Toyota Owners 400 - Practice

Clint Bowyer putting Richmond controversy behind him

Leave a comment

After enduring through last fall’s race manipulation controversy at Richmond International Raceway, Clint Bowyer has appeared to put the matter behind him as he returns to “The Action Track.”

NASCAR may have avoided long-term damage following the incident, but Bowyer – whose spin with seven laps remaining in last September’s Richmond race triggered the ruckus – had to deal with a battered reputation in the immediate aftermath.

His Michael Waltrip Racing team also suffered, as they lost major sponsor NAPA and driver Martin Truex Jr. while downsizing to a two-car operation.

But on the eve of the Toyota Owners 400, Bowyer indicated that he was ready to focus on the weekend at hand.

“I’m looking forward to having another good run here and shaking that off from last year,” he said this morning at RIR. “It was a bad deal and I get it.

“This is one of my favorite race tracks. People all across the country ask you where your favorite tracks are and this is first or second on my list.”

As for whether his reputation has improved since last fall, Bowyer believes that his fans have stuck by him.

“Everybody knows me, I love to have fun in this sport, I appreciate the sport and try to give back every chance I get,” he said. “The fan base, Twitter and things like that — I took a beating for awhile, but we weathered that storm, it’s behind us and it’s a lot of fun to interact with those fans whether it’s good or bad.

“It’s all positive interaction as far as I’m concerned because they are talking about our sport.”

Bowyer’s 2014 season has been in his mind, a “peaks and valleys” sort of year so far. Two weeks ago at Darlington, he finished 12th but sent Kurt Busch into the wall when he hit him from behind during the first of two Green-White-Checkered attempts.

The incident didn’t please Busch at all, and Bowyer showed remorse for it this morning.

“There’s only enough room to go about a car width and a half off of [Darlington’s Turn 2] and we were trying to do it three and four-wide and it just doesn’t work out,” Bowyer said. “[I] obviously felt bad and hated that for him…Just a racing deal at the end of those things – Green-White-Checkered with everyone on different strategies, it’s a recipe for disaster.”

Bowyer also noted that he had reached out to Busch but that “you understand the frustration and you put yourself in those shoes – you probably wouldn’t reply back either. It ain’t worth a whole lot.”

Bird, Stanaway and Evans receive LMP1 rookie test invites

LONDON, ENGLAND - JUNE 28:  English driver Sam Bird of Virgin Racing during first practice on the second day of the 2015 FIA Formula E Visa London ePrix Championship at Battersea Park Track on June 28, 2015 in London, England.  (Photo by Charles Coates/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Sam Bird, Richie Stanaway and Mitch Evans have been invited to the end-of-season LMP1 rookie test in Bahrain following impressive outings in the FIA World Endurance Championship this season.

As part of the series’ drive to nurture and develop young talent, a single day of testing is scheduled at the Bahrain International Circuit one day after the 2015 WEC season ends, and will be attended by Audi, Toyota and Porsche.

In a statement issued by the WEC, it was confirmed that Bird, Stanaway and Evans had received the invites for this year’s LMP1 rookie test after “having shown the best performance, determination and race skills during 2015.

“Each of the prototype manufacturers will test with at least one LMP1 car, and each of the drivers chosen will be given the opportunity to complete at least 30 laps with one manufacturer. The LMP1 manufacturers may also use the time on track to test additional drivers if they wish.”

Bird has enjoyed a successful 2015 season, winning races in both the WEC with LMP2 team G-Drive and in Formula E with Virgin Racing. The former Mercedes junior driver will test with Toyota in Bahrain.

Stanaway has also been mixing single-seater and endurance duties this year, racing in both GP2 and the WEC with Aston Martin Racing in GTE Pro. He will step up to test with Audi.

Despite only taking part in two WEC rounds this season, Evans has made enough of an impact to grab the attention of the series promoter and earn an invite to the rookie test. The New Zealander has been Mark Webber’s protege for some time, making it somewhat unsurprising that he will now test with Porsche alongside his mentor in Bahrain.

“This first rookie test is a fantastic opportunity for these three up-and-coming endurance drivers to test an LMP1 prototype, the most technologically advanced race cars in the world,” WEC CEO Gerard Neveu said.

“We looked in depth at drivers from within the world of endurance racing before making the selection, and believe that Sam Bird, Mitch Evans and Richie Stanaway fully deserved the opportunity to demonstrate their talent and potential.

“This rookie test will give drivers an added bonus to their season, and forms an important element in the progressive career path available within the endurance family.”

The rookie test takes place on November 22, one day after the end of the WEC season.

Sainz airlifted to hospital following practice crash

xxxx during final practice for the Formula One Grand Prix of Russia at Sochi Autodrom on October 10, 2015 in Sochi, Russia.
© Getty Images
1 Comment

Carlos Sainz Jr. has been airlifted to hospital after a big crash during the final free practice session for the Russian Grand Prix on Saturday morning.

Under braking at turn 13, Sainz lost the backend of his Toro Rosso car, causing him to hit the left-hand wall before slamming into the TecPro barrier at the end of the run-off area.

The session was immediately red flagged as medical crews tended to Sainz, taking 20 minutes to extricate him from the Toro Rosso car due to how it had pitched under the barrier.

FIA media delegate Matteo Bonciani told reporters: “The driver is conscious and is still in the process of being extricated. When we know something, we will let you know.”

After being extricated from the car, Sainz was taken away on a stretcher before being placed in an ambulance, giving a thumbs up to let fans know that he was okay. He is also reported to have been talking to doctors in the medical centre after the crash.

Sainz has now been airlifted to hospital for further checks, and is set to miss qualifying later today, with Toro Rosso team boss Franz Tost telling BBC Sport: “To sit him in the car immediately seems a bit risky, but we will wait and see.”

Toro Rosso has now issued the following statement:

“Following Carlos Sainz’s accident during FP3 today in Sochi, the driver is perfectly conscious and was able to talk to the extrication team. Once out of the car he was taken to the circuit Medical Centre, where he underwent an initial assessment of his condition.

“He has now been taken by air ambulance to the Sochi Hospital 4. Investigations on the reasons for the accident will take place once the car is back in the team’s garage.

“Further information will be released by the team and the FIA to the media when it is available.”

Sainz sent out a tweet from hospital confirming that he was okay following the shunt, and is now working to get back onto the grid for tomorrow’s race.