Sage Karam

Sage Karam confirmed for Indianapolis 500; CGR with DRR/Kingdom Racing


The 2013 Indy Lights champion, Sage Karam, will make his Indianapolis 500 debut this year after formal confirmation of a new multi-year driver development deal with Chip Ganassi Racing.

Karam, rather than be entered in a fifth sole CGR entry, will be entered in a CGR-supported No. 22 Chevrolet, entered by Dreyer & Reinbold Kingdom Racing.

“I couldn’t be happier to join Chip Ganassi Racing’s Verizon IndyCar Series program,” Karam said in a team release. “It is honestly a dream come true for me and my racing career. I’ve been very fortunate to participate in a few IMSA races for Chip with the team, and I can’t wait for my first experience in the Indianapolis 500. Chip has created a fantastic organization that judges success by just one thing – WINNING, both races and championships. This is a very big day for me.”

The Nazareth, Pa. 19-year-old, a senior in high school, has competed in the first two TUDOR United SportsCar Championship races of 2014 in CGR’s Ford EcoBoost Riley Daytona Prototype. He led at Sebring and was one of that race’s stars.

Said Ganassi of his newest development driver, “Sage is a unique talent that we believe is a future star of the sport. Even at a young age, he has been successful at every level that he has raced at. It is nice to see his poise and tenacity on the race track as I think that will translate well to his driving at Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the 500. He reminds me of the two other recent young drivers that we have in our program, Kyle Larson and Dylan Kwasniewski.”

Karam is CGR’s first open-wheel developmental driver since Alex Lloyd; Lloyd made his Indianapolis 500 debut under similar conditions, in a CGR-supported second car for Rahal Letterman Racing in 2008. However with Dario Franchitti’s return to open-wheel racing ahead of the 2009 season, future opportunities for Lloyd at CGR were limited.

Meanwhile DRR, led by Dennis Reinbold, temporarily suspended their efforts after last year’s Indianapolis 500. Kingdom Racing has worked with Davey Hamilton previously, and although Hamilton was not named in today’s release, it’s anticipated he’ll be part of the leadership structure of this program. Hamilton has been working on putting together an entry for this year’s Indianapolis 500.

This brings the number of confirmed driver/car combinations to 30, with two more cars already expected for 32, and a 33rd to come.

Ecclestone has ‘no doubts’ Monza will remain on F1 calendar

1 Comment

MILAN (AP) Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone is confident the Italian Grand Prix in Monza can find the needed cash to stay on the calendar.

Ecclestone tells the Gazzetta dello Sport, “We will find the right solution – I no longer have doubts – to provide a future for the Italian GP.”

No circuit has hosted more F1 racing than Monza, but officials at the track outside Milan have had trouble producing the estimated 25 million euros ($26.6 million) per year that Ecclestone seeks to keep the race in place after the current contract expires next year.

Ecclstone says, “Things have been cleared up and there is only one go between, (Angelo) Sticchi Damiani, the president of the Italian Automobile Club.”

The Italian GP next year is scheduled for Sept. 4.

Alternative engine solution rejected by F1 Commission

Nico Rosberg

Plans to introduce a new alternative, cheaper engine into Formula 1 for 2017 – hypothetically a 2.2-liter V6 similar to what is seen in IndyCar – will at least temporarily go on the backburner.

The F1 Commission has rejected the so called “alternative engine solution,” where several companies submitted proposals to be that alternative supplier.

“The F1 Commission voted not to pursue this option at this stage — however, it may be reassessed after the Power Unit manufacturers have presented their proposal to the Strategy Group,” the FIA said on Wednesday.

“The parties involved have agreed on a course to address several key areas relating to Power Unit supply in Formula One,” the statement added.

Meanwhile the statement outlined four things the current manufacturers – Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault and Honda – would be tasked with improving on the current 1.6-liter formula:

Those are:

  • a guarantee of supply to teams
  • the need to reduce the engines’ cost
  • simplification of the specification
  • “improved noise”

Further meetings between the manufacturers and the governing body are scheduled, including one this weekend at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix season finale.

As F1 heads into the final weekend of the season, political/paddock items such as Red Bull and Toro Rosso’s respective power unit futures, whether Renault’s takeover of Lotus will finally become official and what will happen with Manor’s team leadership stake – this marks Graeme Lowdon and John Booth’s final weekends although ex-McLaren man Dave Ryan has been hired as the team’s new racing director – are among the talking points.

Stoffel Vandoorne’s Super Formula test hampered by engine woes

Jenson Button, Fernando Alonso, Stoffel Vandoorne
1 Comment

You couldn’t make this stuff up.

Dominant GP2 Series champion Stoffel Vandoorne had his first go in a Super Formula car at Suzuka on Wednesday, but the engine woes that have hampered his Formula 1 team’s efforts (McLaren) all season appear to be equal opportunity woes.

Vandoorne only completed a limited day of running due to technical issues; naturally, and in an unfortunate coincidence, the Super Formula cars also have Honda power.

The Belgian is now en route from Japan to Abu Dhabi, where this weekend’s final round of the GP2 season will be held alongside the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

FIA Formula E to remain at Battersea Park following vote

1 Comment

Wandsworth Council’s Community Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee voted seven to four late Tuesday night, in favor of retaining the FIA Formula E event in Battersea Park.

This will see the London ePrix – the season finale for the electric open-wheel championship – continue at the site for at least the next two seasons.

The 2016 race will run July 2-3, to avoid a direct head-to-head clash with the British Grand Prix a week later in Silverstone.

Battersea Park’s race faced local opposition in recent weeks, which put the race under threat.