Hermie Sadler to promote new wrestling group in Denny Hamlin’s Short Track Showdown

Leave a comment

Hermie Sadler will never be confused with former wrestling greats Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin – not even Rik “Wooooo” Flair.

But the NASCAR analyst for Fox Sports 1 has been a longtime fan of wrestling and will now become somewhat of a decision maker, too.

According to Newsday, Sadler, who used to wrestle race cars on racetracks when he was a driver, has accepted an invitation to be part of a different kind of wrestling as a member of the board of directors of the new Global Force Wrestling series, expected to debut later this summer.

Having been friends with Sadler for two decades, former WWE and TNA star Jeff Jarrett – and if you’re wondering, no, there’s no relation to Dale Jarrett – knew Sadler was such a fan of the rasslin’ game that asking him to join GFW’s board was a no-brainer.

To celebrate and commemorate his involvement, when Sadler takes part and races in Thursday’s Denny Hamlin Short Track Showdown at South Boston (Va.) Speedway, his car will carry logos of GFW.

“(I’m) just trying to get the word out about the brand, and let as many people know that there’s another wrestling promotion that’s coming,” Sadler told Newsday.

Not only will he be promoting GFW at South Boston, Sadler will also be celebrating his 45th birthday there, where he and younger brother Elliott cut their racing teeth earlier in their respective racing careers.

Sadler believes in being hands-on, and while it’s likely he won’t climb into the ring, he hopes to eventually expand his involvement with GFW as an announcer and promoter, as he used to do on the TNA circuit.

“What I’d like to do is kind of like what I did with TNA a long time ago, maybe pick a territory and do some live events,” Sadler said.

Expected to be heavily dependent upon TV broadcasts, GFW is working with a heavyweight in that industry, 25/7 Productions, which is known for producing hit shows including “The Biggest Loser.”

Sadler has been a wrestling fan for more than 35 years, and still vividly remembers the first match he ever saw in person: Flair vs. Wahoo McDaniel in his hometown of Emporia, Va., when he was about 7 or 8 years old.

“I’m very, very lucky,” Sadler said about his involvement with GFW. “I get to do what I love [NASCAR] for a living, first of all.

“And then to get involved in another startup wrestling organization that’s going to bring together a lot of people and employ a lot of people and entertain a lot of people. So, I’m excited about that.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

BREAKING: John Force taken to hospital after Phoenix eliminations crash

Photo courtesy NHRA
Leave a comment

16-time NHRA Funny Car champ John Force has been taken to a local hospital for evaluation and examination following a wicked crash with fellow Funny Car driver Johnnie Lindberg.

The crash occurred during the quarterfinals of Sunday’s final eliminations in the NHRA Arizona Nationals at Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park in suburban Phoenix.

Force was headed for a win when the engine on his Peak Chevrolet Camaro blew up just as it crossed the finish line, destroying the body. Lindberg, meanwhile, lost traction about one-third of the way down-track, but then got back into the gas to try and catch Force.

Force appeared to lose control of the body-less car and went across from the left lane he was in to the right-hand lane, where he hit the retaining wall in front of Lindberg.

Lindberg tried to avoid Force, but couldn’t. To make matters worse, the body on Lindberg’s car then came off and Force’s and Lindberg’s cars got tangled up in Lindberg’s parachute, sending both chassis’ into the left retaining wall.

Lindberg emerged from his Funny Car under his own power and was checked at the medical center before heading back to his pit.

Force, meanwhile, was helped out of his mangled wreck by the NHRA Safety Safari and was transported by ambulance to the hospital due to the severity of the impact.

Even though Force will be credited with the round win, he obviously will not be able to continue for the remainder of the eliminations.

To add insult to injury, NHRA officials charged Force with oiling down the racetrack, his third of the season in just the first two races. That will cost him 15 points in the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series standings and a fine of $4,000.

Here are several posts from social media, including video of the incident from NHRA:

This is the second time Force has had an engine explode and the body blew off in the last two weeks. He also wrecked during the qualifying Feb. 9 for the season-opening Lucas Oil NHRA Winternationals in Pomona, California. Here’s the video of that wreck:

MORE: John Force taken to hospital as a precaution after Funny Car motor explodes.

We’ll update Force’s condition when it becomes available.

Follow @JerryBonkowski