FIA WEC: Audi hopes to fight back at Spa with 3 car team

Leave a comment

After suffering an embarrassing double retirement in the first round of the 2014 FIA World Endurance Championship season at Silverstone last weekend, defending world champions Audi are looking to hit back at the 6 Hours of Spa on May 3.

In addition to the #1 and #2 cars that will take part at every round on the WEC calendar this year, Audi will also field a third car for the race at Spa-Francorchamps as well as the 24 Hours of Le Mans in June. This will be driven by WEC debutant Felipe Albuquerque and Marco Bonanomi, with third driver Oliver Jarvis missing the race in Belgium due to other commitments.

Following all the tests, I’m now excited about my first race in the Audi R18 e-tron quattro,” Albuquerque said. “We prepared step by step and are hoping for a good race. The car is great fun. I can hardly wait for my stint.”

Bonanomi is also keen on repeating his podium finish at last year’s race, which was won by the #1 car of Marcel Fassler, Andre Lotterer and Benoit Treluyer.

I’m very happy about being able to race for Audi again,” the Italian said. “We’ll be driving a car with different aerodynamics than the two sister race cars.

“We do this to prepare for our Le Mans commitment. After our tests with this body version, I’m confident. And within the squad of Audi Sport, Audi Sport Team Joest and among the drivers the atmosphere is good, too.”

Audi will also debut the ‘long tail’ R18 eTron Quattro at Spa, and all at Ingolstadt will be keen on bouncing back after such a disappointing result at Silverstone.

NHRA Gatornationals: John Force has another spectacular motor explosion

Photo courtesy NHRA
Leave a comment

Legendary NHRA Funny Car driver John Force endured yet another spectacular motor explosion – his third in the NHRA’s first three national event races – during Friday’s qualifying at the Amalie Motor Oil Gatornationals in Gainesville, Florida.

It’s the kind of consistency the 16-time NHRA Funny Car champ could do without.

The 68-year-old Force came to Gainesville hoping to break the jinx that saw him endure explosions in both the season-opening Winternationals and the second race of the season in Phoenix.

Both motor explosions sent Force to the hospital for examination before he returned to the race track.

Friday, even though the motor in his Chevrolet Camaro blew up again (in the second round of qualifying), at least this time, Force didn’t wind up in the hospital.

He did have his right hand bandaged from a cut suffered in the explosion, but did not have to go to the hospital this time.

He even joked about not having to add yet another ambulance bill to the nearest Gainesville hospital.

But the explosion still proved costly.

“That was another body and that hurts the financial (bottomline),” Force said. “I was out $500,000 to $600,000, and now we are probably out $800,000, going on a million. In drag racing, you have to be tough.”

He ended the day qualifying 14th, not a very comfortable position with two more rounds of qualifying set for Saturday.

Force continues to be mystified why the motors keep exploding.

“I really thought we had it, I thought we were there,” Force said. “In the first round we drove it 500 feet and shut it off. It looked great. We ran it again that run and I was only going to drive it 800 feet even if we didn’t make The Show.”

Force will attempt to improve his qualifying spot during Saturday’s final two rounds to make Sunday’s eliminations.

Follow @JerryBonkowski