Scott Speed has his second consecutive win in Red Bull Global Rallycross, Saturday at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C., after also winning the most recent race at MCAS New River.
The defending series champion has also closed on his Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross teammate, Tanner Foust, who finished third in Saturday’s race.
Speed, in the No. 41 entry, got the strong launch off the line and proceeded to lead away from Bryan Herta Rallysport driver Patrik Sandell, who debuted a new Cuttwood livery on his No. 18 Ford Fiesta ST this weekend.
Meanwhile Chip Ganassi Rallycross driver Brian Deegan was third in his No. 38 NOS Energy Drink Ford Fiesta ST, ahead of Speed’s teammate Foust in the No. 34 Rockstar Energy Beetle.
Foust would later get around Deegan for third but neither of them had anything for the top two drivers.
While Speed dominated, Sandell’s Washington D.C. hot streak continued and he had his third podium of the season (second at Phoenix Round 1, won Dallas Round 3).
Meanwhile a flat right rear demoted Honda Red Bull Olbsergs MSE driver Sebastian Eriksson down to P10.
The finishing order? Speed, Sandell, Foust, Deegan and the second OMSE driver, Joni Wiman.
Steve Arpin (Ganassi) was sixth – a tied season worst result – ahead of SH Rallycross/DRR returning driver Nelson Piquet Jr.
In GRC Lites, Cabot Bigham withstood a heavy challenge from defending series champion Oliver Eriksson to take his first career Lites victory. Bigham, who raced in front of numerous friends and family members that live in the DC area, also extended his championship lead in the process with only four races remaining.
Full Supercar results from Red Bull Global Rallycross Washington DC are as follows:
- Scott Speed, #41 Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross Beetle
- Patrik Sandell, #18 Bryan Herta Rallysport Ford Fiesta ST
- Tanner Foust, #34 Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross Beetle
- Brian Deegan, #38 Loenbro Chip Ganassi Racing Ford Fiesta ST
- Joni Wiman, #31 Honda Red Bull Olsbergs MSE Civic Coupe
- Steve Arpin, #00 Loenbro Chip Ganassi Racing Ford Fiesta ST
- Nelson Piquet Jr., #07 SH Rallycross/DRR Ford Fiesta ST
- Austin Dyne, #14 AD Racing Ford Fiesta ST
- Bucky Lasek, #81 Subaru Rally Team USA WRX STI
- Sebastian Eriksson, #93 Honda Red Bull Olsbergs MSE Civic Coupe
- Sverre Isachsen, #11 Subaru Rally Team USA WRX STI
The Red Bull Global Rallycross season will resume on August 27-28 at Bader Field in Atlantic City with Round 9 of the 2016 championship. Tickets remain on sale at redbullglobalrallycross.com/tickets. The race will be shown on Sunday, August 28 at 3PM ET on NBC and 3:30PM ET on Red Bull TV.