Mike Conway ready to double up on Long Beach IndyCar win this Sunday in Alabama

Leave a comment

Mike Conway’s come-from-behind IndyCar win at Long Beach nearly two weeks ago may have been a surprise to some.

But it wasn’t a surprise to team owner Ed Carpenter or Conway himself. They both had confidence in each other for a strong run and a high finish – and the win was just an added bonus.

“It was a stunning win for the Ed Carpenter Racing/Fuzzy’s Vodka team, as they did a tremendous job preparing the car, making good pit stops and the an excellent strategy for the race,” Conway said.

“There was a lot of banging and shoving at the start and we broke the right front wing. I think the team was more concerned about that wing than I was during the race. The wing was flapping a little but the car was good.”

Conway now wants to double-up on what was his second career win at Long Beach – and third overall win in the IndyCar series (also won at Detroit last year) – with a second straight win in Sunday’s Grand Prix of Alabama at Barber Motorsports Park.

The 90-lap race around the 2.38-mile, 17-turn natural terrain Barber course, located just east of Birmingham, Ala., suits Conway’s style just fine.

“It feels very good to come to the Barber track as the winner of the last Verizon IndyCar Series race,” Conway said in a team media release. “I like the Barber circuit a lot. It’s a cool track, very fast flowing. It is hard to pass there, but it’s still possible.”

Conway will split driving the No. 20 Chevrolet with Carpenter this season. Conway will handle all road and street races, while Carpenter will drive in the six oval track events, including next month’s Indianapolis 500 (Carpenter won the pole there last year).

“I think we have a great combination with Ed on the ovals and me driving the streets and roads,” Conway said. “It felt fantastic to repay them for their trust in me.”

It’s a good partnership. Carpenter doesn’t like road/street courses, while Conway doesn’t like ovals. The fact Carpenter won at Detroit, as well as four wins in the World Endurance Championship for sports cars last season, definitely caught Carpenter’s eye.

“I needed to look at the potential of Ed Carpenter Racing,” said Carpenter, the only owner/driver in the Verizon IndyCar Series. “While I improved in road racing, I felt it was better overall for ECR and our partners to put a contender in the car for the roads.

“And Mike immediately showed he can find the winner’s circle. People think I was very smart already with the move, but I felt Mike always could win with this team. We have a strong organization at ECR.”

The Long Beach win helped avenge Conway’s disappointing 16th-place finish in the season opener at St. Petersburg, Fla. He was headed toward a potential podium finish, but a miscommunication on the team radio cost him dearly.

Even so, the Long Beach win righted the wrong from St. Pete, elevating Conway to second in the series standings heading into this weekend.

“I qualified on the front row in the first IndyCar Series race at Barber,” said Conway, 30. “I’d really like to do that again. I feel we can transfer the Long Beach win into a good showing this weekend at Barber.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Lorenzo looking to Honda, Ducati for help in MotoGP title race

ALCANIZ, SPAIN - SEPTEMBER 27:  Jorge Lorenzo of Spain and Movistar Yamaha MotoGP celebrates the victory on the podium at the end of the MotoGP race during the MotoGP of Spain - Race at Motorland Aragon Circuit on September 27, 2015 in Alcaniz, Spain.  (Photo by Mirco Lazzari gp/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Jorge Lorenzo hopes that he can get some help from the Honda and Ducati riders in his championship battle with Yamaha teammate Valentino Rossi in the final four races of the 2015 MotoGP season.

Lorenzo currently trails Rossi by 14 points at the top of the riders’ championship, and with just four races to go, barring an unlikely run of results, the title will go to a Yamaha rider for the first time since 2012.

The formbook offers little in the way of clues for the Lorenzo/Rossi battle, for although Lorenzo has won more races, Rossi has been more consistent, finishing off the podium just once this season.

Lorenzo had hoped to reel Rossi in last time out at Motorland Aragon, but the Italian rider managed to finish third, minimizing the damage of his teammate’s victory.

Nevertheless, Lorenzo was pleased to bounce back after two disappointing races at Silverstone and Misano, having lost ground on Rossi in the title race.

“I am very happy with this victory because it came after two races that were a bit disappointing and I expected to take more points, but due to a few factors and especially the weather, I failed to achieve the desired result,” Lorenzo said. “The victory in Motorland [Aragon] was crucial.”

Rossi was beaten to second place by Honda’s Dani Pedrosa after a titanic battle in the closing stages of the last race, and Lorenzo hopes that the Spaniard, among others, could aid his cause inadvertently again in the remaining four races.

“[Pedrosa] was very strong and it was useful to recover the points lost earlier and it has given me more chances to recover with four races left until the end,” Lorenzo said.

“But [Marc] Marquez or maybe the two Ducati riders could also stand in front of Valentino and take away some points. It is a real possibility, but very dangerous for us both.”

The next round of the MotoGP season takes place at Motegi, Japan next weekend.

Steiner: Haas F1 Team could not afford rookie mistakes

KANNAPOLIS, NC - SEPTEMBER 29:  (L-R) Gunther Steiner, team principal of Haas F1 Team, Romain Grosjean of France, and Gene Haas, owner of Haas F1 Team, pose for a photo opportunity after Haas F1 Team announced Grosjean as their driver for the upcoming 2016 Formula 1 season on September 29, 2015 in Kannapolis, North Carolina.  (Photo by Jared C. Tilton/Stewart-Haas Racing via Getty Images)
© Getty Images
1 Comment

Günther Steiner has said that Haas Formula 1 Team could not afford to have its drivers making rookie mistakes during its debut season in the sport, reasoning the decision to only sign experienced racers for 2016.

On Tuesday, Haas unveiled Lotus driver Romain Grosjean as its first signing for next season, luring the Frenchman away from Enstone after ten years of association.

The second seat is set to go to either Esteban Gutierrez or Jean-Eric Vergne, who both work as development drivers for Ferrari and both have at least two seasons of racing under their belt.

As team principal, Steiner (pictured left) will work under team owner Gene Haas, and said that both had agreed that a rookie driver for season one would be unwise.

“We looked around a lot to find the right guy because we wanted somebody with experience but still hungry to do something, to go with us this long way,” Steiner explained.

“I started talks with the management of Romain in Barcelona to see if he’s interested and, you know, we spoke to quite a few drivers, and in the end I spoke also with technical people, what they think about Romain, how he develops a car.

“We have got a steep mountain to climb here, new team, all new team members, so we needed somebody who knows what he’s doing. I think in the end we found the right guy because he has so much ‘want to drive’ now, and he’s still aggressive or still wants it.

“He’s not [so] young anymore that he’s inexperienced. We lose time by having accidents or doing rookie mistakes. I think we just picked the best one out there for what we are doing, and we focused on him and got him, and we are very happy and we are looking forward to working with him.”