IndyCar confirms it’s exploring New Orleans as potential event (VIDEO)

Leave a comment

Where there’s smoke, there’s fire when it comes to the prospect of the Verizon IndyCar Series racing in New Orleans in 2015, which was initially reported on Sunday by the Associated Press.

The official release from INDYCAR had this opening line: “INDYCAR announced today it is exploring a prospective Verizon IndyCar Series race at NOLA Motorsports Park in Avondale, La.”

This is code for, if the dollars are there and a time in the schedule is right, the event is likely to happen.

The series’ newest race – this weekend’s Grand Prix of Indianapolis at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway – was first announced as “being explored,” then featured a compatibility test and then, lo and behold, the trigger was pulled on the road course race.

As for this potential one, further details are set to be revealed as of noon CT on Monday. Here’s what we know now:

  • It would be known as the INDYCAR Grand Prix of Louisiana.
  • It would be organized and promoted by Andretti Sports Marketing, who continue to expand their footprint in the motorsports arena.
  • The announcement of today’s press conference was made jointly today with Gov. Bobby Jindal and Laney Chouest, owner of NOLA Motorsports Park.
  • The state of Louisiana, upon approval by its Legislature, would commit $4.5 million to make necessary enhancements to the racetrack in support of the potential event. This investment, combined with private funding from NOLA Motorsports Park, will help facilitate track and facility improvements as required by INDYCAR.

“We’re delighted by this broad show of support and encouraged by the prospect of a Verizon IndyCar Series race in New Orleans,” Mark Miles, CEO of Hulman & Company, the parent of INDYCAR and IMS, said in a release. “We greatly appreciate Laney Chouest, his associates at NOLA, and the state of Louisiana for their efforts to make enhancements to NOLA Motorsports Park. With these improvements we’re confident that NOLA can meet our standards for safety, fan experience and quality of racing. We look forward to continuing this dialogue in hopes of making New Orleans a destination that may soon host a Verizon IndyCar Series event.”

Added Gov. Jindal, via the release: “This is great news for our entire state. A three-day event would allow us to show off the excitement of an IndyCar Series race right here in Louisiana, as well as our state’s culture, entertainment and food. This event would be a great economic driver for our state and a great weekend for the whole family. Verizon IndyCar Series events serve as the gathering point for automotive industry leaders and INDYCAR sponsors, most of which are Fortune 500 companies. As a result, NOLA Motorsports expects several businesses to locate to Louisiana once the race is scheduled, which will create more great jobs and economic momentum for Jefferson Parish and our state.”

INDYCAR, by way of the Mazda Road to Indy ladder system, has already had experience at NOLA Motorsports Park with rounds of the 2014 Cooper Tires Winterfest held there. Here’s an on-board camera from Belardi Auto Racing’s Florian Latorre in USF2000. Latorre now drives for Cape Motorsports with Wayne Taylor Racing.

Additionally, here is some older footage of Gustavo Yacaman in one of Michael Shank Racing’s Daytona Prototypes.

We’ll see if this comes together and if today’s announcement is the first step towards the first new permanent, purpose-built road course race joining the IndyCar calendar since Barber Motorsports Park in 2010.

Here’s what drivers said after Sunday’s INDYCAR race was postponed until Monday

IndyCar
Leave a comment

Here’s what several drenched drivers had to say after Sunday’s Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama was postponed until Monday morning (11:30 a.m. ET, LIVE on NBCSN):

JOSEF NEWGARDEN (No. 1 Hitachi Team Penske Chevrolet, 2017 Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama winner, 2018 pole winner): “It’s tough because we have so many people that come out here to watch us. We want to put on a good race. We want to put on a show. So calling the race, running around behind the pace car not running, it’s tough, it’s tough to do that. But I think it was the right thing in the end. When we started the race, the conditions were OK. You could run at that level of rain. Then, it intensified right before that first caution. I think when the caution came out, it got to a point where it was just too much. There was too much puddling and pooling of water on every straightaway. Then the rivers started flowing, high-speed compressions in Turns 1 and 2, fast corner, 12 and 13, fast corner where the river starts to form. Just tough. I mean, look, we love racing in the rain. It’s got nothing to do with not wanting to run in the rain, not being able to do that. It’s that this type of track with this water level was too much to race today. We’ve run here in the rain before, but it intensified to the point where you’re starting to get in a situation where it’s going to take it out of the drivers’ hands. What happened with Will (Power), I don’t think is a driver error. I don’t know how anyone is going to drive hydroplaning on the front straightaway. I think you would have had that for the rest of the track, too. A tough situation. Thanks for the fans that came out and supported us. Hopefully we’ll get some people back tomorrow and we’ll get the show in and put on a great event.”

MATHEUS “MATT” LEIST (No. 4 ABC Supply AJ Foyt Racing Chevrolet):
“Tough day so far. We had some problems with our radio and fuel alarm, but otherwise the car was alright. It was just too dangerous out there, we couldn’t see anything, so I think they made the right call. Hopefully we’ll have a good race tomorrow.”

WILL POWER (No. 12 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet): “It’s just a real shame for everyone on the Verizon Chevy team. The car was good and we were doing our best out there, but it was really hard to see anything in front of me. The conditions were just so bad. As soon as I got to the frontstraight, the car just came around, and I tried to keep it off the wall, but it was hydroplaning and there was nothing I could do. I feel bad for the team and for the fans in this weather. Just too bad. Hopefully our luck can turn around when we get to Indianapolis.”

TONY KANAAN (No. 14 ABC Supply AJ Foyt Racing Chevrolet): “Very difficult day for us. In the race we were 13th at the time and we had some electrical issues, so that caused us to pit and we lost a lap. Not the ideal situation, but we don’t give up. There’s still a race tomorrow and we’re going to go for the most points. Anything can happen.”

GRAHAM RAHAL (No. 15 Mi-Jack Honda): “It was a tough beginning, but when we kind of got going it was OK and kind of fun to challenge for a while, but visibility was a major issue today, no doubt. I’m glad that the series postponed it. I would have like to get it in today, but that’s life. We will go racing tomorrow.”

ALEXANDER ROSSI (No. 27 Kerauno / MilitaryToMotorsports.com Honda, Verizon IndyCar Series points leader): “I think definitely the right decision was made to red flag the race. It’s a very difficult position for everyone to be in. It’s never the result that you want, but safety is obviously a priority. I think everyone did a good job considering the conditions of looking out for each other. Not being able to see is not doing anybody any good. It is hard for everyone, but glad that we’re all in one piece and try again later.

TAKUMA SATO (No. 30 Mi-Jack / Panasonic Honda): “As you could see on TV, if you couldn’t see the car, it was probably three times worse in the cockpit on the main straight or any straight. You had to completely trust the guys that they were accelerating. Never the less, I made good progress on the short stint and I made up a few positions.  The car was working well, but also was aquaplaning a lot, too, so I have to respect INDYCAR’s decision for everyone’s safety. Now we really need to concentrate on having a good car for tomorrow. I’m sorry for the fans that sat in rain all day, but thank them for their support.”

RENE BINDER (No. 32 Binderholz tiptop timber Chevrolet): “It was a short day. In the beginning the conditions were not that good, but afterwards the conditions started to improve. The race was stopped, then restarted, and I think the conditions were not too bad at that point. Unfortunately, it was red flagged again and then cancelled for the day. It would have been nice to get halfway, but we will come back and try again tomorrow.”