Much vote: Dogecoin community votes Josh Wise into All-Star Race


The power of new media, social media, and the seemingly unstoppable Doge meme has propelled underdog driver and team Josh Wise and Phil Parsons Racing into the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race by way of the Sprint Fan Vote.

Which means he beat Danica Patrick. Or Danica’s boyfriend, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. Or the guy that drives the 3, Austin Dillon. And the other drivers who failed to advance.

Patrick wasn’t pleased. “It is what it is,” said Patrick, in a piece written by Sporting News’ Bob Pockrass. “That’s what it is. It’s outside sources that are in control. I know my fans voted a lot and I understand that I actually had more votes this year than I did last year by a fair amount.”

Details of the Sprint Fan Vote, how many votes Wise received or how many he won by were not revealed. But he was notified immediately after taking the checkered flag of Friday night’s Sprint Showdown preliminary race, where he finished 18th.

Via Jeff Gluck of USA Today, Sprint Showdown winner Clint Bowyer told Wise, “For you and your community to beat Danica out is saying something.”

It’s a huge payday for the small team, too. Per MRN Radio’s Dustin Long, Wise’s team is set to make an extra $70,000 in prize money.

Wise has been a driver on the rise thanks the popularity of the Dogecoin Internet cryptocurrency, which gathered enough crowd funding to sponsor his No. 98 car at Talladega a couple weeks ago and returned for an encore for the All-Star Race this weekend. A video of Wise and the Dogecoin car taking out others also gained traction this week.

“This is huge for me and my team,” Wise said post-race. Via Pockrass, Wise said this is big deal for sport because of a lot of young people who wouldn’t tune in are tuning in.

It’s definitely exposing the sport to a newer generation of fan, and to a point, it’s also a case of new media support trumping on-track performance.

But it’s hard not to love an underdoge, and the Wise-Dogecoin story is a welcome tonic in a world of mostly blasé, corporate pitchmen who often relay the same trite cliches in interviews.

Yeah, they’re not going to win on-track. But they’re doing well to win off it.

Much respect.

Status targets 2016 GP2 title after GP3 exit

2015 GP2 Series Round 8.
Autodromo di Monza, Italy.
Sunday 6 September 2015.
Marlon Stockinger (PHL, Status Grand Prix) 
Photo: Sam Bloxham/GP2 Series Media Service.
ref: Digital Image _G7C2088
© GP2 Series
Leave a comment

Status Grand Prix has set its sights on winning the 2016 GP2 Series championship following its decision to close down its GP3 team at the end of the current season.

Earlier this week, GP3 issued a statement confirming its team roster for the next three seasons that featured new entries from DAMS and Virtuosi Racing.

However, both Carlin and Status did not appear on the list, signalling that both had opted to leave GP3 at the end of 2015.

Status first entered GP3 back in 2010, but only set up a GP2 team in 2015 after taking over the old Caterham Racing operation.

This will now become the main focus for the Irish outfit, though, as explained by team boss Teddy Yip Jr. earlier this week.

“Status Grand Prix has not renewed entry into the GP3 Series from 2016 onwards in order to maximize focus on our GP2 campaign,” Yip said.

“Having finished second in the team championship in the inaugural GP3 Series, we have enjoyed six successful years in the category collecting nine race wins, 26 podium finishes and vying for numerous team and driver titles.

“We are very proud to have given opportunities and achieved success with drivers such as Robert Wickens, Antonio Felix da Costa, Alexander Sims and our current GP2 race winner, Richie Stanaway.

“We now look forward to finishing the 2015 GP2 and GP3 seasons on a high before mounting a robust GP2 title campaign in 2016.”

Both GP2 and GP3 return from a one-month break next weekend in support of the Formula 1 Russian Grand Prix.

Hakkinen: Verstappen is already “a real pro”

during a media interview at the Shanghai Grand Theatre prior to the 2015 Laureus World Sports Awards on April 15, 2015 in Shanghai, China.
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Two-time Formula 1 world champion Mika Hakkinen has heaped praise upon Toro Rosso rookie Max Verstappen, supporting his decision to ignore team orders during last month’s Singapore Grand Prix.

Verstappen only turned 18 on Wednesday, but has already made a big impression on the F1 world during his first 14 races with his aggressive driving style and mature approach to racing.

In Singapore, Verstappen was told by Toro Rosso to let faster teammate Carlos Sainz Jr. go past, but refused to give up his position and eventually beat the Spaniard to finish eighth.

Writing in his Hermes blog, Hakkinen backed Verstappen’s decision to stay ahead and praised the Dutchman for his performances so far this season.

“A driver must be alert and keep track of what is happening around him at all times,” Hakkinen wrote. “That’s what Verstappen is. He does not simply let anyone pass if it’s not for the world championship, but only a few championship points.

“Verstappen is 18 years old, but the guy’s already a real pro. Young people are developing incredibly fast nowadays, and by that I don’t mean just drivers.”

Despite having more than half a season of F1 racing under his belt, Verstappen only gained his road driver’s license on his 18th birthday, having previously been under the age limit to drive a regular car in public.