NASCAR team owner Jack Roush talks possible Cup engine changes

3 Comments

With NASCAR indicating that it will make engine modifications for the Sprint Cup Series sometime in the future – which could involve a reduction in horsepower – one of the series’ most prominent team owners has an idea on how the sanctioning body should do it.

Jack Roush, owner of Roush Fenway Racing, told NASCAR.com that the modifications should include “a restriction on the intake side” that doesn’t involve restrictor plates, such as a reduction of the throttle bore size.

“[It is] straightforward and it is easily reversible if you decided that the quality of the racing was hurt by it,” Roush said. “If they want to take 100 horsepower off, reduce horsepower significantly, the least expensive and most palatable way to do that is with a restriction on the intake side.”

Roush also hoped that NASCAR would take the costs incurred upon the teams into account as they go about making the changes, saying that his and other teams can only afford to change so much at a time.

However, Roush feels like the sanctioning body could ultimately wind up simply reducing the RPM on the engine and add a requirement that engines must be used for two races apiece.

“By reducing the RPM, you reduce the power available for the car without changing its restriction or changing its displacement,” he said. “By making the requirement that an engine be run twice before it was subject to rebuild, we would have that opportunity to reduce costs to the teams.”

NASCAR CEO Brian France first indicated earlier this month that engine changes would come sometime within the next two seasons.

Shortly afterwards, Dale Earnhardt Jr. declared that a horsepower drop was inevitable and also, his hope that the engine would be smaller to preserve throttle response from the cockpit.

Lewis Hamilton comes home to Mercedes factory after fourth title

Getty Images
Leave a comment

On Monday, the Formula 1 schedule finally allowed teams to be in Europe before heading to Abu Dhabi for this weekend’s season finale.

And as such, that provided a window for now four-time World Champion Lewis Hamilton to return to the Mercedes AMG Petronas factories in Brackley and Brixworth to be celebrated for taking the driver’s title, as Hamilton an Valtteri Bottas delivered Mercedes its fourth straight constructor’s title.

Hamilton was at Brixworth, the home ofΒ Mercedes-AMG High Performance Powertrains (HPP) and its highly successful Mercedes-Benz Power Units first before heading to Brackley, where he was welcomed with a “guard of honor” as the entire team came out to greet him.

The champion was overwhelmed at the response and the welcome.

“This a very emotional day. I was not expecting this, thanks everyone for the warm welcome,” he said. “Today is something that I will never forget, turning up at the front gate of the factory and seeing everyone out on the street to welcome me – I’m blown away.

“This has been an incredible year, it’s been an incredible journey together. There’s a huge amount of respect and appreciation I have for everyone. I’ve been in the sport for a long time now, but to see the work ethic in Brixworth and Brackley really inspires me. Every time I come around, I see everyone operating at 100%, which encourages me to bring my best performance.

“Thank you all for helping me achieve my dreams, it would not have been possible without you. This is the best championship year, because we’ve been fighting another team and because we’ve had the difficulties and challenges we’ve had – that just makes it so much greater.”

A social roundup of images and videos are below, all via Hamilton and the Mercedes team on social media.