Chinese GP called two laps early after checkered flag mix-up

5 Comments

The FIA has confirmed that the official result for the Chinese Grand Prix came two laps before the end of the race after a mix-up with when the checkered flag was due to be waved.

The race was due to run – as it always has done – for 56 laps at the Shanghai International Circuit. However, for some reason, the checkered flag was waved at the end of lap 55.

Race leader Lewis Hamilton immediately radioed his Mercedes team to ask why it had been shown early, but they told him to continue pushing and ignore it. The live timing from FOM and TV graphics also did not take it into account, suggesting that it was simply a misjudgement.

However, the FIA has since confirmed that this was – albeit accidentally – the official end of the race.

Result declared at end of Lap 54/56, in accordance with Article 43.2 of sporting regulations,” a note with the official result read. “Checkered flag was shown to leader at end of Lap 55.”

Article 43.2 reads: “Should for any reason the end-of-race signal be given before the leading car completes the scheduled number of laps, or the prescribed time has been completed, the race will be deemed to have finished when the leading car last crossed the line before the signal was given.”

Thankfully, there was just one change of position during the final two laps. Kamui Kobayashi and Jules Bianchi had been embroiled in a close battle for 17th place during the closing stages, and Kobayashi finally found a way past with two corners to go, securing the position for Caterham. However, this has now been reversed, with Bianchi being classified in 17th place ahead of Kobayashi.

Strangely, this is not the first time that there has been a mix-up with the checkered flag. At the 2002 Brazilian Grand Prix, national soccer legend Pele was busy chatting to the stewards when race winner Michael Schumacher crossed the line, and therefore failed to wave the flag when he was supposed to. Instead, it was waved at Jordan driver Takuma Sato, who was some two laps down on the leader.

Racing world reacts to Danica Patrick’s Daytona, Indy double news

Leave a comment

Here’s a sampling of quotes and social media reaction to Danica Patrick’s news announced earlier Friday that this would be her last full-time season as a driver, and that she’ll race in the Daytona 500 and Indianapolis 500 only in 2018.

This ends a full-time stretch in the top flights of NASCAR and IndyCar. She was in NASCAR from 2012 through 2017, and IndyCar from 2005 through 2011.

Her’s her own post on Twitter and Instagram.

Well…. 2018 Daytona 500 and Indy 500 here I come. 🙌🏼

A post shared by Danica Patrick (@danicapatrick) on

IMS President J. Douglas Boles

“We’re glad Danica plans to return to the Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil next May,” IMS President J. Douglas Boles said. “Her final career start will make what’s already shaping up to be a terrific Month of May even more interesting for our fans.

“It’s also fitting that Danica is wrapping up her career at the place and in the race where she became a household name and captured the world’s attention in 2005 – the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Indianapolis 500. We’re looking forward to seeing her back in an Indy car next May alongside all of the tremendous drivers of the Verizon IndyCar Series.”

NASCAR

INDYCAR