Aaron's 499 - Practice

Dale Jr. on ‘Dega knockout quals: “It just wasn’t much fun”

2 Comments

Shortly before the start of today’s knockout qualifying at Talladega Superspeedway, Dale Earnhardt Jr. had a colorful way of setting the stage for the proceedings on Twitter.

Things didn’t go ‘terribly wrong’ as Earnhardt was able to keep his car in one piece after riding in the draft in a bid to set a fast time.

But things didn’t go very well for him either, as he was unable to advance from the first round of qualifying for tomorrow’s Aaron’s 499.

Earnhardt, a five-time ‘Dega winner in Sprint Cup, will start 31st on the grid. After his qualifying run, he seemed to be suffering from a case of ennui.

“It just wasn’t much fun,” he told MRN Radio. “We’re out there in the draft running along. I don’t know, we just didn’t run a fast enough lap with Bowyer around.

“It wasn’t a whole lot of fun to be honest with you. I’d like to do some heat races [on restrictor plate tracks] or something. It’d be a little bit funner than this.”

When Fox TV caught up with him, he didn’t deviate much from his radio comments, adding that he found today’s exercise “pretty boring.” He later went back to Twitter and shook off his sub-par Saturday.

Earnhardt was one of several past Talladega winners that failed to get out of Round 1 in today’s qualifying, including the two victors from last year’s ‘Dega events, David Ragan (spring) and Jamie McMurray (fall); McMurray will roll off 33rd tomorrow and Ragan shall start 41st.

Others in this particular group included Michael Waltrip and Clint Bowyer, whose qualifying fortunes were only slightly better. They’ll start 28th and 29th respectively.

“It’s kind of luck of the draw on getting the right run and when you get the right run [it’s about] those guys continuing the entire lap, and we were just unable to do that,” McMurray told MRN of his experience.

“Fortunately, it’s at a place where qualifying is not as critical. We’ll just fight from where we are, and I think our McDonald’s Chevy is really good. It’s disappointing not to make it in, but I don’t think it will matter at Lap 5.”

Esteban Ocon secures Mercedes DTM seat for 2016

2015 GP3 Series Round 9
Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
Sunday 29 November 2015.
Esteban Ocon (FRA, ART Grand Prix) 
Photo: Sam Bloxham/GP3 Series Media Service.
ref: Digital Image _G7C8733
Ā© GP3 Series
Leave a comment

2015 GP3 Series champion Esteban Ocon will race in the DTM championship this year with Mercedes in tandem with a reserve role in Formula 1 at Renault.

Ocon joined Mercedes’ junior program in the spring of 2015 before becoming a fully-fledged member at the end of the year just days before his GP3 title success.

The Frenchman was known to be considering a move into either DTM or GP2 for 2016, but will now replace F1-bound Pascal Wehrlein at Mercedes’ factory team for the new DTM campaign.

“It’s an incredible feeling to be part of such a professional and strong racing series,” Ocon said.

“I’m very pleased to be driving for Mercedes-Benz. It’s the best team in the DTM and I’m very grateful for this fantastic opportunity.

“Mercedes is the most successful manufacturer in DTM history. You can only achieve that with real passion and hard work, and those are characteristics that we share.Ā After driving in free practice during the final race weekend of the 2015 season at Hockenheim, I can’t wait to start a DTM race.

“I obviously have a lot to learn, but my goal ā€“ and that of everyone in the team ā€“ is to fight for wins as soon as possible.”

Trident completes 2016 GP2 line-up with Armand

2015 GP2 Series Test 3.
Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
Friday 4 December 2015.
Philo Armand (INA, Status Grand Prix).
Photo: Zak Mauger/GP2 Series Media Service.
ref: Digital Image _L0U4261
Ā© GP2 Series
Leave a comment

Trident has completed its line-up for the 2016 GP2 Series season by signing Indonesian driver Philo Paz Armand.

Armand has previously raced in a number of European Formula Renault 2.0 championships, and most recently took part in half of last year’s Formula Renault 3.5 rounds, scoring one point.

Armand will now step up to GP2 for the 2016 season, racing alongside 2015 GP3 runner-up Luca Ghiotto at Trident.

“We are very excited to start this collaboration with Philo and we are confident he will express all his talent thanks to the teamā€™s help,” Trident team manager Giacomo Ricci said.

The grid for GP2’s support series, GP3, is also beginning to come together for the new season following the announcements of Tatiana Calderon and Honda juniorĀ Nirei Fukuzumi.

Calderon moves into GP3 from FIA F3 and will race for Carlin, while Fukuzumi joins ART Grand Prix, continuing the French squad’s association with Honda.

Marchionne calls for Alfa Romeo to consider F1 entry

LOS ANGELES, CA - FEBRUARY 20:  The Alfa Romeo 4C on display at the Vanity Fair Campaign Hollywood Alfa Romeo Ride and Drive luncheon at The Polsky Residence on February 20, 2015 in Los Angeles, California.  (Photo by Michael Buckner/Getty Images for Vanity Fair)
Ā© Getty Images
1 Comment

Fiat-Chrysler CEO and Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne believes that Italian car manufacturer Alfa Romeo must consider entering Formula 1 with a team in the near future.

Alfa Romeo last raced as a constructor in F1 between 1979 and 1985, but has enjoyed no involvement within the series since 1988 when it supplied engines to the Osella team.

MarchionneĀ believes that a return to F1 would be an effective way for Alfa Romeo to grow as a brand and gain more public awareness.

“In order to restore their name, they must consider returning to Formula 1,” MarchionneĀ told Italian publicationĀ La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“Alfa Romeo are capable of making their own chassis, just like they are capable of making their own engine,” he added, before conceding that it could enjoy an engine supply from Ferrari should it wish to enter F1.

MarchionneĀ believes that adding more manufacturers to the F1 grid is key to safeguarding the long-term future of the series.

“In the end this sport must be saved,” Marchionne said.

“The important thing is to make other car manufacturers enter grand prix racing.”

Grosjean unveils new helmet design for first F1 season with Haas

12698301_1120958154581623_8589183238773563028_o
Ā© Romain Grosjean
Leave a comment

Romain Grosjean has revealed his new-look helmet design ahead of his first Formula 1 season with Haas in 2016.

NASCAR team co-owner Gene Haas won the race to get an F1 team on the grid back in 2014, and has spent the past 18 months meticulously planning its arrival in the sport.

Haas F1 Team’s full debut is now just five weeks away, with the first on-track test of its new car coming on February 22 in Barcelona.

Grosjean walked away from Lotus at the end of last year to join Haas for the new season, where he will race alongside former Ferrari reserve Esteban Gutierrez.

In a post on his Twitter account on Saturday, Grosjean unveiled his new helmet design for the 2016 season, featuring plenty of Haas signage.

Grosjean also revealed earlier this week that he would be racing with a tribute to Jules Bianchi on his helmet, who died at the age of 25 last July.