(Photo courtesy GregAndersonRacing.net)

Four-time NHRA champ Greg Anderson reveals how close he came to death without preseason heart surgery

1 Comment

In a very compelling – if not downright scary – story in the Spartanburg (S.C.) Herald Journal, for the first time four-time NHRA Pro Stock drag racing champ Greg Anderson reveals just how close he came to death had he not undergone heart surgery that forced him to miss the first six races of the 2014 season.

“The doctor told me we had to replace it (a failing bicuspid aortic valve),” Anderson told veteran drag racing writer Bobby Bennett Jr. of CompetitionPlus.com. “I told him I was a week away from starting the season, and I couldn’t do it (surgery).

“The doctor pleaded with me to get the procedure done because at any time it could explode with the higher blood pressure associated with driving a race car.”

The admittedly stubborn Anderson was ready to overrule the doctor and continued preparing for the season-opening NHRA Winternationals in Pomona, Calif.

But prodding from Anderson’s wife and parents convinced him to undergo what wound up being life-saving surgery. Had he not, Anderson likely wouldn’t be with us today and back to racing in this weekend’s NHRA SouthernNationals in Commerce, Ga.

“When I came out of the surgery, (his doctor) told me I absolutely wouldn’t have made it through the first race,” Anderson said. “The doctor said the artery was so weak when he touched it, it just fell apart. The lining had been stretched so far and so thin. It wouldn’t have lasted through one more blood pressure spike.”

Even when he was being wheeled into the operating room, Anderson’s mind was still on racing when it should have been on recovery, asking his surgeon if everything went perfectly, could he move up the timetable for Anderson to return behind the wheel.

Fate took care of that question when Anderson suffered excessive blood loss, prompting doctors at first to think he had experienced a stroke.

“I’d look at them and want to talk, but the words wouldn’t come out right,” Anderson told Bennett. “They’d ask my name and I’d respond, ‘hockey puck.’

“I knew what I wanted to say, I just couldn’t answer. This went on for two days and they told my family I’d likely had a stroke and would never be the same. …They finally took me down and did a CAT scan and it came back negative for a stroke. On the third day, I was back and answered every question correctly.”

Now that he’s back to racing, Anderson is glad he listened to his family, rather than remain bullheaded.

“I feel very fortunate, the luckiest man in the world,” Anderson said. “I was this close to making the wrong decision because we, as racers, cannot sit out of a race. That seemed more important, to race. And, my family talked me into the right decision. I was too stupid to make the right decision.”

To read the rest of Bennett’s excellent story, click here.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Ecclestone has ‘no doubts’ Monza will remain on F1 calendar

1 Comment

MILAN (AP) Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone is confident the Italian Grand Prix in Monza can find the needed cash to stay on the calendar.

Ecclestone tells the Gazzetta dello Sport, “We will find the right solution – I no longer have doubts – to provide a future for the Italian GP.”

No circuit has hosted more F1 racing than Monza, but officials at the track outside Milan have had trouble producing the estimated 25 million euros ($26.6 million) per year that Ecclestone seeks to keep the race in place after the current contract expires next year.

Ecclstone says, “Things have been cleared up and there is only one go between, (Angelo) Sticchi Damiani, the president of the Italian Automobile Club.”

The Italian GP next year is scheduled for Sept. 4.

Alternative engine solution rejected by F1 Commission

Nico Rosberg

Plans to introduce a new alternative, cheaper engine into Formula 1 for 2017 – hypothetically a 2.2-liter V6 similar to what is seen in IndyCar – will at least temporarily go on the backburner.

The F1 Commission has rejected the so called “alternative engine solution,” where several companies submitted proposals to be that alternative supplier.

“The F1 Commission voted not to pursue this option at this stage — however, it may be reassessed after the Power Unit manufacturers have presented their proposal to the Strategy Group,” the FIA said on Wednesday.

“The parties involved have agreed on a course to address several key areas relating to Power Unit supply in Formula One,” the statement added.

Meanwhile the statement outlined four things the current manufacturers – Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault and Honda – would be tasked with improving on the current 1.6-liter formula:

Those are:

  • a guarantee of supply to teams
  • the need to reduce the engines’ cost
  • simplification of the specification
  • “improved noise”

Further meetings between the manufacturers and the governing body are scheduled, including one this weekend at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix season finale.

As F1 heads into the final weekend of the season, political/paddock items such as Red Bull and Toro Rosso’s respective power unit futures, whether Renault’s takeover of Lotus will finally become official and what will happen with Manor’s team leadership stake – this marks Graeme Lowdon and John Booth’s final weekends although ex-McLaren man Dave Ryan has been hired as the team’s new racing director – are among the talking points.

Stoffel Vandoorne’s Super Formula test hampered by engine woes

Jenson Button, Fernando Alonso, Stoffel Vandoorne
1 Comment

You couldn’t make this stuff up.

Dominant GP2 Series champion Stoffel Vandoorne had his first go in a Super Formula car at Suzuka on Wednesday, but the engine woes that have hampered his Formula 1 team’s efforts (McLaren) all season appear to be equal opportunity woes.

Vandoorne only completed a limited day of running due to technical issues; naturally, and in an unfortunate coincidence, the Super Formula cars also have Honda power.

The Belgian is now en route from Japan to Abu Dhabi, where this weekend’s final round of the GP2 season will be held alongside the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

FIA Formula E to remain at Battersea Park following vote

1 Comment

Wandsworth Council’s Community Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee voted seven to four late Tuesday night, in favor of retaining the FIA Formula E event in Battersea Park.

This will see the London ePrix – the season finale for the electric open-wheel championship – continue at the site for at least the next two seasons.

The 2016 race will run July 2-3, to avoid a direct head-to-head clash with the British Grand Prix a week later in Silverstone.

Battersea Park’s race faced local opposition in recent weeks, which put the race under threat.