sochi

Leave a comment

Nico Rosberg will start tomorrow’s Russian Grand Prix from pole position after topping the timesheets in Saturday’s qualifying session at the Sochi Autodrom.

Rosberg posted a fastest lap time of 1:37.113 to edge out Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton by three-tenths of a second to score pole position in Russia.

Following on from its dominant display in Japan two weeks ago, Mercedes showed few signs of easing up at the front of the field as it stormed to another front-row lock-out.

Having traded fastest lap times throughout the earlier stages of qualifying, Hamilton and Rosberg renewed their battle in Q3 at Sochi, but it was Rosberg who finished on top.

Rosberg drew early blood in Q3 by going three-tenths faster than his teammate on his first run, and when Hamilton locked up late on and opted to pit, pole was safely with the German driver.

Valtteri Bottas finished as the best of the rest in third place, beating the Ferrari duo of Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen who finished fifth and sixth respectively as all of the drivers struggled to improve on their second runs.

Nico Hulkenberg and Force India teammate Sergio Perez will start sixth and seventh, while Romain Grosjean qualified eighth. Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo rounded out the top ten in P9 and P10 respectively.

Home favorite Daniil Kvyat was unable to delight the local fans as he would have liked to in qualifying, dropping out in Q2 by finishing 11th ahead of Felipe Nasr. Pastor Maldonado was also eliminated, finishing 14th, but it was Felipe Massa who was the biggest casualty of the second session, ending up 15th for Williams.

McLaren experienced something of a mixed qualifying session on Saturday as Fernando Alonso was knocked out at the end of Q1. Teammate Jenson Button managed to improve late on to dump the Spaniard out and leave him 16th overall, while the Briton went on to finish 13th in Q2.

Sauber’s Marcus Ericsson also dropped out at the first hurdle alongside the two Manor drivers, while Carlos Sainz Jr. took no part in the session following his practice crash. The Spaniard still hopes to take part in tomorrow’s race, but will remain in hospital overnight.