Alonso won’t kid himself about podium chances

1 Comment

Fernando Alonso has refused to say that he will be in contention for a podium finish at the Spanish Grand Prix this weekend, believing that it would be a lie to do so.

The Spaniard finished on the podium at the last race in China after edging out Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo in the final few laps. However, with all of the teams set to bring upgrades to the race that should give their cars added performance and pace, the pecking order could be shaken up once again, and for this reason Alonso is unsure of his chances.

“We cannot start the weekend thinking to be on the podium, thinking to win the race,” he explained on Thursday in Spain. “That will be creating wrong and false targets to everyone that will come here.

“We finished ninth and tenth in Bahrain, we did podium in China because we had some things putting together on that Sunday but it’s not that we are in a position now to say we will fight for the podium here.”

Alonso won last year’s race at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, but the field was far closer back then. In 2014, Mercedes has won the opening four races of the season with relative ease, and the German team looks set to make it five on the bounce this weekend.

Nevertheless, Alonso is going to do all he can to give the Spanish fans something to smile about on Sunday.

“We will do our best but we know that it’s going to be a tough weekend, not going to be easy,” he said. “But you never know, this is sport and anything can happen.

“But today, sitting here, if I tell you that I will fight for the podium, probably I will lie to you and I don’t want to do so for all the people coming.”

The Callaway Corvette GT3 is coming to America, in PWC

Photo: Callaway Competition USA
Leave a comment

Pirelli World Challenge has been in need of some good news from a car count standpoint early into this offseason, and receives it Monday with confirmation Callaway Competition will bring its GT3-spec homologated Corvette C7 GT3-R Stateside next season.

The withdrawal of the factory Cadillac Racing program after PWC’s season finale in Sonoma in September has opened the door for the factory-blessed Corvette C7 GT3-R to run in North America, because Cadillac’s ATS-V.R has been the lone GT3-spec car under the General Motors awning for the last three seasons, while the Callaway Corvette has raced only internationally.

Reeves Callaway has been on site at the tail end of the PWC season to survey the opportunity and now a deal has been struck for a factory effort to run next year, before the Callaway Corvette program becomes a customer effort in 2019. This follows the same timeline as Acura did with its new NSX GT3 this year to run it as a factory program in 2017 before shifting to customer efforts in 2018.

“Joining the Pirelli World Challenge has been a long term objective for Callaway Competition,” Callaway said in a release. “Now the field is a roll-call of the most capable sports cars from every country. To do well here, you must beat the best in the world. What better way to showcase our iconic American car?

“For 2018, we will run a Callaway factory team to give us the best chance of continuing the championship record the Corvette has achieved in international competition. For 2019, we will not race against our customers, but provide high-quality support to them in the tradition of other manufacturer customer racing support programs.”

“For several years fans have asked when they would see the Callaway Corvette GT3 run in the Pirelli World Challenge,” added Greg Gill, President and CEO of Pirelli World Challenge. “The wait is over and we are very pleased to announce the arrival of the Callaway Corvette GT3 for the 2018 season.”

The Callaway Competition USA Corvette C7 GT3-R will be unveiled and both full season drivers announced at the Performance Racing Industry show in Indianapolis on December 7 at the Pirelli World Challenge booth. Following the unveiling event, the car will be on display for the remainder of the trade show. Details of the presentation will be announced in the coming weeks.

Callaway’s confirmation comes amidst the likely drawdown of potentially nine or 10 cars that raced in PWC’s GT and GTA ranks either all season or most of it in 2017, among at least five manufacturers. That’s not to say those losses can’t be recouped elsewhere on the grid, over the next several months before the St. Petersburg season opener in March.

PWC will hold its annual state of the series and competitor meeting to finalize the next year’s plans at the PRI show as well.