F1 Grand Prix of China

Alonso scores Ferrari’s first podium finish of 2014


After a difficult week that saw team principal Stefano Domenicali resign on Monday, Fernando Alonso has brought the Ferrari team some joy by scoring its first podium finish of the season today in China.

The Spanish driver made a great start from fifth place, and was running in second after passing both of the Red Bull drivers and Mercedes’ Nico Rosberg. However, during his final stint, Rosberg managed to close and pass Alonso with relative ease thanks to the superior straight line speed of the Mercedes W05 car. Nevertheless, he was delighted with P3 after such a poor start to the season.

“It was a good weekend,” Alonso said on the podium after the race. “We did improve the car a little bit compared to the first three races, so we felt more competitive.

“Being here on the podium is a nice surprise for us, a nice surprise finally. Yeah, with podium finish today, I’m third in the drivers’ championship behind these two guys [Rosberg and Hamilton]. We didn’t have the start to the season we would have liked, but at the end of the day we’re still in the fight.”

Alonso’s race nearly ended at the first corner after he was tagged by Williams’ Felipe Massa. Despite a big side-swipe, both cars managed to continue, but Alonso was concerned about any possible damage.

“It was a big contact,” he said. “I asked on the radio “can you check the car?” It felt okay but obviously I don’t know from the outside how it looks. It was okay, and we were very lucky to finish the race. Hopefully next time it will be a cleaner start.”

The Spaniard finished over 50 seconds ahead of teammate Kimi Raikkonen, and certainly appears to be more at ease with the F14 T car than he had in the first three rounds of the season.

Ferrari will be hoping for another good result at Alonso’s home race, the Spanish Grand Prix, in three weeks’ time.

Report: Ecclestone believes F1 could be sold by year’s end

F1 Grand Prix of Germany
(Getty Images)
Leave a comment

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone on Tuesday said the racing series is up for sale and has as many as three potential buyers.

Ecclestone told The Associated Press that a deal could still be struck by year’s end.

“I think so, maybe this year,” Ecclestone said. “There are three people mentioned to buy. So it’s a case of whether CVC or Mr. Mackenzie wants to sell.”

Ecclestone was referring to F1’s largest and controlling shareholder, CVC Capital Partners co-chairman Donald Mackenzie.

But even if F1 is sold, the 84-year-old Eccelstone doesn’t plan on going anywhere.

“The people that I’ve spoken to … have asked me if I would stay,” Ecclestone told AP.

Follow @JerryBonkowski

IndyCar: Andretti, Hunter-Reay, Hinchcliffe test at Mid-Ohio

TORONTO, ON - JULY 19:  Marco Andretti driver of the #25 Andretti Autosport Dallara Honda stands on pit wall prior to qualifying for the Verizon IndyCar Series Honda Indy Toronto on the Streets of Toronto on July 19, 2014 in Toronto, Canada.  (Photo by Chris Trotman/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Monday was IndyCar team owner Michael Andretti’s 53rd birthday and son Marco was nowhere to be found – but with good reason.

The younger Andretti and Andretti Autosport teammate Ryan Hunter-Reay were both testing at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course near Lexington, Ohio.

Also taking part in the test was Schmidt Peterson Motorsport’s James Hinchcliffe.

It was Hinchcliffe’s second successful test since recovering from his horrific crash during practice for this year’s Indianapolis 500 in May.

Hinchcliffe’s first test was last week at Road America in Wisconsin.

Monday’s test session was not open to the public or media, but a Honda source told Motorsportstalk that drivers and teams reportedly focused on testing aerodynamics for the 2016 Verizon IndyCar Series season.

Follow @JerryBonkowski