KV pair looks for results in Barber

Leave a comment

Through two races, KVSH Racing’s “bespectacled badass” Sebastien Bourdais has shown great pace but endured miserable luck, while KV/AFS’ Sebastian Saavedra has rebounded from midfield grid positions to get better results.

The goal for the pair of both them this weekend at Barber Motorsports Park is to get the results off of two good qualifying efforts.

Bourdais, two years ago, turned in one of the Verizon IndyCar Series’ best underdog drives in recent memory – he dragged a down-on-power Lotus engine for Dragon Racing from 17th on the grid to ninth place in the race. That proved the engine manufacturer’s lone top-10 finish in 2012, and both figures are Bourdais’ best results at this circuit in three prior starts.

The Frenchman hasn’t won a North American open-wheel race on a road course since his last Champ Car win at Mexico City in 2007, but he’s still optimistic of finally getting the luck to turn around this week in the black and green No. 11 Hydroxycut Chevrolet.

“This race is very important for KVSH Racing,” Bourdais said. “We had a fast car the first two races of the season, but for various reasons have not been able to get the results we were hoping for. The guys have done a great job setting up and preparing the car. We just need to put everything together and finish off a race weekend with the kind of performance we know we are capable of having.”

Saavedra, meanwhile, has been a quiet and stealthy surprise through two races. Currently 10th in points after finishes of 11th and ninth, Saavedra is a past Barber Motorsports Park winner in Indy Lights (2012) and qualified ninth for this race last year driving for Dragon.

“It’s been an aggressive start of the season and we’ve been able to survive it with good points in the bank,” said the young Colombian. “We need to keep with the top-10 drivers in the championship. Barber is a place I had a good qualifying last year and a bad strategy killed a good finish.”

You can see how well the KV pair does starting at 2:30 p.m. ET on Sunday on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra.

Plans for Alonso sports car debut in Rolex 24 gathering speed

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Plans for McLaren Formula 1 driver Fernando Alonso to appear in next year’s Rolex 24 at Daytona are gathering speed as the two-time World Champion angles for a drive at Le Mans in 2018.

Alonso announced on Thursday he had signed a new, multi-year deal to remain with McLaren in F1, but has left the door open to continue his pursuit of the Triple Crown of Motorsport and become just the second driver in history to complete it.

Alonso has won the Monaco Grand Prix twice and made his Indianapolis 500 debut this year, retiring with an engine issue, and has made no secret of his ambition to race at Le Mans one day.

With no date clashes, the possibility exists for Alonso to race at Le Mans in 2018, potentially with Toyota in the LMP1 class following McLaren’s split with Honda.

However, Alonso could make his 24-hour race debut five months earlier, with reports emerging on Thursday that he could be in line to appear in the Rolex 24 at Daytona in January.

First reported by Sportscar365, Alonso could be set to race for McLaren executive director Zak Brown’s team, United Autosports, at Daytona in January, with no clashes existing with his F1 commitments.

Alonso remained coy when asked about the chances of him appearing at Daytona, but admitted additional preparation for a possible Le Mans appearance would be of interest.

“For the Indy 500 it was a nice experience, I felt very competitive but it was a big challenge that I took from zero, from no testing, not any similar race before it,” Alonso said, as quoted by Reuters.

“If I want to prepare Le Mans, maybe there are other possibilities to prepare Le Mans a little bit better than I prepared the Indy 500.”

He added more about his other race program in Thursday’s pre-race Paddock Pass episode, speaking to NBCSN. “To be the best driver in the world you have to win in different series at different times. It’s possible I can compete in different races next year,” he said.

Brown said he would be happy to field Alonso at Daytona, and confirmed their pair had already loosely discussed it.

“If Fernando wants to do Daytona and we have a seat available, we would put his name on it happily,” Brown said.

“We’ve started joking around about it, and we saw where jokes got us last time,” he added, referencing the eventual entry to the Indy 500.

United Autosports will field two Ligier JS P217 cars at Daytona in January, and has already confirmed ex-F1 racer Paul di Resta, McLaren junior Lando Norris, American endurance racer Will Owen and British youngster Philip Hanson in seats.

McLaren reserve and 2009 F1 world champion Jenson Button had been linked with a drive for United Autosports at Daytona, but Brown confirmed to Sportscar365 this was no longer an option.

“Jenson won’t be driving for us. I don’t know what he’s going to be doing,” Brown said.

“I thought he was going to be in the Penske car. Not sure what happened there.”