Credit: Leigh Spurgur/INDYCAR

102-year-old woman takes IndyCar two-seater ride with Mario Andretti


Six years ago, 96-year-old Muncie, Indiana resident Edith Pittenger received an IndyCar two-seater ride with two-time Indianapolis 500 winner Arie Luyendyk.

Now 102 years old, Mrs. Pittenger is a centenarian. But that’s clearly not slowing her down.

Today, she took another two-seater ride at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, this time with 1969 Indy champion Mario Andretti at the wheel. The ride came courtesy of Scott Jasek, co-owner of the Indy Racing Experience, which runs the two-seater program.

“My family knew it was something I wanted to do back then, and it was so much fun I wanted to do it again,” Pittenger told “And it was just as much fun this time.”

“It just shows that you can be too young to ride but you’re never too old,” Andretti said.

Per the series, nearly 40 members of her family were in attendance to see her return to the Brickyard today; those family members gave her the Luyendyk ride in 2008 as a Christmas gift. Mrs. Pittenger saw her first Indy 500 in 1948.

Edith Pittenger sits behind Mario Andretti as the two make their way around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Photo: Leigh Spurgur/INDYCAR

Pippa Mann, breast cancer survivors paint IMS’ start/finish line pink

Photo: IndyCar
Photo: IndyCar
Leave a comment

We’ve written a fair bit on MotorSportsTalk about the efforts Pippa Mann has done in working with the Susan G. Komen Foundation for breast cancer awareness. Susan G. Komen has supported Mann’s last two runs at the Indianapolis 500, when she’s driven the No. 63 Honda for Dale Coyne Racing.

This being National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the awareness hit a new level with Mann working alongside breast cancer survivors to paint the start/finish line at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway’s iconic Yard of Bricks pink for the day.

IMS president Doug Boles also joined in the opportunity.

View a selection of photos and social posts below. More is linked here, via

Mercedes set to clinch F1 constructors’ championship in Russia

SOCHI, RUSSIA - OCTOBER 08:  Lewis Hamilton of Great Britain and Mercedes GP speaks with members of the media in the paddock during previews to the Formula One Grand Prix of Russia at Sochi Autodrom on October 8, 2015 in Sochi, Russia.  (Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

For the second year in a row, Mercedes is poised to wrap up the Formula 1 constructors’ championship in Sochi at this weekend’s Russian Grand Prix.

Mercedes won its first F1 teams’ title in Russia last year, having returned to the sport as a works constructor in 2010. When it last enjoyed such status in the 1950s, there was no championship for the teams.

Just as it did in 2014, Mercedes has dominated proceedings in F1 this season, winning all but three races and sweeping to eight one-two finishes to leave drivers Lewis Hamilton (pictured) and Nico Rosberg battling for the drivers’ title for the second straight year.

Now, Mercedes seeks the knock-out blow in the constructors’ title race by officially wrapping it up in Sochi this weekend.

To do so, the team must simply outscore rivals Ferrari by three points this weekend. The lead currently stands at 169 points, with 215 still on offer. After Sochi, there will be 172 remaining.

“We return to Russia with positive memories from last season, when the team sealed the first constructors’ title for Mercedes-Benz with a one-two finish,” team boss Toto Wolff said.

“A repeat performance in Sochi would be fantastic and this is absolutely the target – but we are under no illusions that it will come easy. The job is not done yet.”

The tire allocation for this weekend’s race could pose problems to Mercedes just as it did in Singapore, potentially allowing Ferrari to spoil the party and delay the victory celebrations at Brackley.

However, if the form book is to be trusted, Sochi could be playing host to another Mercedes party on Sunday night with a second world title in the bag for the Silver Arrows.