Tax breaks for facility improvements such as Daytona Rising are once again under consideration by Congress. (Rendering courtesy Daytona International Speedway)

Report: Construction worker injured on Daytona grandstand project

1 Comment

The Daytona Beach News-Journal is reporting that a 43-year-old construction worker sustained a head injury over the weekend while working on the new grandstands at Daytona International Speedway.

Local fire officials told the N-J that the unidentified man had his head compressed between a steel beam and a scissor lift. He was working almost 100 feet above the ground on the third floor of the structure.

After being rescued by his co-workers, the man was immobilized and carried down to an ambulance by firefighters. He was transported to Halifax Health in “serious but stable condition.”

Per the paper, reports on the accident had the man both controlling and ascending the lift at the time.

Last year, renovations worth $400 million began for the “World Center of Racing,” which hosts the season-opening Daytona 500 and the Coke Zero 400 around the 4th of July.

The project, known as Daytona Rising, is scheduled to be completed in January of 2016 and is expected to transform DIS with a modernized grandstand that features wider seats, expanded concourses, and escalators.

Report: Ecclestone believes F1 could be sold by year’s end

F1 Grand Prix of Germany
(Getty Images)
Leave a comment

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone on Tuesday said the racing series is up for sale and has as many as three potential buyers.

Ecclestone told The Associated Press that a deal could still be struck by year’s end.

“I think so, maybe this year,” Ecclestone said. “There are three people mentioned to buy. So it’s a case of whether CVC or Mr. Mackenzie wants to sell.”

Ecclestone was referring to F1’s largest and controlling shareholder, CVC Capital Partners co-chairman Donald Mackenzie.

But even if F1 is sold, the 84-year-old Eccelstone doesn’t plan on going anywhere.

“The people that I’ve spoken to … have asked me if I would stay,” Ecclestone told AP.

Follow @JerryBonkowski

IndyCar: Andretti, Hunter-Reay, Hinchcliffe test at Mid-Ohio

TORONTO, ON - JULY 19:  Marco Andretti driver of the #25 Andretti Autosport Dallara Honda stands on pit wall prior to qualifying for the Verizon IndyCar Series Honda Indy Toronto on the Streets of Toronto on July 19, 2014 in Toronto, Canada.  (Photo by Chris Trotman/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Monday was IndyCar team owner Michael Andretti’s 53rd birthday and son Marco was nowhere to be found – but with good reason.

The younger Andretti and Andretti Autosport teammate Ryan Hunter-Reay were both testing at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course near Lexington, Ohio.

Also taking part in the test was Schmidt Peterson Motorsport’s James Hinchcliffe.

It was Hinchcliffe’s second successful test since recovering from his horrific crash during practice for this year’s Indianapolis 500 in May.

Hinchcliffe’s first test was last week at Road America in Wisconsin.

Monday’s test session was not open to the public or media, but a Honda source told Motorsportstalk that drivers and teams reportedly focused on testing aerodynamics for the 2016 Verizon IndyCar Series season.

Follow @JerryBonkowski