Report: Parker Kligerman eyeing possible move from NASCAR to IndyCar

3 Comments

If at first you don’t succeed in NASCAR Sprint Cup racing, try, try again – or in Parker Kligerman’s case, try IndyCar.

According to a report by Bob Pockrass of SportingNews.com, Kligerman is looking at trying to find a ride in the IndyCar Series, just a few weeks after losing his ride in NASCAR’s Sprint Cup Series.

Kligerman may have been inspired by the fact that he’s serving as fill-in driver for Kurt Busch this weekend and next in Charlotte, as Busch plans on being the first driver since 2004 to race in both the Indianapolis 500 and Coca-Cola 600 on the same day.

With the Sprint All-Star Race held Saturday night and no other NASCAR action slated for Sunday, Kligerman reportedly will be at Indianapolis Motor Speedway to see if there may be some opportunities for him.

“I’m going to be meeting with some people,” Kligerman said Pockrass. “That will be fun. … We’ll see (about my future).”

Kligerman, 23, lost his ride three weeks ago when Swan Racing abruptly shut down, costing Kligerman his job. Teammate Cole Whitt was able to continue when his team was purchased by BK Racing, which as a result expanded from a two- to three-car operation.

With few other opportunities available in NASCAR at the moment, Kligerman isn’t discounting any opportunities in any other auto racing series, but is particularly interested in the open-wheel world, given that he was a former USAC driver before coming to NASCAR.

“It’s all in the working stage, building stage and some of that is going out to Indy meeting some of those people and those sorts of things going on,” Kligerman said. “My sole focus right now is when an opportunity comes it’s the right opportunity. … I’ve got time on my side.

“I feel like making sure the opportunity is the right one, it’s the one I want to do, it’s one I am enthused about and hopefully that can forward my career and I can do good job in.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Takuma Sato’s likeness revealed on Borg-Warner Trophy (PHOTOS)

Photos; Walt Kuhn
1 Comment

INDIANAPOLIS – Rather than the traditional December unveil, this year’s reveal newest likeness added to the Borg-Warner Trophy came Tuesday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum.

Takuma Sato got to see the result of the sculpting done by William Behrends and then turned from wax, clay and ceramic into sterling silver on Tuesday evening, as the winner of the 101st Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil saw his face revealed on the trophy.

Sato took the No. 26 Ruoff Home Mortgage Honda for Andretti Autosport to the win in thrilling fashion this year over Helio Castroneves, denying the Brazilian his fourth Indianapolis 500 victory in the process. It atoned for his near-miss in 2012, driving for Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing, the team he’ll return to in 2018.

It’s been a whirlwind last week-plus for Sato, doing the podium interviews at the Japanese Grand Prix, reflecting on his Indianapolis 500 triumph, then sharing the victory spoils with another Japanese pilot in Yoshihide Muroya, who won the Red Bull Air Race World Championship at Indianapolis this weekend.

Photos of Sato’s face on the most unique trophy in sports are below. This post will be updated following tonight’s full unveil. (All photos: Walt Kuhn)