Report: Montoya to drive for Penske at Brickyard 400?

2 Comments

Former Indianapolis 500 and CART champion Juan Pablo Montoya has switched back to open-wheel racing, but before the Verizon IndyCar Series season started, it was indicated repeatedly that his NASCAR career may not be over.

During Montoya’s IndyCar test at Sebring last November, Penske Racing president Tim Cindric said that the Colombian had “unfinished business” in a stock car and that Penske might put him in a stock car “at the right time.”

Then, during this February’s Daytona Speedweeks, Montoya himself said that he thought running in the Brickyard 400 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway “would be a good thing.”

Now it appears that we may be close to knowing what stock car plans, if any, Montoya has in the near-future.

Earlier this morning, Jenna Fryer of the Associated Press tweeted the following:

Later on this afternoon, Lee Spencer of Motorsport.com reported that, in addition to an expected Brickyard announcement for Montoya, he could also drive a third car for Team Penske when the Sprint Cup Series makes their road course stops at Sonoma in June and Watkins Glen in August.

Sonoma is where Montoya earned his first Cup win in 2007, and three years later, he got his second Cup win at the Glen.

But as he talked about in February, Montoya especially wants to win the Brickyard after coming close twice in his seven-year Cup run with Chip Ganassi Racing.

Montoya finished second in the ’07 Brickyard to Tony Stewart, but led 116 laps in the ’09 edition only to have his bid for victory foiled by a late pit road speeding penalty; he finished 11th that day.

Last year, he almost got his first Cup win on an oval in the Richmond spring race until a caution came out with five laps to go. Subsequent pit stops left him sixth for the Green-White-Checkered restart, and he could only rise up to fourth by the end.

The Callaway Corvette GT3 is coming to America, in PWC

Photo: Callaway Competition USA
Leave a comment

Pirelli World Challenge has been in need of some good news from a car count standpoint early into this offseason, and receives it Monday with confirmation Callaway Competition will bring its GT3-spec homologated Corvette C7 GT3-R Stateside next season.

The withdrawal of the factory Cadillac Racing program after PWC’s season finale in Sonoma in September has opened the door for the factory-blessed Corvette C7 GT3-R to run in North America, because Cadillac’s ATS-V.R has been the lone GT3-spec car under the General Motors awning for the last three seasons, while the Callaway Corvette has raced only internationally.

Reeves Callaway has been on site at the tail end of the PWC season to survey the opportunity and now a deal has been struck for a factory effort to run next year, before the Callaway Corvette program becomes a customer effort in 2019. This follows the same timeline as Acura did with its new NSX GT3 this year to run it as a factory program in 2017 before shifting to customer efforts in 2018.

“Joining the Pirelli World Challenge has been a long term objective for Callaway Competition,” Callaway said in a release. “Now the field is a roll-call of the most capable sports cars from every country. To do well here, you must beat the best in the world. What better way to showcase our iconic American car?

“For 2018, we will run a Callaway factory team to give us the best chance of continuing the championship record the Corvette has achieved in international competition. For 2019, we will not race against our customers, but provide high-quality support to them in the tradition of other manufacturer customer racing support programs.”

“For several years fans have asked when they would see the Callaway Corvette GT3 run in the Pirelli World Challenge,” added Greg Gill, President and CEO of Pirelli World Challenge. “The wait is over and we are very pleased to announce the arrival of the Callaway Corvette GT3 for the 2018 season.”

The Callaway Competition USA Corvette C7 GT3-R will be unveiled and both full season drivers announced at the Performance Racing Industry show in Indianapolis on December 7 at the Pirelli World Challenge booth. Following the unveiling event, the car will be on display for the remainder of the trade show. Details of the presentation will be announced in the coming weeks.

Callaway’s confirmation comes amidst the likely drawdown of potentially nine or 10 cars that raced in PWC’s GT and GTA ranks either all season or most of it in 2017, among at least five manufacturers. That’s not to say those losses can’t be recouped elsewhere on the grid, over the next several months before the St. Petersburg season opener in March.

PWC will hold its annual state of the series and competitor meeting to finalize the next year’s plans at the PRI show as well.